It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• Another question about HCG shot: how deep should the needle go in?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
    CocoandBB123
    (female)

CocoandBB123 HB User
    Another question about HCG shot: how deep should the needle go in?

I gave myself HCG shots three times before this time, but it was extremely difficult last night for some reason. The needle didn't go in deep, so there was a big lumb underneath my skin after the shot. It took a while to go away, and it still hurt today. Did I do it in the right way? Will the shot still work?
    Thanks!!!

Coco

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
    Hopefulx2.5
    Veteran
    (female)

Hopefulx2.5 HB User
    Re: Another question about HCG shot: how deep should the needle go in?

Hello Coco,

It depends if you are doing subque or intramuscular. if you have the subque, it should be a short needle _____ (like this) and you inject it right under the skin, in the tissue, but the needle should go all the way into your skin. Oftentimes with the subque injection, the med will just pool under your skin and be tender. mine would hurt for a few days after. I put mine in my thigh.

othewise, if you have a long needle _______________ like this long, it is an IM needle, meaning intramuscular and it is supposed to be injected into your muscle (it shouldn't really hurt though as daunting as that long needle appears). this will make your muscle hurt for a few days after.

They should have given you very clear instructions by your RE, or call to ask, or ask the pharmacy. Good luck

Old 07-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
    CocoandBB123
    (female)

CocoandBB123 HB User

Hopefulx2.5, thank you so much for your response. I don't think mine was a short needle, but seems not as long as the one you showed either. I will definitely ask my RE next time. I am considering doing injections instead of Clomid next time if this one doesn't work (maybe after I take a couple of month break and try naturally first) since I've already done 4 IUI with Clomid!!!!, then I will REALLY need to know how to shoot a needle. )

Coco

Old 07-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
    Namibia
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Namibia HB User

Hi Coco my HCG shots were always sore I used ovidrell which is a small needle and injected into my tummy. I was always sore for about 2 days after the shot. I am sure that you got the needle in deep enough for the trigger to work. Good luck

Charlene

Old 07-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
    CocoandBB123
    (female)

CocoandBB123 HB User

Charlene:

Thanks for replying. I guess i was just desperate and wanted everything to be right, I am sure you know what I mean. Oh, also, congrats on your good news. I hope everything is going fine with you.
    I have a question, did you do Clomid first or you went straight to the injections? My RE told me that I need to do injections (such as the ones you did probably) since I've already done Clomid with HCG trigger shot 4 times and seems not working. I was told that there's more work invloved doing injections, of course more $$$ too.

Thanks
    Coco

Old 07-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
    CocoandBB123
    (female)

CocoandBB123 HB User

Hi, Charlene:

I just saw your response in my another posting, so please disregard the following one. Thank you so much!!!!! )

Coco

Old 07-21-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
    MissShellB68
    Inactive
    (female)

MissShellB68 HB User
    Injections after Clomid

Coco:
    Hi, I saw your post that you got your AF on another board and that you said that you were thinking about doing injections after a few months off. I don't know how old you are but I'm 40. My story really quick: Got BFP on my first round of Clomid and Ovidrel shot...ended in a miscarriage. Hopped right back in the saddle. Doc wanted me to do the injections...I was like no way. So, 3 more months with Clomid and BFN's. This past month I was going to take a few months off but I sucked it up and decided to do the injectables. The first two nights I had to have a friend to do them, my husband wouldn't do them. I was surprised on how easy it was and that they didn't hurt. I actually did the rest of them myself. Went to the doctors every two days...on Day 8 I was surging on my own and did the Ovidrel shot that night. Went in for the IUI this past Thursday. I'm in my 2ww now. I'm really having a good feeling about this and I wish I did the injections sooner.
    So my suggestion to you would be...when you are ready...ditch the Clomid and do the injectables. They really aren't that bad. I even noticed that I wasn't moody like I was when on Clomid. The injectable I did was Follistim and very easy to do. No sore belly either.
    Again, sorry for AF coming this month. Hang in there! Take time off if need be. But don't ever give up hope.
    Good luck and lots of baby dust.
    ~ Michele

Old 07-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
    CocoandBB123
    (female)

CocoandBB123 HB User

Michele:

Thank you sooo much for your encouraging words...
    I just felt so disappointed and tired of bad news every month... that's why I'd like to take a break...but you are right, I've been waiting too long, I don't want to wait anymore.. I will never give up on hopes! I've decided that I will do the injectables in Sept. I will continue taking supplements and take care my body, and make sure I am in good shape before the injectables.
    Good luck on this cycle! I will pray for you! Please keep me updated!

Baby dust

Coco

Closed Thread