It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• Short Term Disability/FMLA/ Human Resources Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-21-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
    GeorgiaPeachie
    (female)

GeorgiaPeachie HB User
    Short Term Disability/FMLA/ Human Resources Question

Okay so I have ZERO sick time left until January 1st and I can't take any days off until February 8th or so.

I called to see if I can qualify for unpaid leave just so I could have my job protected and they said that I haven't been there long enough. If my absence is 6 days or longer than my short term disability (and 100% pay) will kick in.

I'm thinking about asking the dr what I should do. Technically I will be under his care while I'm cycling if we do IVF. And if he writes me out for the active part of the cycle (injectables, retrieval and transfer) then I should have more than 6 days consecutive... I'm just scared they are going to say that this is "elective" and infertility doesn't count.

Hmmmm any thoughts? It's 2:37 in the morning and I can't sleep.. I just keep wondering how I can work this out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2007, 11:51 PM   #2
    Namibia
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Namibia HB User
    Re: Short Term Disability/FMLA/ Human Resources Question

I am so sorry you cannot sleep and that you are worrying about having to take time off work for you cycle. I do not kow how to answer your question b/c I am not sure of how you system works over there.

I just want to give you a ((((hug)))) and send some sleeping dust and worryless dust your way. I hope the other girls can help you.

All the best
    Charlene

Old 11-22-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
    PrincessSweetNS
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

PrincessSweetNS HB UserPrincessSweetNS HB UserPrincessSweetNS HB User

I am so sorry I can't help you because I'm in Canada and I'm positive things run on a different way up here. But I want you to knwo that I'm thinking abotu you an dhoping that a hot cup of decaf tea and a warm buttery muffin will help you sleep tonight. You need your rest, and I know it's easier said than done, but you must try to relax as well, my dearest. You want to be in top condition for this cycle. I would sing to you (and you knwo I would!) but I don't want you to think i am making light of your situation. It's one of the horrible "side effects" of IF-- worried abotu job security. I wish there were more I can do, but all I can say for is try to relax and have a happy thanksgiving; you deserve it.

*********babydust**********

Old 11-22-2007, 08:36 AM   #4
    kjmrfld
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kjmrfld HB User

Hi,

I wish I could be more help - I have a short term disability plan and know that you do have to be out for a certain period of time for it to kick in, and I know all plans are different. I haven't gone through IVF yet, so I don't know the process or how long you would need to be out (you would probably be smart to ask the doctor whether it would be possible to write you out for that period of time). It also might help to call your disability company as well and to ask if this treatment would be excluded. At least then you would know. I had an issue unrelated to IF where I thought I was going to need to use the disability insurance, and they were able to help me over the phone without entering any information about the issue in the computer.

I really wish I could help more, but I hope you were able to get some rest last night! I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Love, Kelley

Closed Thread