It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• Hysterosalpingogram - any advice?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2005, 09:36 AM   #1
    sammieP
    Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User
    Hysterosalpingogram - any advice?

I am not sure if this is the right board to place my question but seeing as the Gyn is checking for infertility i thought this would be the place to post it!

Well, i was on depo for 5years and have been off it now for 15months and have not had af on my own (it has been induced with the use of Norethisterone tablets twice now), anyway the Gyn wants to check that my tubes are not blocked and has requested i have a Hysterosalpingogram (SALP), i was wandering if anyone has had one carried out and if so what information and advise you could give, i am very nervous and worried it may damage me internally, also afterwards could we start TTC again or would i need to leave it a month or so for the dye to come out of my cervix?

Thankou for reading and sprinklings of baby dust to all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #2
    Army Wife
    (female)

Army Wife HB User
    Re: Hysterosalpingogram - any advice?

I had a HSG done a while back. There was really nothing to it for me. I was told to take advil or something similar about 30 minutes prior, and really didn't feel much discomfort except for a little pressure. My tubes were open, however, I hear if they are not, there is more cramping with it. It was really kinda cool, as I got to watch the dye on the screen as it went through my tubes... it's the little things .

Good luck and just remember to relax...I have had friends who got pregnant the month after their HSG as it cleared their tubes out. You just never know. For me, however, still trying (11 years and counting).

Old 06-12-2005, 06:39 PM   #3
    jlteaches
    (female)

jlteaches HB User

SammieP....
    I, too, had the HSG done and there was not a whole lot to it. I did take 800mg of Ibuprofin prior to the HSG -- and I guess that probably helped. My tubes were open (so that was a good thing). I had some cramping afterward, but that is normal and I have a great hubby who took excellent care of me after!
    Just remember: Relax and it will be over with quickly!
    Good luck to you... and Welcome to the boards!
    Smiles & hugs.. Jen

Old 06-13-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
    raven-j9
    (female)

raven-j9 HB User

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. I was told to take 800 mg of a painkiller (Tylenol maybe? I'm not sure which one) about 1 hour before the procedure, and also to take antibiotics the morning before hand. The antibiotics were a one time, high dose (rather than the multi-day doses you get for infections).

I will admit to being SUPER anxious about the procedure. I felt sick to my stomach all morning, and figured it was due to nerves. Well, I found out afterwards that the antiobiotics cause stomach upset in many people b/c they are a high dose - it would have been nice to know ahead of time.

The procedure was over pretty quickly, but mine was quite painful. My tubes were wide open, so there was no pressure when the dye was injected - that part was virtually pain free. The problem was that they couldn't seem to thread the catheter through my cervix, so they used a clamp to hold my cervix open (ouch!!!). Then, they threaded the catheter in and hit the top of my uterus, which was not pleasant (ouch again!!). (I now go to a different RE, but that is not the only reason.....). I am not telling you this to scare you. I am just letting you know that everyone's experience with an HSG can be rather different. Some women feel almost nothing, while others have a different experience. I did enjoy seeing the dye run through my tubes (they had taken the clamp off by that time, so things were bearable). The plus side is that the procedure is over in a matter of minutes, so if you do have any pain, just tell yourself that it is almost over and the results are worth the effort. Good luck and hope yours is pain free!

Raven

Old 06-13-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
    stacydl
    Veteran
    (female)

stacydl HB User

I was so nervous about this test because I heard some people have a lot of pain and cramping with it. I didn't think it was bad at all. I too took 800mg ibuprofen and was put on antibiotics (just three pills, I think one the night before, one morning of and one later that day).
    One thing that also may have made a difference, and this might sound silly, but the doc placed something under my bum to elevate my pelvis. I felt a tiny cramp as the catheter was threaded through my cervix and the balloon was inflated to keep it place. That was the worst of it for me. The dye didn't bother me at all and the whole thing took five minutes. We went on fertility meds that same month so I see no reason why you couldn't start trying immediately after. Best of luck to you!
    Stacy

Old 06-20-2005, 02:56 PM   #6
    sammieP
    Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

Thankyou all so much for your input, it a great relief to know that it doesnt last long.

I had not been told by my GYN to take painkillers so i may take some Anadin Extra in the morning (this is all i have), im a little scared and concerned but hopefully it will go well, the only thing is i would have missed this month for TTC because i had the egg white CM today and my cervix is high and soft (unsure if its open) but at least i will know soon where i stand with all this

Anyhow, heres to tomorrow, keep your fingers crossed for me

Old 06-21-2005, 11:26 AM   #7
    sammieP
    Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

It was a complete flop

They managed to get the catheter into the external part of my cervix but were unable to get it through the internal part she said that something was not allowing it to pass through and if she pushed hard she could damage me internally, she said it would be best a doctor carry out the procedure but could not do it today as there was not one available and it was so undignified sitting there!

So, heres my thinking, if she could not pass it through then does that mean i am bloked? but then how can i be bloked if i have had af?

The hospital did ring me later on and say they have booked me in for a Laparoscopy now, next friday which for the NHS is really quick, i was expecting at least an 8 week wait, the only frustrating part is we are not allowed any form of intercourse untill after which will mean that we havent been able to b'dance since mid May

Any advice anyone? What am i likely to feel like after this? Sorry to be a pain and keep asking.

