It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• High estradiol levels CD2 - HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2003, 08:02 AM   #1
    missvee

missvee HB User
    Post High estradiol levels CD2 - HELP!

Well, I just got the results of my CD2 blood test and I was happy to see that my FSH is at 4.9 (I'm 43, so was expecting the worst). However my estradiol level was a whopping 286. My gyno wants me to retest because that cycle ended up being a weird one, with AF showing up on CD17 which has never happened before (I thought maybe it was a very early miscarriage; also no pre-AF cramping like I usually get).
    I searched online this morning and apparently elevated estradiol can suppress the FSH level. I guess I'll just have to be patient and see what the next text shows up... It sounds like estradriol is quite volatile, whereas FSH tends to be steady.
    The gyno says nothing can be done about high estradiol levels ...
    Anyone with any thoughts or knowledge?
    (And Vino, thanks for wondering how I went.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2003, 10:30 AM   #2
    autumnleaves
    Senior Veteran

autumnleaves HB User
    Missvee...I can relate to what you are saying. I'm 44 (43 up until a week ago). My FSH levels have been either great (3.3) and the estradial has been high (894) or the FSH has been high (20.4) and the estradial has been great (35). The RE I had been seeing told me they couldn't correct "old age". The OB/GYN thinks the RE should not have put me on HRT (he said he hoped it would shock my system into coming into line with the hormones), which I didn't even do for a month before I decided that I wouldn't see RE anymore. Now the OB wants me to see a new RE and thinks I can still get pregnant (I was pg a year ago and m/c). The first RE said there was nothing they could do to help me get pregnant unless my hormones came into line. I see a new RE on the 8th of August (not my choice but the doc's). I still want to have a baby but have pretty much lost all my hope. I am sure this is NOT what you wanted to hear. The first RE pushed donor eggs constantly. I cannot afford that route at all. I hold out no hope that the new RE can help me.

I have begun taking chasteberry (Vitex), royal jelly, and drinking green tea. I hear this is supposed to help in leveling out the hormones. I'm hoping for the best.

I hope I don't sound too discouraging to you...I don't mean to. I'm also looking for hope and answers and so far, no luck.

You will probably find that your hormone levels will fluctuage from one month to the next. When my estradial was 894 on CD 2, I was told that I will have another period within two weeks...and sure enough I did. That is probably why you had a weird cycle with AF showing up on CD 17. That is exactly what happened to me as well. If the estradial is good, you will have your normal cycle. If the FSH and estradial are good together, that is when you should be able to get pregnant.

Do you spot prior to AF? If so, you may also be dealing with some low progesterone issues. I haven't been tested for that because the first RE said that if I got pregnant he was going to prescribe progesterone any way so it didn't matter.

I wish you luck and if you hear of anything that works from your doc, please do let me know. My DH does not have any children of his own; I have two teens (almost adults)...

Old 07-03-2003, 11:32 AM   #3
    missvee

missvee HB User
    Hi Autumn -

Thanks so much for replying. I've been following your story on and off as a lurker. I know you've been feeling very discouraged lately and my heart goes out to you. And don't worry about discouraging me - I know exactly what I'm up against. On top of my age issue I have hashimoto's thyroiditis, so my TSH was way high for ages before I was diagnosed. I have that just about under control now, I think, though my TSH fluctuates.

I guess at our age we can only do what we can do until nature eventually takes its course, unless you go the donor egg way, which I won't be doing either.

If my doc used the words "old age" to my face, I'd slap her and never return! How insensitive. We all know that age is a factor and don't need it rubbed in like salt in a wound. I hope your new RE has a better "bedside" manner.

It will make me crazy to think that my estradiol was high only for that particular cylce, because by boyfriend lives in another country and that was the cycle I had to pick to go see him! (It's wonderful to see him anyway, but of course I have this other agenda going!) I probably didn't even ovulate that month. That is the only 17 day cycle I've ever had in my life! At least now I seem to be back to my normal 24 or 25 day cycle. (Torture to know I'm ovulating normally this month and having my boyfriend so far away! So tempted to just drop my life here and go to him, but, well ... that's another story.)

