It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• Provera and pregnancy??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2001, 05:27 PM   #1
    jmc1

jmc1 HB User
    Provera and pregnancy??

I am currently trying to become pregnant. I have very irregular periods and my doctor just perscribed four ten day doses of provera. My question is: is it safe to have sex during the ten days I am taking provera? I have heard that you should absolutely not take it if you are pregnant, but what if you get pregnant while taking it? The reason I am taking it is to become regular so that I can become pregnant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2001, 05:40 PM   #2
    whitewolf95
    Inactive

whitewolf95 HB User
    Re: Provera and pregnancy??

It can be safe as long as you use condoms to prevent the pregnancy until after you are off it. You dont want to endanger any little one that you want so dearly.

Old 04-03-2001, 01:30 AM   #3
    odiej

odiej HB User

I may be misinformed but I recently was on provera for a full month, twice a day everyday . My Dr never said anything about not using condoms or any other type of protection?? I am not sure why you were on provera, but for myself in order to try to get pregnant the provera stopped my bleeding. Isn't that the point of provera?? For myself I think I need to talk to a dr to find the truth of provera and you should talk to your dr also.

Old 04-03-2001, 07:10 PM   #4
    Allie

Allie HB User

I have been on provera several times to bring on a period. Provera will stop a period while you are taking it but it will resume in a few days after taking it. The main function of it is to start cycles in women who do not start on their own. Also reproductive endocrinologist's use provera to actually keep a pregnancy viable if there is a strong possiblity of miscarriage. Once the danger stage is over then the provera is generally stopped. I am currently taking provera and clomid and will more than likely continue with the provera while pregnant.( only b/c i am considered high risk for miscarriage). You may want to check with your dr again to ease your mind. If provera was dangerous to a pregnancy it wouldnt be prescribed to help maintain a pregnancy.
    If you dont mind me asking, why did your dr's put you on provera to stop a period in order to become pregnant? I am just wondering because it negates everything my RE has been saying for years and now i am a little curious.
    Good Luck
    Allie

[This message has been edited by Allie (edited 04-03-2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by Allie (edited 04-03-2001).]

Old 04-03-2001, 07:33 PM   #5
    odiej

odiej HB User

I was put on Provera to stop the bleeding because my periods would not stop. I had continual flow from October/00 until january/01 When the drs decided it had been too long. They had given me a DnC at the end of february and I have finally finished the the provera. I finished on march 28 and still have not had a period do you know how long after taking provera my periods should start again?? Allie have you ever been on chlomid???

Old 04-04-2001, 07:51 PM   #6
    Allie

Allie HB User

Hey Odie,
    Normally when i take the provera it is for 5 to 7 days of 10mg and my cycle then can start anywhere from three to seven days later. I hav noticed that when i am more stressed it seems to take its sweet time coming. But if i have little to no stress i usually start within four days. BUT i am only on it for 7 days at the most not an entire month. And for me it was prescribed to start periods since i will go months without one. It also isnt uncommon to start a period while still taking the provera, this has happened a couple times but is mostly spotting not a real flow.
    I just started clomid this week and it is the first time that i have ever been on it. I am on 100mg for 5 days and today is that last day. Are you on clomid now? Boy is it a experience, talk about being the wicked witch! lol But if it doesnt work this month guess we will do it again next month.
    Allie

Closed Thread