It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• I'm just stumbling along. Bilateral vestibolpathy and T2 Diabetes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2016, 11:59 PM   #1
    u139860
    (female)

u139860 HB User
    I'm just stumbling along. Bilateral vestibolpathy and T2 Diabetes

Hello all. I have been reading previous messages and am very encouraged that I will probably adapt to whatever is wrong with my inner ears. I'm just beginning to get diagnosed, so I'll share my history for now as an introduction.

I've had some dizziness on and off for years, but in 2013 I woke up one morning with the room spinning so bad, I could hardly walk. And when I did get up, it was to get to the restroom to empty my stomach. I also had very loud tinnitus on one ear. I went to urgent care where they checked me for stroke and cardiology problems. They gave me some antivert and they told me to go to an ENT for further diagnosis and treatment.

The ENT had me tested and they found I had the crystal problem in my ears (BPPV) and they did the procedure to move the crystals. That worked pretty well.

Fast forward to this January. I noticed that when I went for my daily walk on occasion, I would have to catch myself from falling. I had no vertigo, just feeling this odd imbalance. I started to walk with a cane to help me keep from falling. I have been a T2 diabetic for 40 years so I see a lot of DRs regularly. I started mentioning this stumbling to my Doctors, thinking it was probably those darn crystals again. The cardiologist checked me for stroke and my neck vessels for blockages. Everything was ok there. My next thought was maybe my feet were beginning to go numb ( neuropathy ) But the test at the podiatrist shows my feet are ok. So I went back to the ENT. This time they say I do not have the crystal problem but I have bilateral vestibulopathy. They could not tell me what was causing the problem, but suggested I start VRT sooner rather than later. I will have to go to the rehab at the hospital to get this training so I will have to see the hospital neurologist to get the required permission. That happens Monday.

So I've been reading up on what I can expect and I'm feeling better that this condition can be managed with the therapy. I'll just have to be careful about falls until I get my brain retrained to this new situation.

I'm just wondering if this is a common problem for T2 diabetics and even though I'm well controlled, so T2 diabetics use what is called strict control to try to avoid neuropathy problems. Any T2's out there with bilateral vestibulopathy? What are your current glucose goals? Did reducing your glucose goal levels help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2016, 07:02 AM   #2
    u139860
    (female)

u139860 HB User
    Re: I'm just stumbling along. Bilateral vestibolpathy and T2 Diabetes

Just an update: My MRI came out clear so no ANs, strokes, or other problems there , WHEW. The neurologis says I have a very mild neuropathy that is no helping matters. The ENT says This was probably brought on by a virus in my inner ears and that we will just watch and see how I do on the VRT. So I'm still stumbling around, some days better than others, and doing my VRT 3 times a day, hoping for some improvement. Time will tell.

Closed Thread