It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• starting Lupron Downregulation tomorrow

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
    littlebo
    (female)

littlebo HB User
    starting Lupron Downregulation tomorrow

I'll be starting Lupron Downregulation tomorrow and will take it for 2 weeks till my next period. My estimated start date on Gonal-F + Menopur is April 17th. I was wondering if there are any other ladies out there at or around the same stage as me that I can keep in touch with?

This is my first IVF cycle and completely new to all this. DH & I did 3 rounds of Follistim with IUI without success. We are going to be very positive and optimistic about this experience.
    Me: 36 yr old, small amt endometriosis on lap; but, doctors feel have unexplained infertility
    DH: 38 yr old, excellent SAs
    TTC 2 and 1/2 years

Lots of love and baby dust to everyone!!!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 06-28-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
    hukilau
    Inactive
    (female)

hukilau HB User
    Re: Looking for IVF Cycle Sisters.....

I'm new to the board and would love to have a "buddy" but it looks like I'm about a month ahead of you. I start my stim meds tomorrow but will be taking Lupron for the first time. My first IVF cycle (2008) was a different protocol. I just started writing in my "baby blog" again tonight and am hoping to keep up on it daily if you want to maybe check that out if it will help? I've never done IUI's (not a candidate) but have already been though 1 IVF cycle and am here looking for support myself. Like I said I'm about a cycle ahead of you but would love to keep in touch if you want.

Looking at your sig it looks like are are the same age and have been TTC about the same amount of time. My husband is a bit older than yours and doesn't have great SAs though.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:03 AM   #3
    littlebo
    (female)

littlebo HB User

The only injectable I've done has been the Follistim for IUI. Tolerated it okay except did notice I was bit more emotional than usual for me. Have to admit the thought of doing 3 shots at a time is a little overwhelming (when I get to the stimulation they said I'd be doing Gonal-F, Menopur, and the Lupron).

How was your first IVF cycle? I know you said it was different. I definitely got the feeling from the IVF nurse yesterday that they do try different things to see what works best for each individual woman.

Please keep me posted and write back whenever you get a chance. You mentioned a blog you have? Not sure if you can post the link here (I don't know there rules on that), but if you can I'd definitely like to check it out!

Have a great weekend and I'll ttys : )

Last edited by Administrator; 06-28-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
    hukilau
    Inactive
    (female)

hukilau HB User

Hi littlebo!

My 1st IVF cycle was in 2008 and went well for the most part. I can't remember my exact protocol but I do remember my meds. It was Follistim, Repronex and then we added Ganerelex towards the end. I will tel you now that Follistim comes in 300IU, 600IU and 900IU. Each vial actually has 150IU extra in it I believe so every other day I had to have an extra shot to finish off 1 vial and then start the other to get the complete dose. That sucked. I fond out at the end of my cycle when I had to have a refill that they had the bigger vials and that cut down on the additional shot so this time around I requested the 900IU vial. It is more expensive but fortunately meds is the one thing my insurance does cover. I also did acupuncture with my 1st cycle and it really helped in the amount of follicles that I produced as well as I feel that it helped lessen the side effects of the meds, but that is just me. I've been going to acu in general for about 10 years and my body really responds to it and my doc's specialty is infertility, although I see her from everything from allergies to backache to now IF (she also has a book out, I'll see if I can PM you the name and my blog link).

My 1st cycle was successful at first but ended in a chemical pregnancy at 5 weeks. This time around the RE wants to change the protocol in hopes to get more follies and hopefully more good embryos so that we can freeze some if needed. Now that I'm writing all this I realize that I should add this to my blog with more detail so I'll do that this weekend I think.

Have a great weekend and I'll go try to send you a PM now

Last edited by Administrator; 06-28-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:32 AM   #5
    littlebo
    (female)

littlebo HB User

Hi, hukilau. Thank u for the information. I was able to find your blog. You have been thru so much. I'm so impressed with your strength and fortitude despite the obstacles you have had. I got PG naturally 9 years ago in a previous marriage, but had a miscarriage @ 6 weeks. Even though it was only a week or two from the time I got my + pg test till going to the doctor for that first ultrasound only to see there was no heartbeat; I still felt PG and overjoyed. It was such a tough thing to go through.
    I'm so fortunate to have a wonderful husband now who is so supportive and loving. He drew up my Lupron for me last night and watches me do my injections. He's not had to give me a shot, yet. But, says he will be fine with the Progesterone we will have to take in a few more weeks.
    I'll keep in touch, but I have to get ready for work now. Thanks again for everything you have shared so far and I'll ttyl : )

Old 04-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #6
    Jewels41880
    (female)

Jewels41880 HB User

I'm not doing an IVF cycle, but am in the process of an IUI cycle. Have been on Lupron for a few weeks, just started Gonal F last Thursday, and added Repronex to the mix last night. Hopefully I will make enough mature eggs to get the IUI soon. I am almost thirty and have PCOS (polycyctic ovarian syndrome, endometriosis, and severe retrograde bleeding). I have a thirteen year old who was concieved naturally, and a two year old concieved on Repronex, and Metformin. I went through a treatment last July in which I suffered severe OHSS, and did not maintain the pregnancy. I would love to chat with people going through simalar experiences. I don't think alot of people understand how hard it is to suffer from infertility.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
    jadelspe
    (female)

jadelspe HB User

I hope I am not crashing but would love to join. I started stims on Saturday for my first IVF cycle. I have a 13 y.o. conceived naturally and 2 ectopics resulting in no right tube and damage to my left. I am on Folistim, Menopur, Lupron and an antibiotic to make sure my remaining tube does not fill with fluid. I would love to keep in touch with people in the same boat. This a huge emotional rollercoaster and it would be nice to have people who understand.
    Good luck and I look forward to "chatting" with you all.
    Jenn

