It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Perilymph Fistula Sufferers?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2016, 06:53 AM   #1
    doggydruel
    (female)

doggydruel HB User
    Red face Perilymph Fistula Sufferers?

Though I am actually considering that I have something called basilar migraines, which in many ways can mimic fistulas, I want to make sure that there is no chance of small bilateral fistulas in my ears.
    Essentially, I have had progressive hearing loss for 11 months now, along with a number of other symptoms that began to flare up in August. I have a history of 3 separate acoustic traumas that occurred earlier last year, and I have heard that under extraordinary circumstances acoustic traumas can cause fistulas at the oval window.

My triggers have included loudish noise above 80 decibels, middle ear pressure changes from flying on an airplane or wearing earplugs, strenuous exercise, lifting heavy objects, and clenching my teeth too hard at one point (I was angry).

Most times when I have an extended exposure to any of these factors, I am usually left with a small degree of permanent bilateral hearing loss. I am also often left with dizziness/imbalance symptoms, rocking boat vertigo, roaring or very high pitched tinnitus, parathesia in my hands and feet, pressure headaches that start at the temples and migrate to the sinuses, pressure behind my eyes and occasional aura, hyperacusis, middle ear myoclonus (muscle fluttering), feelings of cold liquid deep in my ears, and on a few occasions, a fuzzy lightheaded feeling that makes me feel I am going to pass out.
    Many of these symptoms resolve, but some, like the vertigo and ear fullness, often stay around long term and present in daily episodes.

Do these sound like familiar symptoms to anyone who has (or has had) a PLF? Please do let me know of any similar experiences! Am on the verge of needing hearing aids, so I am trying to get to the root of the problem as soon as possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
    Nygal2012
    (female)

Nygal2012 HB User
    Re: Perilymph Fistula Sufferers?

Hi, I am new to boards and just read your post. I have the exact same symptoms as you report and my neurotologist is suspect of PLF. Are your symptoms 24/7 or just provoked by pressure or noise? Have you had any testing?

Old 03-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #3
    Nygal2012
    (female)

Nygal2012 HB User

Sorry, I want to add that In 1999 I was diagnosed with Migraine associated vertigo as well. I did not have Ear pressure, tinnitus or hearing loss till this past January. Menieres has also been thrown into a possible diagnosis but I do not experience rotational vertigo...yet..

Old 03-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
    doggydruel
    (female)

doggydruel HB User

Hi!

No my symptoms are not 24/7 but all of the above things I mentioned are still triggers, including stress and anxiety attacks of late.

I have such a diversity of symptoms unrelated to the ear at this point that I really doubt it is due to a PLF. I also did a recent hearing test and came back with a reasonably normal audiogram that was unchanged since November, despite that I am losing hearing more frequently now and have problems understanding speech in any environment. That may indicate auditory neuropathy, which means that the inner ear is healthy but that the nerve connections are not.

Who knows perhaps it is just migraines and fundamentally stress that provoke my symptoms.

I will be getting new tests as well. I am scheduled for an MRI (if I can take the awful noise), as well as ABR and OAE testing (tests for functionality of hair cells and how your brain reacts to noise input). As I still get transient vertigo, I may get novel balance testing as well, and maybe a PLF test if my new neuro-otologist offers it.

Did you happen to get testing yourself or have a PLF confirmed? Did they also administer an MRI? If you are also getting other neurological symptoms along with the ear problems, that could point to a neurological problem and not necessarily the inner ear. A Chiari malformation, and rarely MS can cause PLF symptoms and migraines of certain types.
    Not to scare you of course, but if you are still un-diagnosed that is some food for thought if your doctors have not already checked for those.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:12 AM   #5
    delusive
    (male)

delusive HB User

I was popping my ear a lot due to ETD (doctors said this was safe) and after doing it for a long time I suddenly lost my hearing in one ear. It came back after a few days, but I basically carried on popping my ear as I didn't think it was related, now I am dizzy all the time, I get the feeling of fluid in my ear and get bouts of a falling sensation which is unbearable. Because I have a history of issues with my other ear (which is more or less deaf) that seems to be the focus of the doctor's, it's so frustrating when I can clearly feel pressure sensitivity, fullness, fluid etc. but they keep telling me it's probably my MAV, I've tried low salt diets, serc and amitriptyline.

I've also tried weeks of bed rest which helped a bit but was soon undone after going back to work (a desk job).

Last edited by Administrator; 10-24-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    acoustic trauma tinnitus hyperacusis ear, hearing loss, perilymph fistula