It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• zero sperm count

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-28-2003, 04:29 PM   #1
    brewzoo5

brewzoo5 HB User
    Red face zero sperm count

Wow, I really don't understand this, but here goes.... My sister has been trying to get pregnant for 6 months now, and to no avail. She had her DH do a SA and the results are in. He has a 0 sperm count!!!!! DEVESTATION!!!!!!!!!!

How can this be? This is a very healthy 30 year old man. He has a urology appointment Sept. 10th, but in the meantime, we are curious about answers. I am asking b/c my sis is so depressed. She just can't fatham what is going on, and is relying on me to help her find some answers.

Does anyone know of some of the reasons he could have a 0 sperm count? Sept. 10 is a long way away, to wait for answers. So we are just looking for support and whatever anyone knows.

Thanks a million

Jo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2003, 06:57 PM   #2
    Blastoff9600
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
    There are numerous reasons for a zero count. It all depends on him to be honest. It could due to a childhood illness,it could be the work conditions he is in,substance abuse(not saying he is using anything but just throwing things out there),and the list goes on.
    He will need to do another SA or two depending on the doc he sees. He should cut out smoking and drinking. Also no more hot tubs or spas. He should also look into to changing the type of underwear he wears boxers or boxer briefs are better for men to wear. Also he needs to not wear tight pants or jeans. If he rides a bicycle on a regular basis he should stop as that can effect his counts.
    TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 08-28-2003, 07:19 PM   #3
    More2Love

More2Love HB User
    Brewzoo5, all the reasons stated above are so true but is it possible that he has a blockage in the vas deferens? It sounds like that may need to be investigated. There is also another nasty that can cause Zero counts and that is a spermatocoel. There have been tons of cases where a urologist has discovered that a man has only been running on one engine, sometimes none. The answers will be through doctors checking him from top to bottom and inside out. Be sure they also check his hormone levels. Give her lots of hugs and be there for her. She must be having a very hard time with this. Our hearts go out to her.

Old 08-28-2003, 07:47 PM   #4
    SNILVR

SNILVR HB User
    Hello,
    My DH and I are in the same boat. We found out in June of 2002 that he has a zero sperm count. We are in the process of trying to adopt. After we got the test results back about the zero sperm count, we did not check into it any farther because of wanting to adopt. Now after a little over a year, I have finally talked him into going to ST. Louis to have some tests done to see why. I guess that we just need closure one way or the other. Deep in my heart I want it to be something that they can fix and that we can carry our own children, but I have to be realistic and tell myself that there is nothing that they can do and that adoption is the only way that we are able to bring children into our family. It was very very hard hearing the news a year ago and I think that is why we didn't go any farther at the time. I didn't want to push DH. He is already going thru enough knowing that he has a zero count. I pray every night that we will get great news on SEPT. 11th. After all, I think we could use some great news on that day. Know that they are not alone and anytime that they have a question, just ask. Kristin

Old 08-30-2003, 09:53 AM   #5
    Gine2D
    Inactive

Gine2D HB User
    He may have Klinefelters problems. There is some research on taking sperm by needle from the testicle & fertilizing the egg that way.

Some with Klinefelters produce no sperm & some with Mosaic Klinefelters have only a few little swimmers.
    I am Mosaic. Many of us also have large breasts, since we have excess female chromosomes.

G

Old 08-30-2003, 10:38 AM   #6

twins@24weeks HB User
    Even the chicken pox can ruin sperm production. Not that it happens often, but it happens. I've also read something about varicose veins in the scrotum that can cause poor sperm counts.

Old 08-30-2003, 04:30 PM   #7
    brewzoo5

brewzoo5 HB User
    Thanks for all of your helpful hints. We are finding out that there are so many reasons for this. and you all have helped.

Boy do we appreciate it.

Jo

Old 08-30-2003, 05:00 PM   #8
    BarbaraH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
    Hi,

In addition to all of the above, having mumps in adolesence can cause this problem.

Between now and his appointment, have him do all of the things suggested: wear bowers, loose pants, no hot tubs or spas or saunas, and avoid heat as much as possible. If the urologist has another SA done, he'll have already done everything he can to better the situation.

**** luck! Barbara

Old 08-30-2003, 07:08 PM   #9
    SusanW

SusanW HB User
    Hi everyone. I am Jo's sister that she's talking about. I joined the board so that I can post here and thank you all.

My husband does not smoke, doesn't take baths, doesn't wear underwear (sorry, TMI), drinks approx. 1 bourbon/coke per night, some nights up to 3-4, rides a dirt bike once a week for approx. 4 hours, runs 30-45 mins 3x week at 5:30 in the TX heat, works a desk job. He is healthy and masculine (muscular, hairy, deep voice), so I don't think low testosterone or high female hormones.

A couple of thoughts - he has chronic allergies (or maybe sinusitis), so maybe something called Young's Syndrome. Does anyone know if this is curable/reversible?

