It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• no period 5 months.....and now.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
    nelldance
    (female)

nelldance HB User
    no period 5 months.....and now.....

OK, last year I found out that I do not ovulate, and so I do not have a regular cycle. I was put on provera to make me start. I started and then the next month, when I started they put me on clomid. When I got my bloodwrok back, the level of progesterone indicated I didn't ovulate. I did not go any further, because my husband went down to part-time and went back to school, so I lost my insurance.
    Five months ago, was my last period, until last week. I started with brown discharge, and on the third day, I bled very little. then after that for about four days it was brown again. For the whole time, I couldn't have even filled up a regular sized tampon.
    Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what this could be. My pap is normal, and my bloodwork is normal except for progesterone. There has been no further testing. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 08:39 AM   #2
    raven-j9
    (female)

raven-j9 HB User
    Re: no period 5 months.....and now.....

I am similar to you with my period. I do not ovulate, and also do not get regular periods. If I take Provera for 5 days, I will get a period. Clomid does not work for me (my progesterone level also shows that I do not ovulate on it).

My RE classifies me as anovulatory, but that is just the name, not a reason! Everything for me checks out fine (respond to Provera, respond to injectable hormones, have period if taking birth control pills, tubes open, uterus fine, etc.). I respond to injectable hormones like someone with PCOS, though I don't have PCOS. However, it is likely that my hormones are slightly off balance because of that, so that is why my cycles don't occur on their own.

My understanding is that anovulation and lack of periods could be due to hormone imbalance, insulin problems, thyroid problems, early menopause, and a host of other reasons (like anorexia, etc.). If you are on the younger side and healthy, the generic hormone imbalance may be to blame.

If you have blood work done on day 3 of your cycle, they can test for FSH, LH and some other hormones to see if your ovarian reserve is good. You may also want to have glucose done? I think that is it, to see about insulin issues (that sometimes go along with PCOS). If those are all fine, you may need to see an RE to check things out further.

Good luck - hope all goes well.

Raven

Old 07-11-2005, 09:43 PM   #3
    fawn512
    (female)

fawn512 HB User
    Re: no period 5 months.....and now.....

Hi RAven

I too am anovulatory. For unknown reason accdg to my obgyne/RE. Insulin,thyroid are normal.

My FSH,LH, estradiol are pretty low.

What meds are you currently taking?

Closed Thread