It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Dizziness, Tinnitus, Ear Pressure, Headaches

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
    tcop
    (male)

tcop HB User
    Dizziness, Tinnitus, Ear Pressure, Headaches

Background with ear related history:

I'm a 26 year old male, at the age of about 6 I was given a hearing test in elementary school that showed I had high frequency hearing loss in my right ear. This was unexplained as my parents don't recall exposing me to any loud noises. The high frequency hearing loss has never bothered me and the noises that fall into the frequency level aren't important for general hearing. When I was about 20, I perforated my eardrum in my right ear and had an ear infection from a wild dive into a pool that rushed water into my ear. I was treated for that and the ear drum regenerated over time. These could be completely unrelated, but just wanted to give that background just in case.

Current situation:

At 24, about 2 years ago I felt like my right ear was clogged and I kept yawning to try and relieve the pressure. During small changes in elevation during driving I felt very sensitive to pressure change as well. I saw an ENT, he gave me some antibiotics and hoped that might take care of it. It didn't seem to work and I just tried to deal with it. After a few months, after not being able to sleep one night I noticed a high tone ringing in my right ear. Since then, the tinnitus has continued. Throughout times, it has been unbearably loud and at others hardly noticeable. I went back to the same ENT and he scheduled an MRI which came back normal, no sign of an acoustic neuroma. In the last 3 months, I have gradually developed dizziness that has gotten worse over time. The dizziness feels like I'm swaying back and forth, someone is pushing on the side of my head, or feels like I have bouncy cushions in my shoes. Also, the I get very dizzy when I lift weights or run. I believe the dizziness has also caused headaches. The same ENT said that the only thing he could think of would be to schedule another MRI in 6 months. After that, I decided to see an Otoneurologist this time since I wanted to get a different opinion. He recommended that we hold off on another MRI and start from the bottom and rule out other causes. He did some tests including one where he blew some air into my ears and he saw that my right ear drum was not responding as my left one was. He prescribed me an oral steroid and asked me to take an antihistamine and nasal spray to see if it might clear out anything in the Eustachian tube. The oral steroid didn't change my symptoms. Next visit, he asked me to try a low sodium diet and scheduled a Electronystagmography (ENG) Test. The low sodium diet hasn't really changed anything so far, it's been almost a week. Depending upon the results of the test, he will poke a hole through the ear drum to relieve pressure and see if that gives me any relief. I've been going through this for quite some time and my quality of life is certainly on a down swing. I was prescribed Xanax to deal with the anxiety that the symptoms cause and I guarantee that my thoughts don't help the situation. I've never posted on a health forum before, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated and I hope everyone with similar symptoms the best! I'm optimistic and determined, just want to feel like myself again.

Note: The severity of my symptoms seem to vary day to day, week to week and I have had a few days on vacation where I experience little to no dizziness. Some days, quite tolerable, some days not.

Thanks,

Tom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
    Moon beam
    (female)

Moon beam HB User
    Re: Dizziness, Tinnitus, Ear Pressure, Headaches

Hi Tom,
    I feel for you. I'm no doctor but felt I could offer this; ask to be evaluated for tmj, and if you have been in any car accidents or other trauma, ; the body does remember. Meaning if you hit your head maybe later on a symptom related to that trauma may reveal itself. I'm wishing you all the best. ��

The Following User Says Thank You to Moon beam For This Useful Post:
    tcop (09-22-2015)
    Old 09-20-2015, 02:54 AM   #3
    jim345
    (male)

jim345 HB User

Those symptoms started for me when i was 23 and it's been going on non stop for 14 years (but i've had a lot of issues focusing as a result) i should have been able to solve this problem but it caused me to lose my mind and then i focused too much on getting the ability to solve the problem because i felt i didn't have the resources and i think i should have just stayed connected with myself and simplified (it can get very bad better to try to improve early on)

i went through a very stressful event right before all this started but i would suggest maybe being physically healthy -stay physically active even if it just gives you the energy to function while dealing with this -and self aware and maybe look into posture (also sleep - maybe a flat night guard that let's you slide your teeth around)

Last edited by Administrator; 09-20-2015 at 01:44 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jim345 For This Useful Post:
    tcop (09-22-2015)
    Old 09-20-2015, 05:39 AM   #4
    Moon beam
    (female)

Moon beam HB User

Dear Tom,
    I absolutely feel for you. I wish I had answers for you. My only thoughts are trauma causes changes to the body, and I am someone with tmj and I know that also has wide range of symptoms affecting the whole body. I m concerned for you that ENT WOULD like to make a cut in your eardrum I would suggest a secon opinion. I've read from other post boards that ENTs are not helpful unless you have sinus infection. I would go back to your otoneurologist or seek second opinion otoneurologist ....I'm praying for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Moon beam For This Useful Post:
    tcop (09-22-2015)
    Old 09-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
    tcop
    (male)

tcop HB User

Thanks to Moon beam and jim345 for your replies! It's been helpful to know that there are people out there that have been through similar symptoms and are willing to reach out.

Moon beam: I will definitely be hesitant to have the ENT make a cut in my ear drum and as time goes on I really think that wouldn't help anything. As far as the "body remembers" idea you mentioned. I could see a few things in my life that could fall into that category. I've had 2 concussions, one from play fighting when I was in middle school and another when I was 14 from diving into a shallow pool which also strained my neck. Other than that, I've also had 8 years of braces/appliances to correct an overbite and a narrow pallet. My bite definitely isn't perfect, however, I don't have any jaw pain but can hear crackling/popping in my ear when I open/close my jaw.

jim345: Wow, 14 years! So sorry to hear that. I've been trying to stay healthy through this and in general I am a really healthy person and very athletic. The toughest part has been not feeling like I can exercise since it makes me dizzy. Sometimes I just do it anyway and I feel like it doesn't help.

UPDATE: I went to the dentist to get examined for TMJ and the dentist says it could certainly be a possibility. He wants to do a full diagnosis examination so I scheduled an appointment, but have learned about the fuzzy line between medical and dental insurance as far as TMJ diagnosis and treatment goes. This means that it could cost me quite a bit out of pocket so I'm waiting until I see my Otoneurologist to see if he thinks it is worthwhile (Also I get on new medical insurance in October so I want to see if that may save me some money).

Last edited by moderator2; 09-22-2015 at 01:09 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    dizziness, ear, headaches, pressure, tinnitus