It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• HSG (Hysterosalpingogram) Not Bad at All!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2003, 05:58 AM   #1
    CURIOUSCHICK

CURIOUSCHICK HB User
    Post HSG (Hysterosalpingogram) Not Bad at All!!!

I had my long awaited HSG at the hospital yesterday and I feel compelled to offer some encouraging words for those who may have this test in the future.

I searched the Internet for weeks looking for some glimmer of hope that this test wasn't going to be horribly painful. I found a few, but people tend to write more when they've had a bad experience then when they've had a positive or neutral experience.

I'm here to tell you that I feel it was "much ado about nothing" in some ways. I'm not even going to get into the results, because that has nothing to do with the fear of the test itself.

I took 800 mg Ibubrofen an hour before the test, with food and water as directed. I went into the room where the test was to be performed and the tech sat me down and told me it was probably going to be extremely painful. Like I needed to hear that again! I just looked at her and thought, "Do you have any idea how much sleep I've lost over this and you're rubbing salt in my wounds again?" I know it's her job to give me the hard facts, but a little sympathy isn't too much to ask, is it?

The test was over in a matter of 5 minutes once the doctor showed up. It was not the most comfortable 5 minutes of my life, but it never is when you're spread eagle on a cold table with a man shoving metal instruments up your ***. If you mentally prepare yourself, I think it helps. Know that it won't be fun, but don't expect it to be horrible either!

I know women have different thresholds for pain, so I am not trying to overshadow those who have had a bad experience - their experience is very real too. I'm just trying to provide the inspiration that I was looking for when I was losing my mind over the past few weeks.

It was not that bad!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2003, 07:27 AM   #2
    lemondog

lemondog HB User
    I am glad you had a good experience. I have a very low tolerance for pain and I also found it not bad at all. In fact, I had no cramping at all until after the test was complete and my uterus was trying to expel the dye. It was like REALLY bad cramps. I too took an 800mg Motrin before the test (along with a Valium b/c I was a nervous wreck). I took a Vicodin afterwards because of the cramping, but it only lasted about half an hour, and then I was fine the rest of the day.

Old 02-28-2003, 11:41 AM   #3
    Blastoff9600
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
    I have to say that when I had it done it wasnt painful at all. I have said that numerous times on these board. Even afterwards the cramping wasnt any worse than what I was already use to.
    I know a few other women that had no pain during it either.
    Though I do have to say that when I was about to get it done I was a bit nervous because the Tech asked if I had taken anything for pain such as motrin. I had not been told before hand to take anything so I hadnt. The tech was surprised and said it might be extremely painful since I didnt take anything. But once things got started there was no pain. She and the doctor kept asking if I was ok(because the Tech told the doctor I had taken before hand). I had to keep telling them I felt fine. They both said that for some women it doesnt seem to effect them pain wise.
    TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 03-01-2003, 06:12 AM   #4
    mousie

mousie HB User
    they're putting me on sedation for mine next month. but then again i have vaginismus so even a tampon brings me to insanely excrutiating pain

Closed Thread