It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• OHSS - is that what I've got?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2003, 10:05 AM   #1
    laura1
    Inactive

laura1 HB User
    Question OHSS - is that what I've got?

Hi there,
    I had my fourth IUI on 6/17 -- the first one after taking injectibles. When I took my HCG shot, my RE said I would experience "volcanic activity" in my ovaries because I had a lot of mature follicles. He wasn't exaggerating! For the last several days, I've had EXTREME bloating, achey bladder, cramping, constipation and lower back pain. I constantly feel like I have to pee a river and am lucky to squeeze out a few drops.

Also - and this might just be me - I feel like the injectibles (and their side effects) triggered IBS - irritable bowel syndrome. Oi vey! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif

It feels like these symptoms are slowly letting up, but has anyone else have a similar experience?

Hoping I'm not alone... Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2003, 01:20 PM   #2
    Colleywobbles24

Colleywobbles24 HB User
    Laura

I came down with OHSS about 11dpiui, it started as what I thought was bad indigestion but then got progressivley worse. I was VERY bloated, aching stomach and very nauseous, it got to the point where I had to call my RE's answering service or go to the ER because I was so sick. My RE told me that usually only women who become pregnant show painful signs of OHSS. The fluid from your ovaries just keeps spilling into your abdomen and the HCG from the baby makes it worse, he put me on bedrest and told me it was safe to take extra strength tylenol every 4 hours as needed. I gained 45lbs in water and my belly was so big and hard you would of thought I was 8 months pregnant, I was on bedrest for 3 weeks. There isn't much they can do for OHSS but if it gets severe you would be hospitalized but in many cases its a matter of just waiting it out, mine slowly started going away at 6 weeks. My only advice to you is to take it easy and DRINK lots and lots of fluids no matter how sick you feel because fluids help to flush everything out and could make your symptoms lessen. Some women also have severe cases of OHSS while others only have slight discomfort, if you do indeed have OHSS and are feeling sick then there is a very good chance you are pregnant, I would contact your RE as a precaution and see what they advise you to do. Best of Luck

Amanda
    14 weeks with miracle twins

Closed Thread