It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• IVF cancelled, onto IUI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
    Mim123
    (female)

Mim123 HB User
    IVF cancelled, onto IUI

Hi All.
    So I just came back from my RE and the new protocol of meds he gave me proved not to be effective. So he suggested we do an IUI this cycle instead. I had 2 failed IVFs in Feb and April and one failed frozen transfer in March. Should I be upbeat and positive about the IUI or is it really just such a small chance at success? My emotions are everywhere. HAs anyone ever had success with IUI after failed IVF? I did once hear about a woman having success wiith a switch to a smaller amount of meds. Could there be a chance for me?
    Thanks for all the support.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #2
    bee01
    Inactive
    (female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User
    Re: IVF cancelled, onto IUI

Mim- sorry for what you're going through. I did read somewhere that the biggest 1-3 follicles had the strongest chance of having healthy eggs. It could be that you have as much chance with a few eggs as you do with a lot, as long as they are healthy. I didn't have IVF but I did get pregnant with my first well timed IUI.
    Best of luck.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
    cgaines
    Inactive
    (female)

cgaines HB User

I would remind yourself that it only takes one good egg and one good sperm!! I know it's hard after so much disappointment, but you never know. Maybe those meds were doing more harm than good, you never know! Hang in there and I hope everything works out with the IUI!! I've heard a lot of good success stories on the first and second try!

Old 07-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
    jennyjen47
    (female)

jennyjen47 HB User

It is absolutely possible that IUI could work even after 3 failed attempts at IVF. It is hard to have faith that a fertilized didnt do the trick, but placing sperm near your fallopian tube will.

I dont know how often IUI is done after 3 IVF cycles, so I am not sure the literature is out on it. Usually IUI comes first. I am actually shocked they didnt try IUI first. IVF is extremely hard on your body, so they could have done more harm than good before trying IUI. I would actually try and give your body some time to adjust (I am sorry if time isnt on your side and you cant wait and Im just talking out of my butt) It seems almost backwards to go to IUI after IVF, but if IVF is not working, and you can do IUI with different meds, it could be all you need. It seems like well timed IUI does wonders. The chances of conception are apparently greater with IVF but if the drugs are not working for you in the right ways, IUI may just be what you need. I am very hopeful for you!!! If there is a male factor issue at all or youre allergic to sperm or its allergic to you (sorry I know I should word this differently but I am having a brain fart moment...) IUI can work wonders. I know all it does is place sperm near the tube that the egg is coming from, so when you look at this on paper, you would think that transferring a fertilized embryo would be more efficient but sometimes we dont always respond the way Drs think we will. You never do know. I am not sure statistically what the chances are of conception after 3 failed IVFs though. It seems that IUI is done before IVF most times and IVF is a last stop for many women. You work your way through fertility drugs, then fertility drugs with IUI, and then move to ICSI or IVF. Did you move right to IVF or have you done IUIs in the past? Is there any male factor issues at all? Do you have unexplained infertility, or is there a cause for all of this?

I wish you nothing but the best and I really hope IUI is the show that fits and you get to have a sweet baby at the end of all of this. xoxoxox Jen

I am just so sorry for what you are going through and I am so sorry that you have to go through all of this to have what so many women have fall in their laps... babies! Have faith. I know it is hard sometimes but at times, faith is all I have.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
    Belly Kelly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

Anything is possible, but may I ask why the IVF meds didn't work?

Closed Thread