It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• HSG test - any advice? mine is coming soon

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
    JustDance
    Veteran
    (female)

JustDance HB User
    HSG test - any advice? mine is coming soon

After what seems like an eternity, I am finally scheduled for an HSG (hysterosalpingogram) test next Thursday at 9am. My first question is for those who have had this test before - do you think I will be able to return to work that afternoon, after the test? I heard that there is discomfort/pain involved and I don't have the highest threshold of pain. (I know, and I want to have a baby? Yes.)
    Anyway, any other advice or thing I should expect. Does the pain go away right after the test? I really can't wait to see if my tubes are blocked or open - it is pretty obvious?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
    koukla3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

koukla3 HB User
    Re: HSG test - any advice? mine is coming soon

Hi JustDance ,

I too was so nervous for my HSG. My RE suggested taking 800mg of Ibuprofen one hour before the test to help with your uterus contracting. The test takes honestly 2 minutes and the pain is for about 30 seconds. I am not going to lie...I thought the pain was bad but just when you think you can't take it anymore it is all over! I watched on the monitor so I was able to see the dye coming out of the tubes. My RE and a radiologist both performed the test and I received the results immediately. I had mild menstrual-like cramps for about an hour after the test and that was it! I took the day off of work b/c I didn't know how I would feel but I could have easily went into work. I hope that helps ease your nerves a bit. Good luck and keep us posted on your results!

Take care

Koukla

Old 07-25-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
    TryN2BMommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Hiya Just Dance

Isn't it exciting to finally be doing something?! When I had my HSG, I took two advil (or tylenol, can't remember - whatever the dr's office advised) in the morning as soon as I woke up. I got to the hospital, and the techs explained everything to me while we waited for my dr to arrive. The test itself was inconclusive for me (after three successive tries, the dye would NOT enter my tubes). My dr didn't have any answers for me, she just said it could be one of two things...either my body was rejecting the foreign substance, or my tubes are severely blocked GEE, thanks for scaring the crap out of me!!

The insertion of the catheter was not bad at all - very similar to the pinch of a needle. As soon as it was in, the pain was over. The cramping caused by the dye was much worse for me - BUT don't get scared yet - they say that if the dye is blocked (which in my case, it was) then the pain is more severe than if it had gone right through. So, I think I experienced more pain than is normal...and like I said, we tried it three times. So if I can go through it three times, I'm sure you will be just fine - even if you don't have a tolerance for pain.

I almost didn't go back to work after the test, because I could not stop crying...not from the pain, but from the disappointment of not getting an answer & from the chance that there is a serious blockage. But, I got myself calmed down, and I went into work, and I made it the rest of the day with just very mild cramping. I did take two more advil right after the procedure, and they seemed to help a lot.

I hope this information helps you - feel free to ask any other questions. Try to relax. It's not a pleasant experience, but it is over VERY quickly...within minutes. Child birth has got to be 100% worse, and that is what we are all working towards

Good luck to you - I will keep you in my thoughts

Holly~

Old 07-25-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
    adoette
    (female)

adoette HB User

Hi JustDance!
    It does feel good to get going on your tests, doesn't it!
    I had, all told, three HSG's over a period of 12 years. Only one of them was really painful, the one with the blocked tube. I found the cramping reaaally uncomfortable, but it was pretty much over as soon as the test was over.
    Still, I wouldn't schedule yourself to run right back to work. I had to give myself an hour or so to psych up.
    Hope all goes well! We can't wait to hear how it goes.
    adoette
    IVF w/ icsi--BFP!--son 2004
    Now, FET, Aug 2006

Old 07-25-2006, 09:56 AM   #5
    paulacaldwell
    (female)

paulacaldwell HB User

Hi Just dance, I had an HSG done a few months ago and I honestly felt no pain, Id rather do an HSG ovr a pap any day, and I think that I have a low pain tolerence. It may have not been painful because there was no blockage or the dr could have just been really good. I did have cramping for the next 2 days but it was minor,I think I could have gone back to work. Either way you might want to take some pain relievers just in case. I wish you lots of luck for this test and for a baby to follow soon after. Did you know that your chances of PG could increase by up to 30% after this test? Lots of luck to you!!!!

