It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• How long does clomid take?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
    PuppyLove717
    (female)

PuppyLove717 HB User
    How long does clomid take?

I am on my 3rd round of clomid. I take it days 5-9(100mg). I only ovulated once from the clomid and it was on cd 18 and that cycle I got pg but m/c at 6 wks. Today I went for my cd12 u/s and b/w and they said I have one follicle at 10mm. I have to go back fri to see where were at. I just wonder why its so small shouldn't the clomid make them bigger than that by this time in my cycle? Does ovulating later in the cycle increase chances of m/c? What about small follicles and egg quality? I am just nervous cause I feel like im not responding very fast and this was supposed to be my 1st round with ovidrel. How big do the follicles have to be before taking ovidrel? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
    TryN2BMommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TryN2BMommy HB User
    Re: How long does clomid take?

Hi Puppy,

It seems like you are just O'ing late, which is not a bad thing as long as you still have at least 10 days between O and next AF. I think you are probably right on schedule.

It does seem like clomid may not be the wonder drug for you though, if you've been on it a couple times and only O'd once. Has your dr mentioned trying anything else?

I believe drs like to see the follies at least at 18 or 20 before doing the ovidrel shot. That way they can be sure they are mature.

Wishing you great news at your next appt!!

Holly

Old 06-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
    PuppyLove717
    (female)

PuppyLove717 HB User

Thanks Holly. Your right, the nurse said they like to see the follies atleast 18-20. Last cycle they said I was ovulating and it was only at 17mm. Is it possible thats the reason I m/c? bc the follicle wasn't mature- or will a immature follicle never release on its own anyway? IF is soo confusing. What is usually the next step if clomid doesn't work? I am curious as to how much more the medication would be. I paid a little over $100 for the clomid and ovidrel for just this month. I don't have insurance coverage so I would like to know how expensive some of these medications run per month.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
    ALM
    Veteran
    (female)

ALM HB User

Hi Puppy. I took Clomid, as well. The first time we were ttc, I took it two months (first month - 50 mg and second month - 100 mg.). I got pg with DD the second month.

My OBGYN thought that would do the trick for me the second go around ttc #2, however, it did not work for me. I took 50 mg the first month and they were unsure if I ovulated or not, based on my prog. levels. The second month, 100 mg and I had side effects and felt horrible. I can not take Clomid anymore.

That doesn't mean that it won't work for you, but, like Holly said, it may not be the wonder drug for you. I have been taking Femara since I started seeing an RE. I really like it. I have no side effects and don't feel quite as moody as the Clomid does me. This is my fourth month on it, just started it again last night, so you can see it hasn't worked yet. But, I am still hopeful. The good thing is, for us, the medication only cost $35. However, I think that it with insurance. W/out insurance it may be more like around $100. I am not sure.

Maybe the Clomid will work for you this month though. It does sound like you are a late ovulator, which is how I am, except when I am on Femara. I even ovulated later on Clomid than on Femara. When I am taking nothing, I don't even ovulate until like cd20.

Hang in there. You can definately get pg and stay pg, even though you are a late ovulator. The key is knowing when you ovulate!!

Anna Leigh

Old 06-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
    CBB
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CBB HB User

hi puppy.

clomid never worked for me and i did it for 5 cycles and working up to 250mg a day. after that i moved on to Gonal-F and it would have been about $3500 a month for me if i didn't have insurance. i know if you try the specialty pharmacies you can get it cheaper and doctors always say to shop around for meds so make sure you do that if you move on to injectables. injectables seem to be about $50 a vial and i took 4 vials a day sometimes. it can get pricy for sure.

Closed Thread