It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• Blockage in uterus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
    Jenn3019
    (female)

Jenn3019 HB User
    Blockage in uterus

Hi everyone,
    I posted a couple of days ago, and didnt receive any responses. I actually have new developments to my situation so I'm hoping that someone can help me I know many of you on these boards have had the tests done that I am currently going through...

A little background on me: 28 years old, ttc on and off for 14 months. Have had irregular periods most of my life, usually long cycles or missed months every now and then. I am hypothyroid and have attributed my crazy cyles to years of not taking my medicine correctly and missing pills and overall not paying good attention to my body.

For the past year I have kept up with my meds perfectly, and have had normal hormone tests from the gyn. My DH has had normal SA. From Oct 2008 through Jan 2009 I had picture perfect periods, 30 days apart for the first time in I cant remember when. I then either missed my Feb period or had a 6 week cycle because I started at about 45 days after my Jan period. I had only a day or two of light bleeding. 5 weeks later I started my April period on Apr 3. Had one day of heavy bleeding, one day of light and it was over. I had an HSG scheduled for Apr 7 (they said it was too early in my cycle because I was only on day 4, but I told them I was done bleeding and they went ahead with it). The tubes werent blocked but the technician said my uterus looked "different" I told him I was earlier in my cycle than the women he usually sees so he said that might be why. Had one day of medium bleeding after the HSG and spotting for a few days (I'm told that's normal) Had the results with the gyn on Apr 15, she said there was filling defect on both sides of my uterus, basically the dye didnt fill the uterus because something is in the way. I have to have an ultrasound now but cant until I have another period because I'm supposedly too far along in my current cycle. Lo and behold, after I leave the gyn on Apr 15 I start spotting again. I've had heavy to medium flow since (its Apr 19 and I'm still medium flowing). It's like a real period, very light cramps in the beginning, and a few clots.

My question is, was the stuff the wasnt letting the dye from the HSG fill the uterus my lining? Do you think the HSG caused me to have a full period? I havent had a full period since Jan of this year so it makes sense that there is a lot of blood. This is what I'm hoping because the doc said it might be fibroids or polyps and they might be the cause of my infertility. I guess I wont know anything until I can have the ultrasound, but I'm driving myself crazy wondering what could have been blocking my uterus.

Sorry about the long post, thanks in advance for your advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
    SoleilRae
    (female)

SoleilRae HB User
    Re: Blockage in uterus

I just wanted to give my two cents to see if it is helpful. I am in a similar situation. I have always had very irregular periods and I started seeing an RE about 1 1/2 years ago. When I first started seeing the RE I had a normal HSG. Then recently when I went to see the RE I had an ultrasound that showed a blockage in my uterus. Needless to say, I was devastated, but he told me not to worry that it was probably just a polyp. So, he scheduled a hysteroscopy (when they look inside the uterus with a camera) for a few days later. I had the surgery done and sure enough there was a polyp. He removed it and I went home later that day. Polyps are very common in people with infertility and they are very easily removed. From the research and medical journals that I read, the success rate of getting pregnant after having a polyp removed is very high. So, I would say...don't worry. It is probably a polyp and that is a problem that is very easily resolved.

And, yes, an HSG can cause you to have a period. People who do not have normal cycles usually only bleed when the lining is so built up that the pressure of the tissue/blood lining the uterus is so thick that it can't be held to the wall of the uterus any longer. If you have an HSG then that may put extra pressure on or disturb the lining which will cause you to shed the lining and have a period.

Hope this helps!!

Shayna

Closed Thread