It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2016, 08:39 AM   #1
    Melisa1
    (female)

Melisa1 HB User
    Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease

After a 2 1/2 month struggle with my hearing in first my left, then my right ear, I was diagnosed with autoimmune inner ear disease yesterday. I have only found 2 or 3 interesting personal accounts of other people's experience with this rare disease on-line and was wondering if there was anyone out there in HealthBoards land who has a similar diagnosis and would be willing to share their experience.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
    mycatisthegreat
    (female)

mycatisthegreat HB User
    Re: Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease

What are your symptoms?

Old 01-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
    Melisa1
    (female)

Melisa1 HB User

Rapidly progressive, bilateral, sensorineural hearing loss. Had an MRI to rule out acoustic neuroma, MS, lupus, etc.

Before mid-October, my hearing was at least normal and probably better than average for a 51 y.o. woman. Then, on the morning of October 13th, I discovered that I had suddenly lost a large chunk of high frequency hearing on the left side. A couple of days later, an audiometry eval bore that out. Cue the corticosteroids!

Prednisone seemed to be a tiny bit effective for the 3 weeks I was on it, but after I tapered and got the medication, my hearing on the left side continued to deteriorate. At my first audiometry eval, my speech discrimination on that side was still 100% despite serious high frequency loss. By the beginning of December, however, I could no longer use the phone with my left ear. Two weeks before that, I had begun to hear some new, high-pitched tinnitus in my good ear, but did a really good job of remaining in denial about what was going on in my good ear until I noticed the deterioration with the bad ear. Then I checked out the good ear with some on-line hearing tests and figured out the bad news myself. That was a really scary, depressing day!

I called my ENT back with news that my hearing loss was now in both ears. He referred me onto an oto-neurologist. Had to wait 1 month for an apt. In the meantime, I had to start using closed captioning with the TV. Also, just last week, I started having problems understanding the car radio.

The oto-neurologist had about 4 different tests run, including another audiometry eval that showed I was now functionally deaf in my left ear and suffering moderate impairment in the right. He told me I would probably being going completely deaf and sooner rather than later if I didn't start immunosuppressant therapy ASAP ( which I am attempting to do). What he did not tell me, but which I have gleaned from reading the available online research is that there is no cure for this disease -- that I will be going deaf, immunosuppressants or not -- it is just a question of how long it will take. Will it be days, months or hopefully years?

So, has anyone else had a relatively good experience with this kind of thing! Long-term remission? That kind of thing.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
    mycatisthegreat
    (female)

mycatisthegreat HB User

I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this. I wish you the best.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:51 AM   #5
    AreGee
    (female)

AreGee HB User

I have similar experiences and symptoms, I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease, which is an autoimmune inner ear disorder that causes hearing loss, fullness/ear pressure, sound distortion, vertigo spouts, fatigue, nystagmus, and other various symptoms. It's a neuro-physiological disease. Stress, dehydration, loud noises, etc. can trigger vertigo and other symptoms. I've had it since I was 20. I am out of remission for a good while now so I'm going back through a full testing assessment. My ENTs specialize in this inner ear disease, but most doctors are uneducated about it. I also developed TMJ despite 6 years of oral ortgodontry and peridontry. Next docs to see are: Otarologist, Immunology, Endocrinologist, and Neurologist (temporal bone scan to check for SCDS)

Perhaps you don't have what I have, but it's a fairly unknown disorder that's just being realized by the medical community. Look into it, it's worth a shot to maybe guide your doctors to check into it.

The Following User Says Thank You to AreGee For This Useful Post:
    OnlyOneSky (04-15-2016)
    Old 03-02-2016, 01:04 AM   #6
    Mg2121
    (female)

Mg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB User

One person here mentioned their experience with menieres and I wanted to add to that. On top of the medical treatments for this, I know that my friend also sees a nutrionist that specializes in such and changed his diet. I do not know specifics on it however it tremendously has improved his symptoms. Once you find out what is wrong with you maybe that's another avenue for you to look into. I wish you luck with this.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:58 AM   #7
    OnlyOneSky
    (male)

OnlyOneSky HB User

I had rapidly progressive, bilateral, mimicking SSHL to some degree. I was given an ECOG, yes; however, it and other tests seem to disprove that I have SSHL (which I had about five years ago); SSHL has a very specific action on audio frequency reduction that makes it quite a different experience, that I remember.

In any case, there are a few other layers that make me question the tentative diagnosis of AIED: my tinnitus, in both ears, is (now) out of control, changing almost hourly (although this could be because of AIED); soft sounds are too loud, loud sounds are unbearable, and in general I have problems “making sense” of sounds—what they are and mean; compromised hearing and audio processing articulation (and though the clumsy tests I have had so far do not corroborate it, I know I am right, having been a musician for 50 years and having done audio engineering for half that); the one-year “ramping up” to this blowout of my hearing was an ever-escalating pattern of dizziness and vestibular problems from merely general movement of my neck and head; over the same year I experienced an ever-escalating increase in cognitive and logic impairment; experiencing a sort of “fullness” at the back and base of skull for months, what felt like inflammation spread out over (but under) much of the back part of my scalp; and yet, for the most part, the recent administration of 60mg/day of Prednisone, 20mg per cap, was somewhat like a miracle cure: it made half of these symptoms go away almost completely (although the tinnitus and hearing problems remain, diminished by only about 1/3). Finally, for lack of a better term, I have the sensation of self-perceived (disruptive) “cranial aura” that seems created/triggered by my hearing (or inaccuracies of same).

Unfortunately, I did not have the funds during the past few months. I went with an ignorant, inferior ENT that my insurance covered and was consequently on three different, low-dose Prednisone regimes during two months’ time (a big no-no; you’re supposed to be slammed onto 60mg/day for 1 month and then tapered, that is what everyone who understands AIED agrees upon).

Frankly, conducting my life has become very difficult. I have to wear earplugs everywhere (-20dB), can’t listen to music anymore (any volume above the level of the refrigerator is too loud, and in any case music just sounds like a big, unintelligible morass). So I am unbelievably lucky to currently have a very low-stress job where there is almost zero verbal interaction with others. It doesn’t matter that my hearing is messed up; in fact, some of the people have far worse hearing than I do (even with their hearing aids helping them).

Prednisone seemed to be quite effective the first two courses of it I took; but now, no longer so. Like Melisande1, I have begun to hear some new, high-pitched tinnitus in one of my ears. (When I clench my teeth on that side, the ringing changes. I have no idea what that means.) I am not yet at the point of having problems understanding TV shows, but am very close. It’s hard to tell because I started using close-captioning 20 years ago back when my hearing was fine.

I really wish these doctors would stop trying to rely on tests to prove stuff. I KNOW my hearing is messed up. I am the best judge of it, having worked in audio and music for 50 years.

At this point, I am not yet sure that it’s AIED. The dizziness and cognitive impairment that I had for a year leading up to this…I don’t know whether it’s relevant or not.

One of the biggest problems is that I have is people to discuss this with. There are currently very few threads on forums on the internet that focus on AIED.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-07-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #8
    OnlyOneSky
    (male)

OnlyOneSky HB User

I have drastically reduced salt and am taking 2,000MCG of B-12 3x/day. Have no idea if this will help or not, however.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-07-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Closed Thread