It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• Donor Sperm- Do You Need ICSI ???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
    Charliebrown41
    (female)

Charliebrown41 HB User
    Donor Sperm- Do You Need ICSI ???

(Child Mention)

Hi Ladies
    I am bit of a newbie at forums and message boards, so forgive me if I dont get the abbrv right.
    Both my DH and I are 41 yrs old. WE are shooting for a 2nd child. We have a 2 year son which was a result of our 1st try at IVF.
    We tried IVF /w donor sperm and my own eggs last May and that failed and since then, have switched clinics. I know this is a rare thing, but we are using a friends eggs (who is 30) w/ DS. We are paying out of pocket and cant afford a number of failed cycles. We will be in a Oct cycle. My RE is pushing us hard to have ICSI done which will cost us $2000. They are telling me that they do ICSI on all frozen DS cases.
    For those that have had to use DS -did you have ICSI done? ??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
    PrincessSweetNS
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

PrincessSweetNS HB UserPrincessSweetNS HB UserPrincessSweetNS HB User
    Re: Donor Sperm- Do You Need ICSI ???

Dearest, I do not know how to answer your questions, mainly because I have never done IVF before. But I just wanted to say welcome and these ladies REALLY know their subjects, and are amazing, so you will get your answers, dear!!

Just to introduce myself, my name is Geneviève-Angélique. I am 21, and DH is 26, and we're trying for our first. Apparently I have unconfirmed PCOS----I will be confirmed next Thursday.We have been trying for over a year, but I have always known that I would have troubles conceiving, as my period comes and goes as she please. What a witch.

Anyway, I just wanted to say welcome and I hope that your troubles are over soon, and you can get that second BFP!!!!!!!!

**************babydust*************

Old 09-21-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
    Sillygirl554
    Veteran
    (female)

Sillygirl554 HB User

Charlibrown

DH and I are expecting our first child in January. We had to us Donor Sperm to conceive. We did 9 cycles of IUI and it finally worked. I do not know waht ICSI is, it was never mentioned to us when we were figuring out our options. For one cycle of IUI, depending on ins, will cast about $600.00. We did an U/S every cycle to see how many eggs there where and if I was ready which was $300, and the IUI cost $246.00. Now, if you take meds it is a little more. We did Provera for 3 months (did not work) and we did Follistem for 3months, that worked awesome. With the meds it cost us about $680. So maybe you could ask you RE about IUI instead since it is a little cheaper.

Stephanie

Old 09-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
    Kari15
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kari15 HB User

Hi Charlie, Although I have no experience with donor sperm, I am familiar with ICSI and IVF. DH and I are about to attempt our second fresh cycle IVF (first was cancelled b/c of OHSS). We will def be doing ICSI b/c DH has poor morphology. But I have read and heard that these days ICSI is often used in fresh cycles even where there is no male factor b/c it is generally more effective that just letting the swimmers try to figure it out themselves. To me, it seems reasonable that your RE is saying ICSI is standard with frozen donor sperm. I know it's a bit more out of pocket (believe me, I know as our insur covers zilch!), but rest assured it will give you greater odds of a successful fertilization. Your little one will be a constant reminder it was worth it! Good luck, and would love to hear how things go for you.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
    sobannon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sobannon HB User

We used DS with IUI. But I understand why your RE would encourage ICSI. It increases the chances of fertilization since they are putting the sperm directly in the egg. Otherwise, the sperm would have to find their way into the egg which is alot of work for them. I know it is alot of money, we actually passed on the whole IVF thing and hoped for a good result with IUI because of financial issues. I hope works out well for you.

Amy

Old 09-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
    qt314
    Veteran
    (female)

qt314 HB User

Charlie,
    My office didn't charge me nearly the 2K yours is for ICSI, but I can tell you it's well worth it. I am also of "advanced maternal age". I've gone through IVF, and now on my 4th cycle. I've used ICSI on all cycles as I've used donor sperm as well. Whether your using donor or not, ICSI is a good thing. My first cycle (age 41 as well): my egg, donor sperm (DS) resulted in a pregnancy, but my eggs weren't as strong or as healthy so I lost the baby at 6 weeks. 2nd cycle also resulted in a pregnancy and I now have a beautiful healthy baby boy (15 months). I had enough eggs left in the 2nd cycle to freeze and I tried them just this past July. No pregnancy, but that was probably due to the fact I only had one good egg that survived the thaw (out of 5). Now I'm headed to my 4th cycle and have had no choice but to use donor eggs.

The ICSI ensures that the egg is being fertilized with the sperm. It also helps with implanting as the outer layer of the egg is cut and somehow helps it to adhere to the uterine lining. With the age of your eggs (and mine as well), it is the best avenue. In fact, my office tends to use it more often then not especially with donor sperm. This cycle they are also using ICSI, and the egg donor is 24!

Best of luck to you and your DH! Sending you lots of baby dust.
    Hope this info helps -
    stace

Old 09-23-2007, 06:54 AM   #7
    Charliebrown41
    (female)

Charliebrown41 HB User

Thanks so much for your posts, they have helped in my decision. I have discoved that in the IVF world you "Have to" educated yourself or you will make a very expensive mistake.
    Reading your posts assured me that perhaps my clinic -does want ICSI for our best interest and not to support their sucess Rates and Capital gains

I always thought that if you were using ICSI, you didnt need DS and vice-a-versa. Not both. I guess thier standards are changing.

Stace- Gald to hear I have a twin out there n I knew that ICSI helped along the fertilization process but didnt know that it helps with Implantation part as well, I thought Asssisting Hatching did that.

Kari-thanks for the info and good luck on your 2nd try. I will let you know how things go...you have to do the same.

Amy, Step and babydust-- I have either a toe or finger crossed for each of you.

Charlie

Old 09-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
    Kari15
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kari15 HB User

Charlie, I am so glad to hear you sounding more comfortable with ICSI now. I'm so hopeful that this effort will pay off quickly for you. Feel free to join us on the Sept/Oct IVF thread. Would love to hear how things go for you.

Closed Thread