It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• Failed IVF - When to give up?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
    Mim123
    (female)

Mim123 HB User
    Failed IVF - When to give up?

Hi all. When is it time to give up? I have had two failed fresh cycles and one failed frozen in three consecutive months. should I take this as a sign that this is not meant to be? I am 37 years old. Maybe my body can't do it at this age. I am so frustrated and my RE wants me to try again this month. Should I keep going? I don't know what to do. It is such a physical and emotional commitment and I am at a loss as to what to do. Can anyone help?

The following user gives a hug of support to Mim123:
    bee01 (05-28-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
    samantha77
    (female)

samantha77 HB User
    Re: Failed IVF - When to give up?

Hi, I am in a very similar place to you, just had another failed fresh cycle (my 2nd) and my DH and I decided that this will be our last. We have two frozen embryos left, but after that, we will not do any more. I really can't imagine going through the whole process again.

I guess you have to make this decision for yourself and it is a really hard one because there is a tremendous cost both to our wallets and our bodies. I have a good friend who after several rounds of failed IVF, decided to throw in the towel when she and her husband felt that they'd had enough. That is how my DH and I feel now. Is that how you feel? Or are you ready to try again? Perhaps for a third and last time?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
    Mim123
    (female)

Mim123 HB User

I dont know. I just really am at a loss. I wanted to take three months off this summer and get back to normal and try again but my RE thinks its a mistake. I am 37 and he feels that I dont have time to lose. But its just so physically and emotionally exhausting. I have insurance that covers it so I am lucky in that respect but I feel like, how can I put myself and my DH through more of this. I feel like such a failure.

The following user gives a hug of support to Mim123:
    samantha77 (05-24-2012)
    Old 05-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
    Agenda
    Inactive
    (female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

Hi, it is a very difficult question to answer. I had 2 cycles and had enough, I found it mentally too much and went on to adopt. Maybe give yourself a break and give yourself time to think. After a break you may feel like trying again.

Best of luck,

Old 05-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
    samantha77
    (female)

samantha77 HB User

37 is certainly not so old that you can't wait a few months. I would definitely say that if you feel you need to take the time then do so. Being in the right mental state for this stuff is SO important. Hang in there and follow your instinct with this. I am thinking of you.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:42 AM   #6
    bee01
    Inactive
    (female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

Hi Mim,

It definitely sounds like your doctor had you doing too much too fast. I am very sorry for what you are going through.

I am starting to sound like a broken record but I am telling every woman who has had infertility to get their thyroid levels checked, especially after having IVF. Low thyroid and thyroid antibodies can wreak havoc on your ovaries and most RE's don't know anything about thyroid disease, even if they claim that they do (which, let's face it, they all do).

It's important to have 4 tests done- TSH, FREE T4, FREE T3 and thyroid antibodies. The TSH should be between 1 and 1.5 (most healthy people have TSH of 1.2) and the free thyroid hormones (FT3/FT4) are in the upper third of the lab range for most healthy people.

I've been told for years that my unexplained infertility was not due to hypothyroidism because my TSH was "in range." Well, first it's not enough to just have TSH checked because it's not a thyroid hormone, it's a pituitary hormone. Any TSH over 2 should be suspicious for thyroid disease anyway. I had short cycles and short luteal phases. This was my first month on desiccated thyroid and I had a 14 day luteal phase for the first time since I started tracking 5 years ago. Actually, if my period doesn't arrive today, it will be a 15 day LP.

Please demand to have these tests done. If they are not "optimal," then try thyroid hormone for a few months to see if it helps you get pregnant naturally. I don't know the cause of your infertility but if it is unexplained, or due to endometriosis/ fibroids, thyroid disease should be a suspect.

I'll get off my soapboax now. Big hug.

Closed Thread