It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• sudden pressure in ears, sensitivity to noise

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
    Danni1979
    (female)

Danni1979 HB User
    sudden pressure in ears, sensitivity to noise

Ok this has happened to me a couple of times now & its freaking me out(googled!!) out of nowhere my ears will feel full of intense pressure(can open eustachian tubes etc but it has no effect on releasing the pressure)i cant stand any sound as it makes my whole head vibrate,it feels liek my ears drums are streched & going to burst but the ear drums both look fine.when i hear certain noises it makes my ear drum actually flutter.my tinnitus(i hve it constantly) changes pitch to a low tone and becomes VERY loud.the past 2 times its slowly gone after about 6 ish hours.i hve googled today and come up with lots of horrible things!! Cochlear hydrops etc.i have eustachian tube dysfunction off and on and it most definatly isnt this!! Does this sound similar to anyone?? Oh i also had NO hearing loss,if anything my ears necame much much more sensitive to sound.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
    doggydruel
    (female)

doggydruel HB User
    Re: sudden pressure in ears,sensitivity to noise

Have you looked into the Tonic Tensor Tympani syndrome? Your middle ear muscles could be tensing up spasming like crazy in response to noises. That would precipitate all of the above symptoms.

It is a kind of anxiety response, and you seem to have plenty of when these issues flare up.

Last edited by doggydruel; 04-04-2016 at 05:47 PM.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:14 AM   #3
    Mg2121
    (female)

Mg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB User

Have you been started on any new medications recently. Some meds can cause ear issues similar to your symptoms. Just a thought.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #4
    Danni1979
    (female)

Danni1979 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by doggydruel View Post
    Have you looked into the Tonic Tensor Tympani syndrome? Your middle ear muscles could be tensing up spasming like crazy in response to noises. That would precipitate all of the above symptoms.

It is a kind of anxiety response, and you seem to have plenty of when these issues flare up.

Would it really?? I cant find any info on it like mine if that makes sense?? Just about rythmatic clicking,but the pressure was so intense!!

Old 04-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #5
    Danni1979
    (female)

Danni1979 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mg2121 View Post
    Have you been started on any new medications recently. Some meds can cause ear issues similar to your symptoms. Just a thought.

No,i havent x

Old 04-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
    thekittyofcastl
    (female)

thekittyofcastl HB User

I had these symptoms four years. The diagnosis after many doctors - perilymph fistula. Look for neurotologist who treats this, some don't believe it can happen. I just had surgery and the pressure had gotten so bad in left ear that it fractured a bone in my ear. I know have titanium prosthesis.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:10 AM   #7
    noontime
    (male)

noontime HB User

I have the exact same problem. What was the treatment? what was the dX?

Old 09-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #8
    thekittyofcastl
    (female)

thekittyofcastl HB User

Check out perilymph fistula. That might be it, I finally got a diagnosis after four years. Not all ENT do this.

Last edited by mod85; 10-19-2016 at 12:11 PM.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
    Danni1979
    (female)

Danni1979 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noontime View Post
    I have the exact same problem. What was the treatment? what was the dX?
    Hiya they diagnosed me with vestibular migraine.im now trialling migraine meds.Theyve ruled out a fistula xx

Old 09-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #10
    thekittyofcastl
    (female)

thekittyofcastl HB User

How did they rule out the fistula? You must have fistula testing. Not all ENT's do this, but it is mistaken for MAV. I would not stop until I got to the right doc and I have told you who he is.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #11
    fugazi92
    (male)

fugazi92 HB User

I hate to add another shot in the dark, but perhaps you could try googling "perilymph fistula". The noise sensitivity/tinnitus in particular lend credence to a possible fistula. Check out the list of symptoms and let me know what conculusion you arrive at. Best wishes.

-Ryan

Old 10-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #12
    thekittyofcastl
    (female)

thekittyofcastl HB User

I've had the surgery and it resolved my balance problems. However about a year ago it was suspected that I had CSF leak as well. I had no fluid coming from nose, none the less they put pledgets in there to catch it and did a nuclear cisternogram. Of course there was more radiation in my blood than the pledgets so negative test. I asked the neurologist about a test more suited to my symptoms and he puffed up and told me NO! That is the best test. Just got back from neurosurgeon who order a test to look for leak. It seems to be coming from Eustachian tubes through the ears and could have contributed to the fistula. My stapes fell off and I had to have a titanium one. I will never see that doctor again.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:59 AM   #13
    thekittyofcastl
    (female)

thekittyofcastl HB User

The neurologist that did the nuclear cisternogram. My "leak" i'f that's what it is is coming down the Eustachian tubes.
    I think mine has always been cerebral spinal fluid, I'm hoping the test will show this. If you have a lot of pain and pressure you may want to get checked out for this. I submitted some of the fluid for testing and guess what, because it had to have saliva in it, it will not show on 'sfor CSF. However the lab will send back a negative reply. There is a test for CSF in saliva but the labs don't do it. The medical facilities must order a kit and do it in their own lab. So now I am getting a test, from a neurosurgeon who looked at my research documentation and said he had no choice but to look for a leak. If you live on the west coast and suspect that you have CSF leaking from Eustachian tube, University of Irvine, will test you for it. Near New York it's Mount Sinai. Arizona it's University of Arizona, they also do perilymph fistula. I will let you know final outcome. I don't have tinnitus in left ear anymore (it was loud), just the sound of the fluid flowing. My mouth is full of the salty taste and it's miserable. The worst thing is I had been begging neuro otologist that I was seeing for a test for this and he kept telling me it was a taste disorder and wanted me to see a guy that specialized in this. Well, folks, a taste disorder does not flow from you mouth at night and soak you, your bed linens and your partner. Don't give up. I am not but Yes my balance is better after surgery but this is problem two.

Last edited by mod85; 10-19-2016 at 12:14 PM.

Closed Thread