It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• Relaxation/Acupuncture/Visualization/Coping during IVF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
    newenglander2
    (female)

newenglander2 HB User
    Relaxation/Acupuncture/Visualization/Coping during IVF

I've been reading quite a few articles on the advantages of relaxation before/during/after embryo transfer. Some people do acupuncture, or get massages, or use relaxation cds and try to visualize success. For many it helps.
    I have my upcoming cycle which deep down I dread. I'm looking for any suggestions that any of you did to help you cope with the treatment. Somebody suggested buying a box of Godiva chocolates and enjoying one after each injection (not a bad idea). Any suggestions or experience with that?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
    bilodeli
    Veteran
    (female)

bilodeli HB User
    Re: Relaxation/Acupuncture/Visualization/Coping during IVF

Well as you know from the other board, my cycle got post poned a month now, but I have started Accupuncture, they say it really helps and apparently there are studies that show it increases your chances of BFP, I was told by me re to start before my cycle starts and to do it through out my first trimester (if I make it that far). The other thing the RE offers is RIGHT before the embrio transfer they have an accupuncturist there to do it right before they do the procedure, obviously costs extra but they really recommend it. I think it also helps with Blood Flow to the Uterus. Hope this helps. Lisa

Old 06-27-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
    km7503
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

km7503 HB User

I started acupuncture for my 2nd IVF cycle back in '06 and although advised to wait to start the cycle to get more sessions in beforehand, I wanted to start right away (after a chemical pg from my FET). My acupuncturist gave me some herbal supplements and an organic diet to try (which I also read was so important for hormonal health during a cycle). She also recommended that I stay away from very cold drinks because it "shocks" that area and that's not good for follicle making. She gave me a relaxation/meditation CD that helps you "visualize" what's happening in the body during the cycle. I have to say that this was an incredibly stressful cycle because my mom was very sick and did pass away in the midst of my stimming and the acupuncture kept me going and kept me calm and focused, and kept me from spiraling into a deep depression.
    My acupuncturist did come to my clinic to do a session right before my transfer. I firmly believe that all of this helped because I got my BFP!! And, I did go to acupuncture all the way through my pregnancy. I started going back in January (my DH and I both go) to help us ttc naturally which obviously hasn't worked but has prepared our bodies for this upcoming IVF cycle for baby #2. And, of course, I will do the CD again and the session before transfer again, so hopefully it will work again.
    {FYI, I didn't do acupucnture for my first IVF or radically change my diet or do the CD or anything...and got a BFN so, I credit all of the above mentioned to my success on the 2nd cycle}

Last edited by km7503; 06-27-2008 at 03:46 PM.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
    newenglander2
    (female)

newenglander2 HB User

Km, I'm so sorry about your mother. What kind of diet did you follow? Just all organic? I assume no caffeine, no chemicals, etc as they can disrupt hormones. I'll call the acupuncturist next week and set up an appointment since my cycle will be starting soon. How did acupuncture help you during pregnancy? My sister in law swears by acupuncture-her 5 year old has been battling severe constipation and only acupuncture has worked for her.
    Thank you both for your input. I'll keep you posted on how it's working. Good luck to both of you on your cycles. Keep me posted.
    michelle

Old 06-29-2008, 06:34 AM   #5
    km7503
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

km7503 HB User

Thank you.
    Yes, the diet was as much organic products as possible. Also, a limit of complex carbs and mostly whole grains, vegetables, and fruits and decaffinated green tea and basically no fast food. The supplements include a CoQ10, Fish oil, green extract (from various vegetables) and others...these promote good cell growth, heart health and good antioxidants for the body to flush out what shouldn't be there. Of course, no caffeine or alcohol of any kind.
    The acupuncture during my pregnancy was recommended by my acupuncturist...she said it would help with various symptoms like nausia, bloating, water retention, cramping, etc. And mostly, it did. I felt good about going, because I felt that it was promoting proper "chi" or energy while I was growing a little life inside me.
    PS I would make sure you go to an acupuncturist that speacializes in infertility. Mine was recommended by my old RE and I absolutely love her! She actually recommended my new RE and has helped many women get pregnant.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
    Hopefulx2.5
    Veteran
    (female)

Hopefulx2.5 HB User

this post is very informative, thanks for the great info and lots of luck to you both.

Closed Thread