It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• Question about injectables with IUI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2005, 05:18 PM   #1
    Marie71

Marie71 HB User
    Question about injectables with IUI

Hi Everyone

Well my husband and I have decided to try IUI with injectables. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Are the side effects worse with injectables? How many more follicles do you produce? Also has anyone ever heard of something called The Gift? Apparently it is when they inject sperm into a woman's fallopian tube where the egg sits so it is more natural and the sperm has no place to travel. If anyone has heard about it can you please let me know? Thanks. Babydust to all
    Marie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 09:40 AM   #2
    stacydl
    Veteran
    (female)

stacydl HB User
    Re: Question about injectables with IUI

Hi Marie,
    I did two cycles of clomid + IUI which didn't work so we moved to injectibles, FSH in the form of Gonal F. We did two IUI's with that and the second time worked and I am finally pregnant (11 weeks tomorrow)! I wish you the best of luck and hope it happens quickly for you.
    Our problem was kind of unexplained infertility although my husband's counts were slightly on the low end. I also had a large fibroid removed in January 2004.
    You can expect to have to give yourself daily injections starting on day three of your cycle after doing a baseline ultrasound. I had to do maybe 10 days (depends on how your follicles respond) of injections followed by one injection of HCG (the ovulation trigger shot). 36 hours after the HCG, you'll have the IUI.
    During the injections, you will most likely be monitored very closely with blood tests (to check estriadiol levels) and ultrasounds to determine how many follicles you're producing and to make sure you don't overstimulate. I think I had to go in every other day for those tests.
    The first cycle with injectibles, my doc said was kind of a trial run. I guess since they didn't know how I'd respond, they started me off with the lowest dose, and increased it during that cycle. The second time, they started me off with the higher dose to get my eggs going faster. That's the one that worked.
    Many people produce multiple follicles on injectibles so the risk of multiple babies is higher than with clomid. I only produced two to three mature follicles each cycle which was good and I am only carrying one baby. I think they like you to have between two and five mature follicles at the time of the IUI.
    Best of luck to you and let me know if I can offer anymore information to help.
    Stacy

Old 01-05-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
    Marie71

Marie71 HB User

Hi Stacy

Congraultions on your BFP. We have a similar story to you. We tried clomid 3 times each time producing two or more follicles and my husbands counts are low, but motility is good. We were only going to try it once with injectables, but if the first is considered a trial run then maybe we will opt for two. Were the shots in the abdomen? It doesn't sound too bad. Once you are done with the IUI are you done with the injections? I think I could live with ten days. Thank you so much. Get plenty of rest and enjoy the next 7 months. I am really happy for you because I know what an emotional roller coaster this is. Enjoy
    Marie

Old 01-06-2005, 06:20 AM   #4
    stacydl
    Veteran
    (female)

stacydl HB User

Thanks so much for your well wishes! It certainly is an emotional rollercoaster.
    I gave myself the injections in the stomach. Alternating between about two inches to the left, right, or below the belly button. I tried it two inches above the belly button and it really hurt so I stayed away from there after that. I think you can also do it in the arm or leg too. My injections were with the tiny subcutaneous needle (right under the skin). If you need intramuscular injections, the needle is longer and you might need the injections in the bum or legs. Someone might need to help you with those.
    I never thought I could give them to myself, but I got used to it. My dh gave them to me the first few times but I was determined to learn how to do it myself just in case he wasn't there and I had to. They really aren't bad at all.
    Once you have the IUI you're done with injections. I am not sure if it's standard protocol or not but my doc also put me on progesterone suppositories starting the night after the IUI, twice a day. I am still on them in my 11th week, but will be stopping after next week. If pregnancy doesn't occur, you stop the suppositories. If it does, you usually will stay on them through the eighth week at least. I didn't have them when I did clomid. They are kind of inconvenient cause they melt inside you and then leak out so you need to wear a pad or pantyliner.
    One thing I heard was that at the time of your hcg trigger shot, your estrogen level should be about two hundred per mature follicle. I noticed (and I don't know if this has anything to do with it) but I never got my estrogen as high as it should have been until my second injectible cycle and that's the one that worked. It might be something to ask your doc about.
    Also, this last time, my husbands counts were higher than ever and I am pretty sure it's because we didn't have sex for five days this time around. They say not to let it go further than four days, but it seemed to make a difference for us. They want the final number to be at least ten million (they do all these calculations and come up with a final count at the time of the IUI). The first couple times his counts were in the thirties. The third time we abstained for three or four days and the count went into the seventies. The last time, we abstained for five days and the count was in the nineties. I don't know if that made a difference either.
    I am just trying to throw out anything that might have been a contributing factor. But talk to your doc about what they think is best of course.
    Please let me know if you have any questions!
    Take care! Stay positive! I know how hard this is. I can tell you that even though we went through all this crap for so long, it was all worth it and I would do it again (and probably will have to) in a second!
    Good luck!
    Stacy

