It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Possibly ETD?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
    bluesparkles
    (female)

bluesparkles HB User
    Possibly ETD?

Hello, this might be a little bit of a long post so bare with me. I just thought I'd share my experience with ETD (possibly?) and offer some things I've found to make it more bearable.

I am a 25 year old female with papillary thyroid cancer and scoliosis. About a few months ago (not sure exactly when, I can't remember when my ears felt normal!) I'd be feeling like I was always in an airplane with the fullness in my ears. No pain. Just fullness and pressure. I could pop them just fine, but it would go right back to how it felt not even a minute later. It was like this for a while before I could go to the doctor, who didn't really know what to do. I have small ears in general, and have problems with excessive ear wax. I get them cleaned regularly, and the wax doesn't seem to be the cause of the issue. I was hoping it would be that easy. XD

I have tried three different nasal sprays that the doctors have suggested (nasonex, avamys, and something else the name escapes me) and antihistamines (equate brand, 10 mg once a day). I can't take decongestants sadly because I have high blood pressure. The nasal sprays did nothing, but the antihistamines have worked wonders, I'd say at least 85% better!

I took them until they were gone, and the condition hasn't worsened. These are my tips on making it more bearable:

- VICKS VAPO RUB. Either apply some to a small cotton ball and stick it in your ear for a while, or just rub some around the outer part of the ear and behind it, in front of it. It provides a cooling effect, helps with any pain that comes from popping the ears, even helps relieve the pressure a little. I'd leave the cotton balls in for half an hour to an hour. If I just apply directly, I usually do it before bed and leave it on over night.

- APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. I started drinking this for health reasons, but when I heard it was good for ear wax, I did the same thing with the cotton balls, put some on both and stuck them in my ears for a while. Q-tips work too, just don't stick them in too far! I didn't expect it to help with this issue at all, but boy did it. I can go a few days without any pressure now, and I usually apply it once a day, for about 30 mins-1 hour, as long as I can.

- NO HEADPHONES, OR LESS USE. I have a theory, at least with my case. My headphones cause it. I used in ear heaphones for the longest time (Sony, cheap brand), and loved them because they were comfy and provided great sound. However, when I take them out, I'd notice the pressure and pain with my ears way worse than usual, so I stop using headphones, and only use them when I go out. I keep the volume down, and only use them for a time before giving my ears a break. I don't use head phones at all at home anymore aside from quick ******* videos were the volume sucks on my laptop. Perhaps I am allergic to the material of my headphones and it irritates my ears?

I have one more theory onto what is causing this, if not ETD related, since my only symptoms are pressure/fullness + popping habit to relieve the pressure, and occasional pain from popping the ears. I have thyroid cancer, and have had my thyroid removed. A nerve was cut because the tumor had spread, as well as a vocal cord. My scar goes all the way up to my left ear. The left side of my neck is numb and I have to do exercises or else it'll get tight. Down to the theory, I think tight muscles might be a factor as well. Unfortunately, I can't go to a chiropractor or masseus for disability reasons, so I'm left with self-massaging techniques to test my theory. I've seen some other people say massages and things have helped them, and it made me think about my neck... so I guess it's possible.

What are your thoughts? Do you have any tips on dealing with ETD (if that's what my particular condition is, this is just a self diagnosis after a lot of research and doctor visits)? I hope these little remedies help someone out there as well!

Notes: This does not affect my hearing loss at all. I get occasional ringing in my ears, but very rarely. I also have occasional tingling by my right ear, like pins and needles with no pain, like a bug is crawling by my ear. That mostly happens at night.

I have tried all the usual things suggested (nasal sprays, antihistamines, gum chewing, yawning, ear popping, etc. Can't take anything that will affect high blood pressure).

I do not have any other allergy symptoms, just a small case of post nasal drip.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread