It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Dizziness when exposed to loudness Please Help :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #1
    Adam1990
    (male)

Adam1990 HB User
    Unhappy Dizziness when exposed to loudness Please Help :(

Hi there,

I'm experiencing something unusual and I'm hoping someone will have some idea as to what it is, I have a GP appointment next week but naturally keen to scare myself to death beforehand.

I'm profoundly deaf in both ears but use hearing aids and communicate verbally, listen to music, all the usual stuff. A few weeks ago my hearing in one ear dropped slightly and a couple of days later I was driving home on a lengthy journey when I began to feel dizzy and lightheaded. Once I got home I thought I may be dehydrated so drank plenty and carried on. All symptoms of dizziness were gone and all seemed normal. However, when I was cooking with the loud extractor fan on, my dizziness started to return after a while of being exposed to the sound. I switched my hearing aids off and the dizziness disappeared, so I knew it was being caused by sound from the engine and extractor fan.

I tested this again using music through headphones and surely enough when I listened through the affected ear, the dizziness returned after a while of listening. I have had increased tinnitus when listening to things, different to the usual ringing, sometimes humming and after I have listened to something loud for a while my hearing level seems to drop although it appears to recover the following day.

I initially thought it was labyrinthitis as it seems to match the symptoms and I had a cold (but minor) shortly beforehand. However, the fact that the symptoms disappear when I am in silence and labyrinthitis is constant makes me think it can't be that. Menieres perhaps fits the symptoms as well, but I don't experience vertigo just light headedness sort of dizziness, I haven't experienced any 'fullness of the ear' and it doesn't come on in severe attacks from any food or light trigger which looks to be the usual case with MD. If I forced myself to listen to music I assume I would be perpetually dizzy (which fits labyrinthitis more than the wave attacks of MD)?

So basically if I listen to reasonably loud sounds in my right ear, tinnitus starts, hearing level drops after a while (perhaps because the tinnitus is ringing and drowning out the sound...) and a lightheaded dizziness begins to take effect. Nothing else, food, light, moving about, alcohol or anything seem to set it off.

Please help!

Extra note: I have also had a sore neck for a few months which has been visibly knotted, but I have presumed unrelated because of tinnitus/hearing drops.

Last edited by Adam1990; 02-18-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
    aronis
    Inactive
    (male)

aronis HB User
    Re: Dizziness when exposed to loudness Please Help :(

Greetings Adam1990...I have a similar situation with hearing aids and noise. I find I turn off my hearing aids most of the day and it hurts when I turn them on, even at a low setting. Once the noise trigger kicks in I start to feel queasy and woozy and with the feeling of disorientation and a weird sense of pressure behind my eyes, forehead, and skull. I haven't been getting vertigo but I wobble around mildly unstable but still in control of my balance. I haven't become nauseous but my interest in food drops to nil. Do you have any of these other symptoms Adam1990?

Old 03-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
    Adam1990
    (male)

Adam1990 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aronis View Post
    Greetings Adam1990...I have a similar situation with hearing aids and noise. I find I turn off my hearing aids most of the day and it hurts when I turn them on, even at a low setting. Once the noise trigger kicks in I start to feel queasy and woozy and with the feeling of disorientation and a weird sense of pressure behind my eyes, forehead, and skull. I haven't been getting vertigo but I wobble around mildly unstable but still in control of my balance. I haven't become nauseous but my interest in food drops to nil. Do you have any of these other symptoms Adam1990?

Hi Aronis,

It doesn't hurt anywhere when I listen to anything but that may be more due to the fact I'm profoundly deaf so it takes a lot of noise to set me off, where does it hurt?

I don't have the sensation of pressure as you describe but I do feel the unsteady feeling, not spinning or anything just have to pay attention when walking/balancing. If you spend the day in silence do you still get the symptoms?

I've had more headaches than normal since this has begun too.

I went to the doctors last week who said it was not Menieres (without doing any basic testing!) but put me on betahistine for the balance... which is used for the treatment of Menieres?! Maybe he thought it was useful for other conditions with similar symptoms. I had a huge migrane the other day so stopped taking the betahistine as the symptoms I have are mild but the side effects of the medication were so painful it wasn't worth it.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
    aronis
    Inactive
    (male)

aronis HB User

Greetings Adam1990

Interesting you mention betahistine since I've seen it mentioned as the go-to drug in the UK for menieres but not so here in USA. Did it do anything beneficial before the migraine attack?

To answer your question I guess there are periods when the hyperacusis doesn't trigger the discomfort/wooziness. It just seems that I've been getting this condition more and more frequently even with just brief exposure to sound via my hearing aid (I use just one, my other ear is so profoundly deaf that I stopped using an aid decades ago).

The problem I have is I never know when this is going to strike...

Do you go long periods between episodes?

I'm not sure what the protocol is on this board but my name is Alan should you choose to communicate further on this topic.

All the best and thanks for your response to my post.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
    Adam1990
    (male)

Adam1990 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aronis View Post
    Greetings Adam1990

Interesting you mention betahistine since I've seen it mentioned as the go-to drug in the UK for menieres but not so here in USA. Did it do anything beneficial before the migraine attack?

To answer your question I guess there are periods when the hyperacusis doesn't trigger the discomfort/wooziness. It just seems that I've been getting this condition more and more frequently even with just brief exposure to sound via my hearing aid (I use just one, my other ear is so profoundly deaf that I stopped using an aid decades ago).

The problem I have is I never know when this is going to strike...

Do you go long periods between episodes?

I'm not sure what the protocol is on this board but my name is Alan should you choose to communicate further on this topic.

All the best and thanks for your response to my post.
    I'm not sure if the betahistine did anything, I didn't get any wooziness, for want of a better description, whilst I was on it but I wasn't exposed to anything that would trigger it during that time, so it could be coincidental.

I can trigger it to happen at will, almost, by listening to medium loud music (but normal level for me) or some loud things like car engine, so I know when it will occur, e.g. when I listen to MP3 for a while. But it doesn't always occur when it's loud, and often it starts but once I've braved an hour of slightly wooziness or so it disappears and I'm fine. I went for a night out a few weeks ago and at the start it was beginning to start but eventually it went away and I spent 7 hours in nightclubs feeling 100%. That was before betahistine.

I haven't been having it more or less frequently, I think I can set it off if I put myself in certain situations with loudness so it's not random, the noise is triggering it. It doesn't feel like 'an attack' which is why I'm reluctant to think it's Menieres (and my Doc said the same thing).

It sounds like we have very similar if not the same thing, my guess is that your hearing in the affected ear is better than mine, so your trigger is a bit less predictable? Just guessing though. Have you seen a doctor?

Old 04-20-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
    dizzyear
    (male)

dizzyear HB User

The dizziness you experience caused by noise is a possible fit for Superior Canal Dissidence Syndrome. I have this condition which includes sound induced dizziness/disequlibrium called the 'Tullio phenomenon'. I added a post in the dizziness board that has more information if you are interested to compare your symptoms. This condition is far less common than Meniere's Disease but may be a better fit. My understanding of Meniere's is that it comes with episodes of vertigo/spinning.

There are several other symptoms but this conditions is different for each person that has it, making it very hard to diagnose.

Closed Thread