It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• af while on provera?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #1
    nastabasta
    Inactive
    (female)

nastabasta HB User
    af while on provera?

has anyone heard of getting af while still not done with the entire course of provera? if this happens, are you supposed to stop the provera? i was just wondering if that has happened to anyone here? did you stop the provera and count the first day of bleeding as cd1 or did you finsih the entire course anyway?

i ask because it's cd41 and there isn't any sign of af. so my doctor prescribed provera for 10 days. i will start that tomorrow and once af comes i will start clomid on cd5. i'm anxious that my af will start while i'm still on provera and i won't know what to do

thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
    raven-j9
    (female)

raven-j9 HB User
    Re: af while on provera?

Hello!

I've been on provera a number of times, with my first RE (whom I despised), my OBGYN (whom I adore) and my current RE (whom I have full confidence in). I have been prescribed 10 days and 5 days of provera.

With the first RE, I started bleeding on about day 7, and they made me take the full 10 days. Subsequently, my OBGYN and current RE said that if I started bleeding while taking provera, to stop the provera - my body was ready for a "period". Given my feelings about my Dr's, I trust my OBGYN and RE on this - why keep taking it if your body is ready? I count my first day of flow as CD1 (if I just have spotting, which I oftern do on the first day, I don't count that).

Now when my RE prescribes provera, he only prescribes 5 days. For that, I take the full 5 days and usually get a period a few days after the last pill (though for some people it is a bit longer before flow starts).

Hope this helps. I would check with your Dr. if you start bleeding early, just to be sure. Good luck with the Clomid!
    Raven

Old 04-09-2005, 07:03 PM   #3
    nastabasta
    Inactive
    (female)

nastabasta HB User

hi raven
    that actually helps a lot. thanks for replying to my question. i thought that was the answer and you just confirmed it for me. i started the provera tonight and hopefully things will go as planned. i will call my doctor to double check if i start bleeding before the end of my course, but i think you're right.

thanks and take care.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:46 AM   #4
    ladybug8372
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybug8372 HB User

i have been on it twice in the last couple of years. the first time....i started after 3 days of taking provera....i was told to discontinue taking it. this last time..
    i was told and i quote " you can start your period anytime after starting the provera...on up to three weeks down the road.....stop taking the provera if your period starts before the 8th day...if you start your period on or after the 8th day...continue taking this rest of the 10 day supply." i started on the 8th day of taking provera, so i had to continue taking the last 2 pills.

so, you may start anytime after beginning the provera....or it can still take up to 3 weeks for you to get a period. hope this helps.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
    nastabasta
    Inactive
    (female)

nastabasta HB User

thanks ladybug,
    it does help. it's my third day on the provera and no sign of af yet. the last time i took it, af came 5 days after the last pill. so i suspect that will happen again this time.
    thanks for replying!

Closed Thread