Herb-wise, I too take Vitex (but will stop when I next BD because I'll be taking Clomid). (Have you done Clomid?) I also take red clover, and green and other supposedly "hormone balancing" teas. I also take evening primrose oil (which I stop before O'ing when I'm BDing.) Perhaps I'll add royal jelly to all this. Why not?

I don't spot before AF, but I will be taking a progesterone test soon. I thought that early AF may have been because of low progesterone ...

Anyway, thanks again for your words...

Old 07-03-2003, 11:50 AM   #4
    autumnleaves
    Senior Veteran

autumnleaves HB User
    Nope, haven't been on the clomid (the RE told me no treatment would work until the hormones were in line). I've heard that you shouldn't do the Vitex with the clomid, so you are wise to stop that.

Thank you for your understanding too. I have been very discouraged because I know that my time, if it hasn't already run out, will surely do so by my 45th birthday. That is my deadline for ttc; after that I will make sure I don't get pregnant (how ironic that I'll have to go on b/c pills then when I can't get pregnant now...but I won't want to chance it after 45).

I think the high estradial is the culprit for the short cycle, but not positive of course. That is just what the RE told me would happen to me when my estradial came up so high.

I thought my thyroid could be a problem for me as well, mostly due to very low body temps. TSH tests came back normal for me.

I do ovulate every month (as my charting has proved out, as well as the occasional month I try the OPK sticks...and the ovary pain at the time too!). The RE said I probably ovulated on CD 2 when I had the 17 day cycle. Obviously not enough time for the egg to have even developed properly according to him.

I'm hoping the new RE can help, but as I said, I have not much faith at this point. I did tell the receptionist who called me at work yesterday to please ask the doc to read my letter as well as the chart notes from the other RE and my lab results. I asked her to let me know if he doesn't think there is much he can do so I can cancel the appointment if not. No point in missing work if he can't help me have a baby anyway. She said that if they didn't call me to assume that he thought he could help. I'm sure that he won't even read the file before I get there and I'll go all the way in just to be told the same thing. But, if he does and she follows through, I can only say so far, no call.

The distance thing definitely makes it harder to get pregnant! Any chance of one of you moving? I wish I could give you more answers. I hope the clomid works for you certainly! Good luck with that!

Just know this...the one thing the old RE did say is that I can still get pregnant on my own. Its just a matter of having a month in which the levels are right at the same time and then me actually bd'ing at the right time! I'm still hoping for that to happen...miracles happen every day! Look at Abraham's wife Sarah in the Bible...

Old 07-03-2003, 12:35 PM   #5
    missvee

missvee HB User
    My love is a Moroccan Muslim. Can you imagine how hard it is for him to get a visa to the US? Following on with the biblical references, it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle....
    If I could marry him I would, but I'm not a US citizen so the waiting time would be at least 5 years for him to get a spouse visa. And I can't see how I could make a decent living in Morocco - I'd have to take a rather large dive in standard of living, and could I do that after my fairly comfortable life in Manhattan? How much am I willing to sacrifice for this man and this trying to conceive? I've sacrificed for men before and lived to rue the day. So you see, I'm living a bit of a soap opera at the moment. Why couldn't I fall for a New Yorker? Oh yeah, I know why - dating is hell in this town, and for a woman over 40, forget it. Men in their 40s want women in their early 30s. My Moroccan is 32 and adores me, so why should I humiliate myself with New York men anymore who make me feel bad about my age! I'd actually given up on the baby thing till I met him - now I have this obsessive desire. He doesn't mind one way or the other, but I fear he'll change his mind when he's older.

Was your TSH level under 2? The lab ranges give .5 - 5.5 as the "normal" range, but anything over 3 is not good for fertility.

Yes, I think the docs and meds can only do so much - so much else seems to depend on the miraculous and fickel alignment and cooperation of all the forces at play, as much dumb luck as anything else...

Old 07-03-2003, 01:30 PM   #6
    autumnleaves
    Senior Veteran

autumnleaves HB User
    I think it was like 2.5 or something. I just looked at it the other day when I was getting all my records and lab results ready to send to the new RE.

