It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Weird bass/rumbling sound in left ear after a cold

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
    constable85
    (male)

constable85 HB User
    Weird bass/rumbling sound in left ear after a cold

Has anyone had this? I had a cold for about a week and during the cold I noticed a bass type sound in my left ear. It sort of sounds like being at a stop sign and hearing a car behind you somewhere playing their music too loudly with the bass rumble. It's low volume but it's noticeable and annoying. Could this be due to my cold? Will it go away? I have an appointment with an ENT tomorrow but after reading online I don't expect much. I have lost confidence in doctors, it seems they can't cure ANYTHING. Why do we pay them again? Guess it's the best we have.

Anyway, I can't help but believe it has to be linked to my cold as it appeared during it but who knows? Ears are weird to be sure.

As a note, I have the regular mild ringing tinnitus (I've fine with that now) and I get swooshing in my left ear too when I stand up after lying down etc. (also never really concerned me as it sort of made sense to me that blood would flow during those movements and it dissipates quickly). And I had some bad ear infections when I was a little kid but don't really remember them. My mom said they were about to put tubes in if I had another and I didn't. I also had a hearing test done about 6 months ago and it was fine, no measurable hearing loss.

Last edited by constable85; 07-06-2015 at 06:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #2
    constable85
    (male)

constable85 HB User
    Re: Weird bass/rumbling sound in left ear after a cold

So this morning the bass/rumbling sound is much better. I think it may be completely gone but I'm not so quick to believe that. It has lasted for about a week for the record and it seems to have been caused by my cold as I didn't notice it before that and it has gotten better as my cold has finally almost 98% cleared up. I will still go to the ENT rather than cancel because if it comes back I'll wish I would have had my ears looked at rather than make a whole new appointment. So, I'm cautiously optimistic that it is gone for good. But like I said, ears are weird so who knows?

Old 07-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
    constable85
    (male)

constable85 HB User

Okay so not fully gone. Still with me a bit and annoying me. Especially since I work in a quiet office.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
    constable85
    (male)

constable85 HB User

ENT said this sound can be caused by a cold and should dissipate but also said if it doesn't go away there was nothing he could do. He removed some ear wax from my right ear too. It was as I suspected: a waste of time and money.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #5
    constable85
    (male)

constable85 HB User

At home now after work and working out at the gym. No ear sound as I sit here but as I've seen it may be back. Still, it is clearly improved which is nice. The tough thing is accepting it's not there when it's not. I keep feeling worried that it will come back. I just need to chill, maybe take a benadryl and have a good sleep.

Closed Thread