Old 01-06-2005, 05:14 PM   #5
    Marie71

Marie71 HB User

Thank you Stacy for all the advice. I will take your advice about the injections in the abdo etc. My husband started fertility for men and we will try obstaining as well. At this point anything is worth trying. Your story sounds similar to ours, so it has given me so much hope. I needed to have some hope. I am actually starting to look forward to our next cycle. I am in the middle of a natural cycle so will start sometime the end of January. I will keep you posted. I hope you are feeling well. I am sure you will be happy to be done with the progesterone. I have taken them with our last cycles and felt pretty lousy with them. Of course I convinced myself it must be because I was pregnant. In hind site I can laugh about it now. Take Care and again Thank you so much for your support. Looking forward to hearing how you are feeling as the weeks pass.
    Marie

Old 01-07-2005, 07:32 AM   #6
    DSAK143
    Inactive

DSAK143 HB User

Hi!

I just wanted to say that I loved Injects compared to the Clomid...No real side effects with injects!
    With Injects my RE would not allow me to grow more than 3 mature follies for IUI as the % of multiples is higher with injects...with Clomid He let me do the IUI with 9 mature follies...

Hope this helps!
    D

Old 01-08-2005, 04:53 AM   #7
    stacydl
    Veteran
    (female)

stacydl HB User

Marie,
    Our stories are definitely similar and I am so glad to be able to offer a story of hope. Keep on keepin on! The success rates are pretty good for injectibles with IUI, I think. I think like 20% per cycle. (a regular couple only has a 25% chance each cycle of course it seems like all my friends got pregnant after trying one time!) My doc was going to do three cycles of injectibles before moving to IVF. Best of luck to you, I will continue to look for your posts to see how your doing! Keep us informed!
    Take care!
    Stacy

Old 01-13-2005, 06:25 PM   #8
    Marie71

Marie71 HB User

HI Stacy

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I should get AF in the next 3-4 days and then we will start injectables. Thanks to your story we have decided to try it twice instead of just once. DH is thrilled I agreed to twice. He wanted to pass along his Thanks and congrats. Sorry it has been a while since my last post, I don't log on everyday anymore. I think that has helped my mental state too. I am not even upset that I have PMS this month. It is almost a relief because I know I have a plan and this one I am actually excited about. DH has also been taking Fertility for men so he is anxious to see what his counts are. Hope you are feeling well. Sending you lots of good thoughts and I would love to hear how you are doing.
    Marie

Old 01-14-2005, 09:35 AM   #9
    stacydl
    Veteran
    (female)

stacydl HB User

It sounds like you and your hubby are really supportive of each other that's so nice! (tell him you're welcome for me too!) My husband was always so great about all this and I know it makes all the difference. I always feel so bad when women talk about how their husbands aren't willing to do this or that. Anyways, I really can't wait to hear how things go for you guys! Keep up the good attitude and let me know how things go. I am sooo rooting for you guys! I have a good feeling!
    All is well here. I am at my 12 week mark and we were able to hear the hearbeat at our last appt which made us so happy.
    Good luck and let me know how it goes or if you have any questions!
    Take care!
    Stacy

