It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• hysterosalpingogram vs lap

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2006, 07:08 PM   #16
    Heyknack
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heyknack HB User
    Re: hysterosalpingogram vs lap

Comparing a lap to an HSG is like comparing apples and oranges, because they are totally different procedures and look for different things. Also, I noticed a previous post mention inaccuracy rates of the HSG test. The thing is...there is always a possibility of any test to have a certain possibility of some inaccuracy, even a blood test. So I wouldn't worry about the accuracy rates so much. A lap can give inaccurate results too sometimes. But anyway, since the tests are sooo different, which one is more accurate doesn't really matter too much. Each test has certain things it is better at diagnosing. Also, one test really just looks at the outside of the organs, while the other test gives an x-ray outline of the inside of the organs.

The lap for instance is where a tiny camera (scope) is inserted through your belly button to examine the outside of the ovaries, uterus, follopian tubes and other abdominal organs. So, often this can detect scar tissue or actual lesions of endometriosis, or ovarian cysts, or tumors that may be on the outside of these organs. Endometriosis is usually what doctors are looking for with a lap. You must be asleep under general anesthesia for this test.

The HSG test is basically a fancy x-ray, where dye is injected into your uterus and follian tubes, so it highlights the inside of these areas. So it can often highlight fibroids or tumors, or any blockages inside the uterus or follopian tubes, or unusual shape of the uterus. Total blockages of the follopian tubes or uterus is best detected with the HSG, as opposed to the lap. The HSG is done while awake, no anesthesia required (but take some Advil first ).

Don't know if that helps anyone, but I think it's always better to be informed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread