It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• Can Anyone Here Tell Me What My FSH, LH And Testosterone Results Mean?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
    Tifferzz
    (female)

Tifferzz HB User
    Can Anyone Here Tell Me What My FSH, LH And Testosterone Results Mean?

I have posted on the hormone board and also Thyroid board about this. I am also going to post it here to see if anyone here can help me with my test results. I just had the FSH, LH and Testosterone tests done. Here are my results, I just do not know what they mean. Can anyone here please explain to me what this means?

FSH - My result was: 19
    Reference Range:
    Follicular Phase - ( 2.5 - 10.2 )
    Mid-Cycle Peak - ( 3.1 - 17.7 )
    Luteal Phase - ( 1.5 - 9.1 )
    Postmenopausal - ( 23.0 - 116.3 )

LH - My result was: 5.3
    Reference Range:
    Follicular Phase - ( 1.9 - 12.5 )
    Mid-Cycle Peak - ( 8.7 - 76.3 )
    Luteal Phase - ( 0.5 - 16.9 )
    Postmenopausal - ( 5.0 - 52.3 )

Testosterone Total - My result was: 28
    Reference Range
    Adult Female: - ( 20-76 )

I am 34 years old ..... I had the above tests done on the 3rd day of my period. I do have a 12 year old daughter (almost 13). But .... I would like to have one more child. I have read a little bit about FSH levels but am having a hard time totally understanding what it all means. If I read correctly .... I am supposed to be comparing my test results to the "Follicular Phase"? If that is correct, my FSH test result was 19. From what I have been reading ... I would have a hard time getting pregnant if I wanted to. Then I read if I did get pregnant .... I may not have a successful pregnancy. Does anyone know if this is true? I am sad now cause I am wondering if this means I will not be able to have another child and am wondering if I am starting to go into pre-menopause or something?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
    Hopefulx2.5
    Veteran
    (female)

Hopefulx2.5 HB User
    Re: Can Anyone Here Tell Me What My FSH, LH And Testosterone Results Mean?

Tifferzz,

Did your doctor's office call you with the results? If so, did they explain them to you? Your FSH does seem a bit high mine was 7.7; however, my first one was 12 and my doctor had me retest because I was taking some fertility meds at the time that may have altered the results. Are you taking any meds now, mine was also on CD 3. My doctor also said there may have been a mistake at the lab the first time I tested. But meds and IF have come a long way lately so keep your chin up.

Hang in there and most importanty find out what your doctor says and then what your options are. I know this is hard but try to remain positive.

Lots of luck to you

Old 09-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
    TryN2BMommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Hi Tifferzz,

I am certainly not an expert when it comes to hormone levels, but it does look like your FSH level is a little high. I think the FSH level is associated w/ egg quality. I agree w/ Hopeful that it's a good idea to ask your dr what s/he thinks about your results and what you should do from here. Try not to worry yet, there may not even be a problem. But if there is, there are lots of things they can do these days.

Good luck to you!

Holly

Last edited by TryN2BMommy; 09-09-2007 at 06:27 PM.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #4
    rubynz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rubynz HB User

Hi Tiff

Sorry I'm unable to help you with your test results but just wanted to say welcome. I'm sure there are many people here who will be able to offer advice.

*****BABYDUST*****

Ruby

Old 09-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
    Tifferzz
    (female)

Tifferzz HB User

Thank you so much for posting replies rubynz, TryN2BMommy and Hopefulx2.5, I greatly appreciate it! Well, my family doctor and gyno. doctor have been trying to figure out why I have been feeling the way I have. It's a long story but I will try to make it short. I moved about an hour North. I had not found a family doctor up here where I live now .... up until June 2007. So, even though I had been feeling like crap for almost a year (always tired, no energy, getting lighheaded all of the time, loss of sex drive, hair thinning, weight loss just to name a few) I never felt like driving an hour south to my family doctor.

Finally, I had enough ... found a doctor up here where I live. Went to her in June. We've been trying to figure out why I am feeling the way I have been. This new doctor checked my Thyroid and also tested for Anemia, they came back ok. She said I should see my Gyno. doctor in case it is a hormonal problem.

So, I go to my gyno the end of July 2007. He did further Thyroid testing, still came back ok. I had my Ferritin level checked ... mine was on the low side, it was 21. I've heard women's should be 70-80. My Gyno. doctor also sent me for the FSH, LH and Testosterone. However .... I was on the B.C.P. For the past 12 years. My Gyno. doctor told me to get those 3 tests done on the 3rd day of my period. So, I took my last B.C.P. on August 23, 2007. I got my period on August 27, 2007. Then did the blood work on August 29, 2007. For years now ... I am not sure why .... but I would take my last B.C.P. on a Thursday, and it would always take me 3-4 days till my period actually came. I am not sure why that is. So, when I had the FSH, LH and Testosterone blood tests done ... I had not had B.C.P's in my system for 6 days.

Other than that ... the only other medication I take is Percocet for my back. I have a collapsed disc in my lower spine along with other back problems. That was one reason I have not gotten pregnant or tried to. I have been seeing a surgeon for the past 4 years, I go several times a year. He said if I got pregnant now ... without having the Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion, he said I would more than likely be in bed for the 9 months I am pregnant. Sooooo, I was just trying to hold off as long as possible to get the back surgery, so I opted to be on pain meds. for right now until I decide to do the back surgery.

Also, I did not start a new pack of B.C.P. this month. I have brown patches on my face ... and we think they are from the B.C.P. So, I was like ok .... I am not going to start a new pack of pills right now .... I am going to give my body a break from them.

I am scheduled with an Endocronologist the end of this month. So, I will take all of my tests that I have had done over the past few months ... to that doctor. Also, no my Gyno. NEVER called me about these FSH, LH and Testosterone test results. I had sent them a letter in the mail last week, asking for copies of them because I am going to need them to take to my Endo. appointment. I got the results in the mail Saturday. Then I saw the FSH one and I started freaking out. So, then I have been spending hours online looking this stuff up. I have been reading that if you have a high level that it means that your egg supply isn't great and that it may be hard to get pregnant and then I have been reading even if I did get pregnant, you can have a hard time keeping the pregnancy.

So now I am freaking and upset because ... I am re-married and my hubby does not have any children of his own. He considers my daughter like his own, which is great .... but I would love to give him a child. Now knowing that I may not be able to is upsetting to me!! Like I am wondering if my test results mean I am starting to go into menopause or something.

Sorry this was so long, I just wanted to explain a little bit. I thought you all here would know about the FSH and LH and all of that stuff.

Does anyone know what the LH means? I think my level of that was in the normal range.

Thanks again for any of your responses and feedback, I greatly appreiciate it!! Also ... I hope all of you that are going to IVF have GREAT success!!

Old 09-10-2007, 04:25 AM   #6
    M77W
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

M77W HB User

Hi Tiff, welcome to the boards .
    I'm sorry you have to deal with IF. I'm no expert but the FSH looks a bit high, but I would have that test repeated, maybe it was just a fluke. You said you are 34 right, thats encouraging, your RE will tell you what would be your next step in means of success rates, but I did hear of pregnancies with higher FSH than yours. So hang in there, there is hope for you and your DH.
    Good luck,
    Mady

Old 09-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
    Hopefulx2.5
    Veteran
    (female)

Hopefulx2.5 HB User

Tiff,

LH stands for Luteal Hormone as in your Luteal Phase which is what an ovulation predictor detects, the luteal surge, is when your hormone starts increasing meaning that you are getting ready to O (which should happen within 36-40 hours from the surge detection. hope that helps.

lots of luck to you, your story sounds like quite the struggle. we are here for you.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:26 AM   #8
    lizzie786
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lizzie786 HB User

Hi Tiff,
    It sounds as if you have quite a lot to deal with at the moment, so I'm sending you my sympathies. Your FSH is high, but try not to panic. FSH levels can fluctuate from month to month, and one of our ladies here is currently well into a pregnancy and she had very high FSH levels. I've heard that acupuncture is very effective in bringing FSH levels down. I have no idea if BCP can affect FSH levels, but hopefully your RE will be able to explain everything to you at your next appt. Maybe go in with a long list of all your questions so you don't miss anything? Best of luck, I'm sure you have a very good chance of having another child.
    take care,
    Lizzie

Closed Thread