If you are not a U. S. citizen, where are you from? (If you don't mind my asking!)

My ex-husband and I were stationed in Ankara, Turkey for three years, so I'm a bit familiar with Muslims. Somehow when I hear and/or think of Morocco, I think of Bing Crosby and Bob Hope! You may want to look into international companies...that is about all I can think of, really. They may be the way to go if you are looking to maintain a certain standard of living. I didn't think it was too difficult to emigrate to the U. S., but I honestly don't know what is involved. He can't come here on a green card? (I'm sorry if my ignorance is showing...I just haven't had much exposure...)

I've given up lots of myself for men in the past as well...when I got pregnant last year, it was with a man who was 31 (I found out I was pg one day after my 43rd birthday). He thought I was younger, I thought he was older. But 11 1/2 years! He convinced me that my age didn't matter. Unfortunately when he said that he couldn't introduce me to his mom because she'd have a fit about my age (after we'd been dating a few months), I knew it wouldn't work. Unfortunately, I found myself pregnant (and I was taking b/c pills!). But I knew I would love that baby with all my heart and I would definitely do it alone. I had been a single mom for 10 1/2 years already by that time. I miscarried on 7/7/02, much to his delight and my complete heartbreak. The relationship ended within the next week. I met my DH on-line the week after that (I put in a pictureless ad on a whim and hoping to get past my hurts). Our first date was on 8/2 and we've been inseparable since then. He knows of the miscarriage...we married on 10/17/02.

I think the hormones were screwing up even back then, though I thought it was due to the b/c pills (and it may have been a catalyst certainly).

In September I began to hemorrhage (now looking back, it was probably either a residual from the miscarriage, or possibly an early AF). They found that I had a hemorrhagic cyst on my right ovary (no cysts at all now) and put me on 2 b/c pills a day for 10 days. DH and I have been trying since we met...

I wish you luck and if you want to talk or hear of anything new, you can either post to me here or on the pregnancy board (ttc thread).

I think men in NY are probably no different than men anywhere else. There are jerks everywhere...you just have to be lucky enough to find the diamonds amongst them! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 07-03-2003, 02:16 PM   #7
    missvee

missvee HB User
    Wow, what a story. But at least you met your DH so quickly after your heartbreak and got married - 2 and half months, that's amazing and must be at least some consolation. Does he want a child of his own? How old is he? I'd imagine he must be fairly flexible on this issue to commit to the relationship.

I'm hard on NY men because the first (and pretty much only) man I dated when I arrived here 5 years ago dropped me like a hot scone when I told him I was 38. It was if I'd told him I had AIDS. That was terribly upsetting and a reality check that I was an "older" woman now, and no longer as desirable to men as I'd been before, though of course before none of the boyfriends I had wanted a baby with me. So now to have this gorgeous man who wants me baby or not is a real boost that I needed, however the situation ends up with us.

I'm Australian. Transferred on a work visa and am awaiting a green card. Green cards, BTW, are to foreigners what BFPs are to TTCers. Usually a long and hard road. We'll go for the Green Card lottery, which has a reasonably high number of Moroccan "winners" compared to many other countries, so you never know. But I fear I'll be a dried up old hag by the time he gets here. In the meantime I'm (expensively) flying back and forth. I wish I could freeze his semen and bring it back for the months in between seeing him! That should be easy in this day and age. Can't imagine a Moroccan doctor willing to freeze it though, and can you imagine getting it through Customs? http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif These are the preposterous questions I find myself asking these days. Talking of mothers, I was terrified of meeting his, figuring she'd vigorously disapprove of this aging infidel her darling son had taken up with, but she was so warm and welcoming. I was mortified to learn that he'd told his entire family about our efforts to conceive, but they were wonderful about that too, patting my stomach and wishing me well.

BTW, forget about red clover and evening primrose oil - I just did some research and they promote estrogen, which I clearly don't need. Damn - I just bought an expensive bottle of the later; pity, because it's good for so many other things...

Closed Thread