It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Bilateral Vestibular Loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #1
    WellImbalanced
    (male)

WellImbalanced HB User
    Bilateral Vestibular Loss

Hello everyone,

I have what amounts to total bilateral vestibular loss as diagnosed recently (today; but have had diagnostically progressive loss for years) by Rotary Chair, Calorics, EMPs, etc. Clean MRIs etc. etc. I will not belabor the challenges this or related conditions pose here, as many of us already know or have loved ones that we have watched battle through.

What I would love to find is anyone who knows what I can expect as I begin VRT (again). Specifically, does the oscillopsia ever go away? Does the fatigue ever lessen? Just what the H can I expect moving forward? I am 34 and feel like all the wind has been taken out of my sails.

Hoping to hear from anyone! Thanks all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2016, 02:03 AM   #2
    upright
    (male)

upright HB User
    Re: Bilateral Vestibular Loss

Hey,
    So sorry to hear this news for you. I am new to this board but just wanted to say I hope others respond soon.

I too have gone bilateral just recently found out.I am not total so I assume mine is not as severe as yours is.

The one thing you might have in your favor is that your brain is still quite plastic as you are so young and you probably have more chances to adapt.I am going to be 65 in a few weeks and my chances are diminished my doc told me as the brain produces less of the chemicals such as dopamine as we age.

Small consolation I know, it really sucks that you are so young and this has happened to you.

I wish you the best!

Old 11-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
    WellImbalanced
    (male)

WellImbalanced HB User

Thx up! I hope so - oscillopisa for like 4.5 months straight. Taking a toll, but persevering.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #4
    uga
    (male)

uga HB User

It will get better and life is not over. i have posted on several threads my experience and please feel free to reach out to me if needed.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #5
    WellImbalanced
    (male)

WellImbalanced HB User

Thx uga. I recently found an old article by a physician named John Crawford that was sort of inspirational. It is called "LIVING WITHOUT A BALANCING MECHANISM". Apparently he was given a strong course of antibiotics leading to vestibular failure in the 50s. An interesting and quick read (that you can google) if you're interested.

I am still hoping that the oscillopsia will fade and spare my career :/. Hope you are well and I appreciate your thoughts and input.

Closed Thread

Tags
    inner ear, oscillopsia, vertigo, vestibular neuritis, vestibular rehabilitation