Old 07-25-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
    ASPROUSEY05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASPROUSEY05 HB User

i did an hsg and im usually not a baby about pain, and it hurt like heck that pain was over in about 2 min but right after the test i was very crampy walking to my car and getting changed hurt, but id say about 20 min later it subsided and i carried on and went shopping, so say ur test is at 9 and ur done at 9:30 id wait until like 11 and u should be ok to go back to work! gooood luck, i had a much harder time with the hyseteroscopy which was suppose to be easier (i have a very inverted cervix and would not dialiate) therefore i had to reschedule and be put under! so every1 is different i think u will be fine

Old 07-25-2006, 01:18 PM   #7
    Marie1971
    (female)

Marie1971 HB User

I Had An Hsg Several Months Ago, My First. My Doctor Gave Me A Shot Of Something That Was Supposed To Reduce The Cramping And It Worked, They Had To Give It To Me So Many Minutes Before The Hsg, You Should Ask Your Doctor About That, I Wish I Knew Exactly What The Shot Was. Really The Only Pain I Felt Was When The Catheter Was Inserted Into My Uterus, It Was Quick And Surprised Me But Didn't Last More That A Second. I Had Read That The Dye Should Be Injected Slowly Because If The Dye Is Injected Too Fast It Can Cause More Pain And Show A Blocked Tube When One Isn't Present. The Article I Read Even Sugested That You Remind The Technician Or Your Doctor To Inject Slowly, I Didn't Have The Nerve To Do This But He Injected Slowly Anyway.
    Don't Really Remember If I Went To Work Or Not, I Think I Went Home But Don't Remember Much Discomfort Or Not. I Don't Have Any Endometriosis Or Lesions Or Anything, Which Maybe Why It Wasn't Painful....don't Know But Good. Luck!!!

Old 07-25-2006, 01:30 PM   #8
    JustDance
    Veteran
    (female)

JustDance HB User

Thank you all so much! I feel more at ease - I love this board and the help we all provide each other from it. I am definitely planning to take pain killers, which sounds like it should do the trick.
    Since I'm 33 my Dr. said that if even one tube is open that she will strongly advise us to get started on fertility drugs. :-) I really hope for some good news. I will let you all know the results of the test.
    Now, I'm feeling better about the physical aftermath of the HSG & returning to work that day - but I agree with hollyncurren, if test results are inconclusive or negative, it may be hard emotionally to return. But I'm going to try & be positive & say lots of prayers. Baby magic to you all!

ONE MORE QUESTION, I almost forgot: Did your husband accompany you on the HSG? My dh is planning to, and I want him to be there. Is that normal protocol?

Last edited by JustDance; 07-25-2006 at 01:42 PM.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:46 PM   #9
    paulacaldwell
    (female)

paulacaldwell HB User

Hello again, my DH was waiting there afterward to drive me home, but I ended up not needing him to( wasnt sure what to expect). I dont know why but I prefer to go to all of appts alone, DH and friends offer to come but its just one of those things that I cant really explain. I think that if you would feel better if your DH is there, he should most definetly be there. You'll do fine!!

Old 07-26-2006, 05:11 AM   #10
    TryN2BMommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Hi again Just Dance

He didn't come with me because he would have had to miss work, and I never expected I would need him emotionally (I was expecting positive results). But, at the same time, I was very glad he wasn't there because when the dye ran back out, it was VERY messy. Even the technician was surprised...I was really grossed out by it. Now, I don't know if it gets that messy for everyone, or if it was just because it didn't work for me. I did call him afterwards, and I cried on the phone w/ him, and he calmed me down, so it all worked out in the end.

If he wants to be there and you want him there with you, then I am sure your dr will accomodate. It might be nice to have a hand to hold...

Best of luck to you!

Holly~

Closed Thread