Old 01-16-2005, 10:47 AM   #10
    Marie71

Marie71 HB User

Hi Stacy

You must have been thrilled to hear the heartbeat. It is such an exciting event. Are you going to find out the sex? DH and I can't agree about whether we would do that when we get out BFP. I want to, but he wants it a surprise. We will probably wait. Our first week of marriage we made an agreeement it takes two yes answers or one no answer for all major decisions.
    You are right about supportive spouses, it makes a huge difference. I do feel badly for women who complain about their spouses on here because it can put such a strain on the relationship especially if it seems to be one person who has the problem and not both. I hear women at work complain as well and all I think about is if you complain about your spouse all day to people you really are not going to feel very loving toward them you get home.
    We will start the IUI with injectables cycle this week. I have all the signs of PMS so it looks like Day 3 will be Wednesday. I am really looking forward to this cycle. I had a dream last night and it was my grandmother (who is no longer with us) telling me to be patient it will happen. With meeting you and my dream last night I just feel so much better. Hope you are having a great weekend.
    Talk to you soon.
    Marie

Old 01-17-2005, 09:36 AM   #11
    stacydl
    Veteran
    (female)

stacydl HB User

Marie,
    What a beautiful dream! I believe that it will happen. It know how discouraging this can be at times. But, when I finally got my bfp, the nurse said, "see it really does happen, sometimes it takes time and a lot of patience, but it does happen!" Your grandmother and my nurse are right! I know my husband and I never were going to give up until we exhausted all of our options. And after that, we agreed that we would adopt so no matter what we were going to become parents which is ultimately what our goal is. That decision really helped too. For us, because we live in a state which mandates insurance to cover all infertility things, we were lucky. It would have been less expensive for us to go through IVF a few times than to adopt a child. But we would have remortgaged the house if we had to adopt. Whatever it took.
    Well, I like your idea of one no or two yes makes the decision. That is a good way to decide things. We aren't going to find out. We thought about it, but after all this waiting, what's another few months for the greatest surprise of our lives! It's going to be hard decorating and preparing but oh well!
    Praying for you and your dh for strength and patience and a bfp! Keep up the wonderful positive attitude you have and keep supporting each other.
    Take care and keep me posted!
    Stacy

Old 01-19-2005, 04:57 PM   #12
    Marie71

Marie71 HB User

Hi Stacy
    Well we start tomorrow. I will keep you posted. Hope all is well and you are feeling good. I am getting a little excited. This is the first time I have been like this. Hope it is a good sign.
    Marie

Old 01-20-2005, 09:40 AM   #13
    stacydl
    Veteran
    (female)

stacydl HB User

Hi Marie!
    I'll be thinking of you over these next couple weeks. Hope you respond well to the injections with just enough eggs to get that bfp! Good luck and keep me posted. Let me know if you have any questions along the way!
    Stacy

Old 01-25-2005, 07:13 PM   #14
    Marie71

Marie71 HB User

Hi Stacy

Well we are day 8 and we have 6 eggs so far, with another 5-6 follicles still thinking about developing. The largest ones are 1 mm so we have a ways to go. I am thinking Sunday or Monday.
    One night I managed to hit a vein when giving myself the injection so now I have a huge black bruise. So far the side effects have not been too bad, other than having a hard time concentrating at work and I am tired.
    How are you feeling? Have you started planning the nursery yet?
    Talk to you soon. I hope to be joining you on a different board shortley.
    Marie

Old 01-26-2005, 03:03 PM   #15
    stacydl
    Veteran
    (female)

stacydl HB User

Marie,
    Good to hear from you and I am so excited about all your follies! Yay! You guys must be getting excited. Do you have to go in for blood tests and ultrasounds every other/couple days? That's fun, huh? But all this will be worth it in the end. Let me know how you're progressing and how things go when it's time for the IUI.
    Sorry to hear about the vein thing. Ouch. Do you have to use the big needles or the short 1/2" ones. I only had to use the short ones. The only trouble I had was above the belly button. Ouch.
    All is well here so far. I am so nervous all the time that something is or will go wrong. My dh has been trying to keep me sane, not an easy task. We are very excited, but haven't started thinking about the nursery yet. I think after we go for the big ultrasound in a few weeks we'll start thinking about that and about registering at babies R us and stuff. That will be fun. I just want to know that everything is ok in there. It's crazy. Plus we are actually planning on redoing our kitchen and all the wood floors in the house. That is going to take a while!
    Well, best wishes for lots of mature follies and I hope you don't have to stay on the injections too much longer!
    Take care and keep me posted!
    Stacy

Closed Thread