Babydust to all

Old 06-27-2005, 10:13 AM   #8
    polarized13
    Inactive
    (female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
    polarized13 HB User

Hi Sammy,

I'm sorry about your experience with the HSG ~ I had mine last month, and I didn't think it was that bad, I had a blockage, and the doctor was able to open it up, he had to try several times, and it was uncomfortable, but not really painful. It took around 30 minutes for the whole thing.

I would guess you probably do have a blockage, and they will be able to see better what's going on, and take care of it during your lap. I've had two of those, their much more invasive. The worst part the first time was getting the IV put in, make sure you get a nurse who knows what their doing. My first was a breeze compared to my second. It took me several weeks to recover from the second one fully. I had mine in order to treat endo, so it was a little more involved with laser, and biopsy and stuff.

I just wanted to wish you luck with your lap, make sure you keep some neosporin on your belly button insision, mine got infected the first time.

take care,

~~heather~~

Old 06-29-2005, 10:19 AM   #9
    sammieP
    Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

Oh my gosh, i am so not looking forward to this, i hate Hospitals at the best of times but i am on the ward with others who are having the same procedure or similar procedure.

My work were not impressed that i have to have time off and have given me until thursaday, which isnt bad but if im poorly i am not going in.

Im scared of needles but the amount of blood tests ive had im sure i will be fine its just the anaesthetic im worried about, and the feeling sick after

One more question tho, will i be given the results on that day or will i have to wait for another appointment to get that info?

Thanx, Sammie p

Last edited by sammieP; 06-29-2005 at 10:20 AM.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:40 AM   #10
    Kaleb's Mom 04
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

I had the HSG done a while back also, it was the first test they did to check for my infertility also. I was seeing an RE, instead of my GYN, I figured I may as well go to him since we had already been trying so long and figured he would know more about this test since he dealt w/ infertility. Well I think I would have been fine with the GYN cause there isn't to much to this test. Your Dr should tell you to take motrin or something prior to, if they don't take something on your own about 30 mins before your appt. My Dr. did it in an actual X ray room, I put the dye in, and there was some cramping, but not severe, or to bad, but my tubes weren't blocked, from what I have heard it will be more cramping and alot more uncomfortable if the tube is blocked. They then take an X ray, I had a follow up visit to go over the results. Good luck, don't worry its not to bad. I did have to have the laproscopy and hystoscopy after.
    It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Old 06-29-2005, 02:48 PM   #11
    polarized13
    Inactive
    (female)

polarized13 HB User

Sammie,

My doc talked to me right after the procedure when I came out of surgery. It was a little fuzzy but I remember exactly what he said to me ~ " everything went well, I found some endo, and lasered it out, and pushed dye through your tubes ~ one was completely blocked but I opened it up again) I have had trouble with my left tube for years, you're only supposed to need one to be functioning, but that does cause it to be harder to concieve. That's why I'm trying so hard again now, because I know it's only a matter of time (about 3 months) before it closes up again...

Good luck, sweetie, don't be scared, we've been there, you will be fine...

~~heather~~

Old 06-30-2005, 08:47 PM   #12
    jemc
    (female)

jemc HB User

Hi....hope this helps. I had my HSG today. I was super anxious. I forgot to take some pain meds prior to. My doctor is a bit of a comedian and asked how I was with pain....while inserting the speculum (did I spell that right). Anyway, I had a little bit of pain because I apparently have a small cervix that had some scar tissue. He had to "get thru" that to due the procedure. That was the worst of it....and it was not bad. I took a few advil when I got home and wore a pad all day. I've had a little cramping....similar to menstrual cramps. Now that it's done....not bad...definitely get it done.....lots of wasted energy worrying. Somewhat uncomfortable, but nothing to be scared of. Watching the dye is pretty cool too. Good luck!!!

Old 07-03-2005, 02:07 PM   #13
    sammieP
    Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

Well thanx all for the support.

The lap went ok, he said that my tubes are clear and its just my body isnt making the right hormones to ovulate so he has put me on Norethisterone 1 three x a day for 5 days, which induces a period and then as soon as i start i take Clomid for 5 days, this i have to carry out for 6 months and see what happens, i have a blood test with my first lot of Clomid and then thats it.

I just hope this works, i feel really tired and drained from the op and am still bleeding, im pretty bruised but thats to be expected.

So, maybe this is it who knows. Good luck to all and i will keep you updated.

Thanx again for the support and baby dust to you all

Old 07-03-2005, 02:55 PM   #14
    polarized13
    Inactive
    (female)

polarized13 HB User

Sammie,

Hi, I'm glad your lap went ok. You should take it easy and give yourself a few days to recover, you will probably be sore for a little while. I really hope everything works out for you with the new meds, it sounds like your doctor is doing a good job. You're taking your pre-natal vitamins already, right? Think positive and let us know how it goes!!

Take care and baby dust

~~heather~~

Old 07-04-2005, 01:23 PM   #15
    sammieP
    Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

Yep, have been on Pre-natal vits since March last year when we decided to start trying.

I do find it so frustrating at the moment as so many of my friends, work collegues are getting pregnant at the click of their fingers, well i keep clicking but nothings happening, i know many of you have been trying longer than i have but honestly how do you cope with the emotions and gritting teeth when all you want to say is ''why not me?''.

Enough moaning, we will see what happens, i am not expecting miracles but this time next year i'd like to be sat at this computer on the Pregnancy boards

Closed Thread