Old 04-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #8
    hukilau
    Inactive
    (female)

hukilau HB User

Hi Jen, it sounds like we are almost on the exact same cycle and meds. I started stims on Sat. evening. I'm on microdose lupron 2x a day, menopur and follistim, I will be on antibiotics before retrieval and just after. This is my 2nd cycle, 1st ended in a chemical pg at 5 weeks. I've been posting daily in my blog (hope its okay to post it here; < edited > if get bored. How are you doing with the meds? So far I think the Menopur is the worst as in the burning and I feel it the most.

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-06-2010 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Please do not post disallowed websites, or promote other forums or blogs, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
    hukilau
    Inactive
    (female)

hukilau HB User

I'm not familiar with IUI at all as it was not an option for us. It seems like its a longer time frame for meds is that correct? Or does it vary person to person? From what I've been reading on another board that I'm on it does seem that people are on meds for longer than IVF. When does the actual IUI take place and then how long after do you know if it took? Sorry for all the questions but its completely foreign to me and I'm curious. Good luck!!!

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-06-2010 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use Quick Reply rather than Quote Reply

Old 04-06-2010, 05:34 AM   #10
    Jewels41880
    (female)

Jewels41880 HB User

The time frame varies from person to person. I have to be on the stims longer than most because I'm what my doc calls "severly inovulate". I was only on the stims for 5 days with my two year old, but was on them for nine when I tried last July. I went to the doc yesterday and I am making eggs, but none of them are mature yet. So I have to take the Repronex, and Gonal f combo for four more days (along with Lupron) untill I see him Friday. With IUI once I have enough mature eggs he will give me the HCG (a.k.a. trigger shot) to cause the hormonal surge that will make my body release the eggs. Then he will do the IUI 12-36 hours after. Hopefully with a good result. The doc told me that with the endo and retrograde bleeding that after another child he needs to do a hysterectomy. So hopefully I get pregnant soon, my monthly menses is really heavy and painfull. Thanks for responding. Good luck to everyone!!

Old 04-06-2010, 06:49 AM   #11
    hukilau
    Inactive
    (female)

hukilau HB User

Thanks for the info. I guess it's not too different from IVF because even with that it varies. It does make more sense now. Glad to hear it's worked for you 2 previous times. I wish you all the best. I was on Repronex last time but not familiar with Golal. Can't wait to hear how the next few days go. Do you go in for u/s every other day or not till the 4 days are up?

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-06-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Removed Quote of immediately preceding post. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #12
    jadelspe
    (female)

jadelspe HB User

Hukilau it does appear that we are on a very similar protocol. I started my stims on 4-3 in the morning so we are right together on that as well. Its funny just last night I noticed how bad the Menopur burned. The others are easy. I am still a bit confused by microdose Lupron vs. regular I am on 10 units in the evening. Fingers crossed that you have a good result this time. I would love to read your blog can you send it to me in a private message.

Jewel good luck with the IUI like Hukilau that was not an option for me. I hope that you find success this time. I have a coworker who is having a hysterectomy this week because of endo. I could not imagine having to deal with that on a monthly basis. I agree that people do not understand how hard infertility is or how it effects so many parts of your life. It is nice to have people understand especially with the crazy hormones we have to deal with.

I had my first stim check this morning and things are looking good. I will find out this afternoon when I go back and what to do with my meds. This is so crazy to me and I bounce between being happy and hopeful to being nervous and scared that something is not right or it won't work. Don't want to be a downer just super nervous.

Hope everyones day is going well
    Jenn

Old 04-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
    hukilau
    Inactive
    (female)

hukilau HB User

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-06-2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Please do not do not request or offer any kind of off-board contact for any reason. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
    amynyc
    (female)

amynyc HB User

Hi Ladies
    I am going to join you on this adventure. Well almost. I am sitting this cycle out. My short story: I have a 2 year old DD who was conceived naturally at 40. I have been trying for a whole year for another. I used clomid and natural bedding and was successful but had a mc at 6 weeks. After recovering I was checked and nothing wrong but age. We went on injectables of Pregonal and IUI and I got a BFP but again lost it at 8 weeks. That was in February. I did another round of pregonal and IUI but only got 1 egg and a BFN. I am sitting this month out. But starting in May I will be on Menapur and IUI not IVF. If I stimulate well on Menapur I will be a good canidate for IVF and my egg. IF NOT, my only option is IVF and donor egg. The age factor is why they would want me to go to IVF and donor egg..
    We are all in this rollercoast ride and I sometimes loss hope but after reading everyone's notes I am up lifted to continue.
    Amy

Old 04-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
    jadelspe
    (female)

jadelspe HB User

Hukilau I was unable to message you as well. I sent a note to the admin to find out what the issue is. I do not blog myself but really enjoy reading other peoples and can't wait to see yours.

Amy welcome. It is hard to not lose hope when you have been through the losses you have had. I have been lurking on the boards for a bit and have followed your story and think your strength will get you through. Good luck.

Closed Thread