It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• BPPV - Trouble walking?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
    techop
    (male)

techop HB User
    BPPV - Trouble walking?

Let me start by outlining my timeline of events:

Saturday (10/17) - Was walking up the stairs to my friends apartment and had a random dizzy spell. Was able to walk the rest of the way up the stairs and sit down. Got dizzy every time I tried to stand up, things smelled really strongly. Sat for a couple of hours and recovered enough to drive myself home, felt good the rest of the night and had no further dizzy spells.

Sunday (10/18) - Woke up around 5-6am and the whole world was spinning. Was able to stumble to the bathroom, where I vomited. Decided I needed to see a doctor, so went to the urgent care center. Nurse practitioner diagnosed me with Vertigo (unknown cause) gave me a script for Meclizine and sent me on my way. I went home and did a lot of sleeping.

Monday (10/19) - Still having trouble walking, did not work per the doctor at the urgent care.

Tuesday (10/20) - Tried to work, but got dizzy when I tried to concentrate on anything. Ended up getting an appointment to see the Physician Assistant at my doctor's office. She didn't really do anything but diagnosed me with BPPV and ordered physical therapy. Still having trouble walking at this point, and my head feels heavy.

Wednesday (10/21) - Didn't work again, same trouble as Tuesday. Ended up getting Physical Therapy appointment. Physical Therapist also said he thought I had BPPV and observed nystagmus when turning my head to the right. Performed Epley maneuver two times and sent me home. Still having trouble walking at this point.

Thursday (10/21) - Managed to work, no more dizzy spells but my head still feels heavy. It also feels like a weight is shifting if I move my head around. Still having trouble walking.

Friday (10/22) - Same symptoms as Thursday

I guess my question is whether this is BPPV or something else? I think my symptoms fit more closely with a inner ear infection, as my right ear feels full and there is some tinnitus. Has anyone else with BPPV also had balance problems not directly associated with a vertigo spell?

I have a follow up appointment with the physical therapist on Monday, but I'm not sure the point of this. Perhaps to check me again, and maybe do more Epley maneuvers, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
    Minxy21
    (female)

Minxy21 HB User
    Re: BPPV - Trouble walking?

Hi,

I'm hoping you read my reply. I'm going through something very similar. Been 2 weeks since my initial spell....how are you doing. Did you find anything out?

Old 11-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #3
    techop
    (male)

techop HB User

Hi Minxy21 -

Almost a month later and I am doing a lot better. I am walking normally and have returned to work and started driving again. There are still times where I have a momentary loss of balance, but quickly regain. There are also still positions that feel different than pre-BPPV such as laying down or moving my head quickly. I assume that eventually I will feel 100% again.

Hang in there, it does eventually get better.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
    Minxy21
    (female)

Minxy21 HB User

Thanks for the reply....

My DR made it sound like I would be fine in a couple days so I'm a bit concerned to still feel off.

Did your head ever feel weird? Like pressure or tightness when you moved around? I feel pretty good sitting or laying but when I get up, my head just feels off...plus I get tired easily. I really hate this....I was going to make an appointment with an ent but not sure if it's worth it.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if this will subside on its own. Yours seemed to, so I guess there's hope. If you can, just let me know if you felt anything similiar.

Thanks !

Closed Thread