It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• Braces and TTC? Your thoughts, please.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
    JustDance
    Veteran
    (female)

JustDance HB User
    Braces and TTC? Your thoughts, please.

I need to call my RE on this one, I'm sure, but thought I'd get your opinions too. I really want to fix my teeth with braces or invisalign. They are not horrible, but I've always wanted to straighten them out (never had them when I was younger, parent's couldn't affort it). For the last 3+ years I've been putting it off and thinking "I don't want to be pg while having braces, how could I handle not taking pain killers with a sore mouth?"

BUT, here I am 3 years later and they could be done by now! I've done this with so many things, including putting off a Master's Degree (which I'm hoping to start in the Fall 07). I just want to go for it and get the braces, because who knows if/when I'll actually become pg.

I think you can take Tylenol while pg, which I would only do if the tooth pain became very, very intolerable. But I wonder if there are other shots or things needed for orthodontia work that would interfere with a pregnancy.

Any opinions? I'm going to talk to get a consult from an ortho tomorrow and then call my RE as well. Thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
    Army Wife
    (female)

Army Wife HB User
    Re: Braces and TTC? Your thoughts, please.

Hi Justdance~

At the "young" age of 31, I finally got braces. My situation was that when I was in high school, my parents said "braces or a car". Obviously, I chose 4 wheels over the railroad track look-it was much cooler to drive than walk with metal in my mouth. I got them off last year, all the while TTC. My orthodontist didn't have any reservations about it. Teeth were sore at times, but I never had to take anything, so it wasn't a problem.

See what your dr says, though.

Good luck!

Laurie

Old 06-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
    JustDance
    Veteran
    (female)

JustDance HB User

Thank you so much Laurie, Your post cracked me up. Braces or a car, ha, ha. Unfortunately I got neither, so I just got to hitch rides and walk with crooked teeth at 16, arg!

Encouraging to know. I'm now 33.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
    ivana27
    (female)

ivana27 HB User

Hi,
    I also wanted to have braces put, but I gave up the idea.
    I have to say that my dentist and his wife also struggled with infertility. Considering his personal and professional experience he said during TTC or pregnancy he wouldn't want to touch my teeth.
    Gums tend to be more sensitive during pregnancy and braces can give pain, inflammation, infection in worse case scenario. Tylenol seems to be safe, but I guees not on a daily basis. Antibiotics you can forget about.
    Considering I am trying so hard to get pregnant I don't want to risk anything. I can wait another year.
    I guess it's up to you and your doctor, depends also on how much correction you need.
    Good luck,
    Ivana

Old 06-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
    ivana27
    (female)

ivana27 HB User

Hi,
    I also wanted to have braces put, but I gave up the idea.
    I have to say that my dentist and his wife also struggled with infertility. Considering his personal and professional experience he said during TTC or pregnancy he wouldn't want to touch my teeth.
    Gums tend to be more sensitive during pregnancy and braces can give pain, inflammation, infection in worse case scenario. Tylenol seems to be safe, but I guees not on a daily basis. Antibiotics you can forget about.
    Considering I am trying so hard to get pregnant I don't want to risk anything. I can wait another year.
    I guess it's up to you and your doctor, depends also on how much correction you need.
    Good luck,
    Ivana

Old 06-06-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
    Viktorria
    Inactive
    (female)

Viktorria HB User

I had invisalign while going through IVF. My needs were very minor and I only had 4 trays, but the discomfort was minimal - really only for the first two or three days after getting a new tray. I'm sure that regular braces are probably a little more invasive and uncomfortable though, so it really depends on what type of braces you are looking at. Good luck with TTC and the braces!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
    rubynz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rubynz HB User

I'm not sure what answer to give from a medical point of view but I say GO FOR IT! I have found myself putting off so many things "in case I get PG" or "in case we have a baby then". I don't think we can keep putting our lives on hold forever. Also, it may be easier to do it now befor you have kids - imagine going to orthodontal and dental appointments with a baby in tow - no thanks!!!
    Whatever you decide to do though will be right for you - your RE won't let you make any wrong decisions.

Ruby

Old 06-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #8
    JustDance
    Veteran
    (female)

JustDance HB User

Victoria & Ivanna, thanks for your posts, good to know.

Ruby, I totally hear you! I too have put off so many things and made so many decisions for "the baby" ... what baby? So long as my RE says its ok, I'm going to do it. We'll see what they say. I'll let you know.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
    aymie
    Veteran
    (female)

aymie HB User

i had regular good ole braces when i was younger and never did i need anything more than a tylenol and i dont even remember taking that very often. We had a tradition of going for sorbet sundaes (i dont eat ice cream) to numb whatever was sore after a ortho visit.

you should go for it if you want... braces dont really hurt. they more just make your mouth sore for a few days after a visit.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
    lizzie786
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lizzie786 HB User

I don't know much about braces and TTC (I had braces when I was 15 - too long ago to remember what it was like!), but I agree with getting on with your life. I've been putting off booking flights, moving, sticking with a job I'm not happy in because the maternity pay is good, etc etc, but have now come to the point where I think it will do me the world of good to just get on with it. I'm applying for a Masters course starting Sept 07.
    I think it will distract me from the endless waiting and hoping.
    I even went out and bought a bumper box of tampons - thinking that might help! Might get pg now I won't need them!
    Whatever makes you feel better must be good for TTC.
    All the best,
    Lizzie

Old 06-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #11
    rubynz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rubynz HB User

YOU GO GIRL!!! Good luck and I look forward to hearing what your RE has to say.

Ruby

Old 06-07-2007, 11:05 PM   #12
    jowi
    (female)

jowi HB User

I got braces as part of my 'midlife crisis' when I was 29. I started TTC that year, too. I thought I would have braces while pg and by the time I had a baby, I'd have nice teeth. Here I am now 35 - STILL TTC! So those braces are long gone now. Anyway, I just wanted to post to say I never took drugs - my teeth were sore but I didn't need to take medications. Cold liquids swished around the front teeth were the best source of comfort.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #13
    Black Kat
    Veteran
    (female)

Black Kat HB User

I agree 100% with you ladies! I say if your RE gives you the ok, then go for it! I know what you mean about putting things off because of IF, and this past week I decided that I'd had enough of letting IF dictate my life! I feel like I'm missing out on so many things, and I could have already had them done by now! Maybe this will help alleviate our focus on IF, and then we'll get our BFP'S! Anyway, I wish you luck!

Kat

Closed Thread