It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Recurrent true vertigo (twice in one year)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-31-2016, 04:07 AM   #1
    whizz1234
    (female)

whizz1234 HB User
    Recurrent true vertigo (twice in one year)

Hello all

I'm new to the board, and wondered whether anyone was having a similar experience to me...

In September 2015, I suffered my first ever bout of 'true vertigo'. I was nauseous and vomited during the first day, but my condition progressively eased over a 3 week period. I still felt a little unsteady over the following months, but I was certainly over the worst of it. My doctor prescribed me with prochlorperazine, and told me that the chronic sore throat I'd been complaining of was the likely cause.

Fast forward to 19th May 2016, and I began having some unsteadiness. I felt as though I was being dragged to one side, and experienced some mild room spinning type symptoms. Yesterday (30th May 2016), I had another attack of true vertigo. My symptoms are exactly the same as my last attack, in September of last year.

I have an appointment with my GP this afternoon, but I just have a couple of questions: has anyone else ever had a recurrence of true vertigo within the space of a year? If so, what was the cause? I'm starting to worry that the vertigo has a more sinister cause...

I should probably also mention that I've been getting ear aches, a little ringing in my ears, and I have chronic sinusitis. Not sure whether that echoes anyone else's experiences...?

Thank you in advance to those who reply

(I should probably add: I'm a usually healthy, active 24 year old woman. My BMI is normal, as are things like blood pressure etc).

Last edited by whizz1234; 05-31-2016 at 04:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2016, 04:52 AM   #2
    lavanyasubbu
    (female)

lavanyasubbu HB User
    Re: Recurrent true vertigo (twice in one year)

I am also in the same situation. I don't know how old are you. I am 34, overweight. I am also suffering from the same situation for almost 6 months. First it started with a severe vertigo one day and after that off-balance feeling for 6 months. I am really scared to death.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
    Amohaf
    (female)

Amohaf HB User

I had a true episode of vertigo while driving to the doctors,my appointment was specifically for a bad ear ache. I was on the side of the road, I had some else drive me to the dr. office, my vitals were wonky and they wanted to send me to the hospital via ambulance. Once in the er I was given fluids and meclizine and the vertigo resolved itself 10 hours later. I went to ent for follow up and I was diagnosed with Ménière's disease. I'm on blood pressure medication and I always carry meclizine with me. I had to cut out salt and try to reduce stress, and the second I feel fullness or pain in my ear I pop a meclizine and that wards off my attack. Vertigo is very scary, when an attack starts,I make sure I'm in a safe place, either in bed with a bucket,or on the bathroom floor. I might add after the attacks I'm exhausted and sleep a lot for 2 to 3 days and feel very sluggish for about a week or so. Through management with the ent since 2009, I've had 4 more attacks, and as I look back, I was under large amounts of stress. Not sure my story will help, but it is worth looking in to.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #4
    beforewedie
    (female)

beforewedie HB User

Hi How are you doing now? I'm curious

I've had somewhat the same symptoms. The "attacks" are unmistakable. I, too, had ear aches! So I think that whatever it is, it's got something to do with the ear, or some type of infection (?). In any case of vertigo, I think it takes veeery little before we experience it as extreme, just because our inner ears are so sensitive.

Very interested in hearing about how you're doing right now!

Old 10-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
    fugazi92
    (male)

fugazi92 HB User

Could you please clarify if your vertigo is constant, or if it was isolated to those attacks?

Old 10-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
    Nicole4
    (female)

Nicole4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fugazi92 View Post
    Could you please clarify if your vertigo is constant, or if it was isolated to those attacks?

Not sure if mine is vertigo, but mine is constant and is more of a lightheadedness than spinning

Old 10-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #7
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi whizz...welcome to HB.

I hope you will be seeing an ENT for thorough testing for a diagnosis.
    Have you had your sore throat swabbed and tested? I also suggest you have nasal swab done for sure as well.

There are many reasons for vertigo....i have BPPV, and sinus issues definitely can have some effect. High blood pressure, heart, herpes virus attacks of the ear, eustachian tube dysfunction, brain disorders, blood testing, etc need to be checked out fully.

It's not the sore throat as a reason....it could be that your persistant sore throat is caused by reflux.

Push your GP for referrals, ct scan or mri of your head and neck, heart testing, vestibular testing, swabs of throat and nose to check for strep or staph infection. Don't settle for an easy excuse.

q

Last edited by quincy; 10-18-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Closed Thread