It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• knowing if you ovulate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
    besafe20
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

besafe20 HB User
    knowing if you ovulate

Hi. My husband have been actively trying to conceive for 6 months, and I know I hit my fertile days (if I really ovulate.) I am always regular and have used opks. They are positive each month when I would expect them to be and I also get my period 2 weeks after a positive opk. I have heard that a postive opk does not mean you ovulate for sure. My friend told me the fact that I have regular cycles and always start my period two weeks after the positive opks means that I most likely do ovulate. Is this true? I got pregnant with my son (just turned 3) very easily. Complete accident actually. I am concerned as to why this is taking so long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
    Want2BMom
    (female)

Want2BMom HB User
    Re: knowing if you ovulate

Most likely you do ovulate... how old are you? if under 35 you are not considered to have a problem until after 12 month of actively trying to conceive. If you are over 35 - then 6 months is the time.

-Dana.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
    ALM
    Veteran
    (female)

ALM HB User

It sounds like to me that you ovulate. Although, it is true that a pos. OPK doesn't actually mean that ovulation is taking place. The pos. OPK is your LH surge, which happens about 12 to 24 hours before ovulation. But, since you accidently got pg. with your 1st and since you are regular, it is likely that you do ovulate. I know that six months seems like a really long time but it really isn't that long when you think about the percentages of a healthy couple being able to conceive any given month. It is only around 20 to 25% in the first 12 months and then goes down if a couple hasn't conceived in the first 12 months.

I would give it a few more months and then seek some help from obgyn and then if that didn't work, seek out an RE.

Good luck to you!! I hope you get your BFP really soon. By the way, my DD is almost 3, too. I think you said your child was close to 3. I know how badly you must want to give your child a sibling. I want the same. My DD prays every night and asks God for a baby sister.

Anna Leigh

Old 02-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #4
    besafe20
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

besafe20 HB User

Thank you for the replies. I am only 24. Another reason I would expect to get pregnant quickily. I feel better that you think I probably ovulate. I have a good friend who is 27 and got pregnant with her son the first try and now 4 years later she still hasn't been able to conceive again. For some reason she does not ovuate anymore. But her cycles are also very irregular.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
    ALM
    Veteran
    (female)

ALM HB User

Hi besafe. It seems like secondary IF is more common than I thought. I have heard of lots of women who have had trouble conceiving the second child. I just don't know anymore if it is going to happen for us. I just had a BFN from my first IUI. Dh and I are going to take a break from IUI this month b/c our insurance doesn't cover the IUI's. I think I will have a HSG this month just to make sure that everything is clear.

Good luck to you!

Anna Leigh

Old 02-24-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
    Kari15
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kari15 HB User

Hi BeSafe, I also have very regular cycles and usually detect a surge on OPK, but have had trouble conceiving for what's now been almost 2 years (started TTC when 28, whick I thought was a young healthy age to do so). Even though I detect the LH surge, I sometimes doubt whether I always ovulate cause I don't get any other symptoms, like EWCM or O-pain. Do you have any other symptoms?

Since being on injectables for 2 months now, I feel a bit more in control as there is more monitoring that goes along with that. Last cycle I saw a very good sized follicle through U/S and then taking the trigger shot made me feel more comfortable that I actually ovulated. Unfortunately AF did show, but it was exactly 14 days after IUI. Again, a good sign that I did O.

Good luck to you and I hope your DS gets a baby brother or sister very soon!

Old 02-26-2007, 09:28 AM   #7
    besafe20
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

besafe20 HB User

My only symptom of ovulating is I get the EWCM but a few days before ovulation. Seems when I actually ovulate the EWCM is all but dried up. I don't know if this could be a problem.

Closed Thread