Also, if it's congenital absence of the vas deferens, do you know how they test for this? Is it by physical exam? X-ray or other scan? Dye injection?

What about other blockages? Are they repairable? and what could cause them?

We are just wondering really what to expect from the first uro. visit and what kind of answers we may get at that first visit. How much could they possibly tell us, or will they just order more tests?

Hoping this is reversible or repairable obstructive azoospermia. We are nowhere near ready to consider IVF with ICSI or adoption at this point, but my husband does want to try to get some answers.

It is a very painful situation - mentally and emotionally draining - and he is being very strong.

Thank you for all of your information and support. We really appreciate it.

Old 08-30-2003, 08:15 PM   #10
    Diplomat
    (male)

Diplomat HB User
    Hi SusanW,

My husband and I are in a similar situation. We had been ttc for 1 year with no luck. This past April my husband went for a SA, resulting in a zero sperm count. We had to wait three months for an appointment with an urologist. The urologist did a manual exam of his testes, etc and said he was having difficulty feeling his vas deferens. He then sent him for a transrectal ultrasound. The results of this concluded he was missing his vas deferens. His diagnosis is CAVD (congenital absence vas deferens) and we are currently on a waiting list for a fertility clinic. Since this time we have read many reasons for CAVD, mumps at a later age, undescending testes, trauma to the testes, infection, high fever - none of which apply to us. Another possible reason is being a CF (cystic fibrosis) gene carrier. It means you don't have CF but carry a CF gene. Sounds like this is only an issue if both partners carry the gene then there is a 25% chance the baby could have CF. However, there is testing for this as well.

At this time it appears our only option is IVF/ICSI. I know you stated you weren't considering IVF/ICSI at this time but if the wait times in TX are anything like they are in Canada you may want to get on a waiting list.

Our waiting time is about 6 months for our initial consultation which would be in November and it seems like the time is going by so slow!

We still need to confirm that he is producing sperm and then he will need to go through a retrieval process (TESA). All of his hormone tests have come back normal so at this point we have no reason to believe he isn't producing sperm (they just can't get out)!

We definitely know how you are both feeling as we were devastated when we found out my husband had a zero count. Back in April we posted on this board and found it to be very helpful. Since that time my husband has stopped drinking coffee (was up to about 10 cups per day!), doesn't wear underwear, is exercising, taking vitamins, eating healthy and no alcohol and never has smoked. We aren't sure if this will help but it is making us feel better, like we are doing something positive while waiting for our appointment.

Of note, the transrectal biopsy doesn't sound like a very pleasant procedure however, you get to the point where you will do whatever to find out what's wrong.

Hope this helps some, keep us posted and the best of luck to you both

C.

Old 08-31-2003, 07:27 AM   #11
    Gine2D
    Inactive

Gine2D HB User
    Since you listed all of his manly hobbies, it may be one of them that is causing him to lose his sperm.

DIRT BIKE.

Even just riding a normal bike or mountain bike has caused this problem in men & boys. It just causes pain in women. The seat put pressure on the arteries, veins, & nerves to the testicles. Special Terry seats have been developed to reduce the effect.

Good luck,

G

Old 09-03-2003, 12:32 PM   #12
    SusanW

SusanW HB User
    I want to sincerely thank you guys for all of your information and support. We are making it a day at a time, waiting for the Urologist appt. next Wednesday.

I will be out of town so unable to go with my dh. Is this a problem? I never really thought about it until some girls on the other board I am on mentioned they went with their dh's for the uro visit, because they had alot of questions.

Thanks a million!

Old 10-14-2003, 11:32 AM   #13
    Rehna

Rehna HB User
    Don't worry about the zero sperm count.
    In my husband's case when he checked up once his count was zero and the ****ing doctor told to go for donor sperm. But we left that idea. And when he done SA again after one year. it came 20 Million and after getting advice from some another doctor took clomid for one month the count went to 138 million. So please wait for some time and check it again.

Old 10-14-2003, 04:14 PM   #14
    SusanW

SusanW HB User
    Rehna - that is very encouraging news. Thanks for the info!

We are doing our research. We have had 2 analyses, 1 month apart, both zero count. FSH and Testosterone within normal limits. Vas deferens observed on physical, good prostrate. Now waiting for testicular biopsy and vasograph early November.

Old 10-14-2003, 05:51 PM   #15
    bluedaisy

bluedaisy HB User
    Hello. I'm new to the whole message board thing.
    We've been TTC #1 for 2 and a half years, and we were scheduled for 2nd IUI, but when I arrived I was told DH had no sperm in his sample, so wouldn't be any use continuing with the procedure. I was so devastated and was struggling to have a positive attitude even before the bad news. Now we don't know if it was just a bad sample somehow because he was sick a month ago, or if he is now sterile? He's had so-so results before, but always worth using. So now I can't turn off the waterworks and am hoping this is a temporary thing.

Closed Thread