It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

sudden onset hearing loss and tiniuts

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
gjb616
(female)

gjb616 HB User
Unhappy sudden onset hearing loss and tiniuts

it all happened september 18, 2016, while sitting on my couch i suddenly had hearing loss. i have been to the hospital where they said it was from sinusitus and allergic rhinitus, i have went to my doctor for follow up whom said i had a lot of pressure in my ear and recommended that i see a ENT. went to the ent and saw a audiologist whom said i had sensonaural hearing loss ( permanent) i can still hear to a a degree in the right ear but a lot of it is muffled or sounds very tinny. thats not even my chief complaint, I could probably deal with that if not for this continuous tinitus in that ear. It makes me feel like i'm crazy sometimes its so loud and its 24/7. and now i have been having headaches and lightheaded on a regular basis. i guess what i want to know is if anyone else is going through this i was diagnosed with menieres disease. what do you do for your tinitus to get some relief any answers would be most helpful. i would like to try some natural things.. i already know i have to be on a low salt diet , and no caffiene which they say makes the tinitus worse.. i just want it to go away or get to a degree i dont even notice it. please help. thank you in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #2
gjb616
(female)

gjb616 HB User
Re: sudden onset hearing loss and tiniuts

I was supposed to get an MRI but can't afford it as i don't have insurance. I'm trying to see if my ent will let me have it done at the hospital so they can work out a payment plan. they gave me steroids at the hospital than again at the doctors. when i went to the ent he gave me a twelve day pack of prednisone. it relieved the pressure in my ear but did little else.I go back on the 28th of November to the ENT. dont know where he'll go from there. As for the tinitus they say its not curable but manageable. i just can't seem to get use to it and it has really gotten me down because some times it is really unbearably loud.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:23 PM   #3
dizzyear
(male)

dizzyear HB User

Hi gjb616,

I don't have tinnitus myself but I do have a condition where I can hear my heart beat and other internal noises which can be very irritating. I know from experience, that as time goes on, you will adapt and it will be less overwhelming. At night you might try a noise machine that makes background noise like rain or waves. I found that this helped me a lot. I have a nice app that has lot of sound options but they also make dedicated sound generators that can be purchased.

Sorry to hear of the sudden hearing loss. I had this about 1 year ago, but got better in a couple of weeks. Did you get an MRI to rule out more serious potential causes?

I believe the normal treatment for the hearing loss is for steroids near the onset of symptoms to reduce swelling. Sometimes, a shot of steroids through the ear drum. I got better on just the oral steroids.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-12-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #4
troylet
(male)

troylet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjb616 View Post
it all happened september 18, 2016, while sitting on my couch i suddenly had hearing loss. i have been to the hospital where they said it was from sinusitus and allergic rhinitus, i have went to my doctor for follow up whom said i had a lot of pressure in my ear and recommended that i see a ENT. went to the ent and saw a audiologist whom said i had sensonaural hearing loss ( permanent) i can still hear to a a degree in the right ear but a lot of it is muffled or sounds very tinny. thats not even my chief complaint, I could probably deal with that if not for this continuous tinitus in that ear. It makes me feel like i'm crazy sometimes its so loud and its 24/7. and now i have been having headaches and lightheaded on a regular basis. i guess what i want to know is if anyone else is going through this i was diagnosed with menieres disease. what do you do for your tinitus to get some relief any answers would be most helpful. i would like to try some natural things.. i already know i have to be on a low salt diet , and no caffiene which they say makes the tinitus worse.. i just want it to go away or get to a degree i dont even notice it. please help. thank you in advance.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #5
troylet
(male)

troylet HB User

Hello, sorry to hear about your situation!!!
The exact same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago, except that I have had tinnitus for years!!!
I went to the ER and was told exactly what you were told!!!
I now have the tinny sound with a dramatic loss of hearing in the higher frequencies!!!
ENT says eustation tubes are being affected by swelling at the back of nose where it meets the throat.
He has prescribed an anti-histamine spray (Aztelin) and said tinny sound was because my body is trying to compensate for the hearing loss and the dysfunction of the eustation tubes from the sinus swelling!!!
Believe it or not, you will adapt to the tinnitus if you haven't already!!!
Has the tinny sound gotten better for you???

Old 01-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #6
gjb616
(female)

gjb616 HB User

things still sound tinny and kind of robotic in my bad ear. I have gotten use to the tinitus to a degree although some days it is much louder than other days. But, i know in time i will be able to deal with it much better. when it first happened i thought i would never adjust. I have a sound machine I use at night to help me sleep.

Closed Thread