It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Eustachian tube dysfunction from Niacin and 5 htp

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
    Sean9925
    (male)

Sean9925 HB User
    Eustachian tube dysfunction from Niacin and 5 htp

Hello everyone, I've had some form of ETD since August 2016 this year (3 months ago i.e it is currently November 2016) from serotonin supplements niacin and 5 htp (i am absolutely certain of this), i'd been taking them for a while and the start of the ETD was preceded by a period of weakness in various limbs in my body. I had tinnitus for a while but it's now gone, I do the "hold your nose and breathe out through it" manoeuver and it helps now and then but the pressure generally goes back to its previous state... I've found going to a steam room helps a great deal but it seems to be a tough thing to get rid of, was thinking of taking some Triofan nose decongesting nose spray (it seems to only be available here in Switzerland/France though), it basically consists of:

Main active components: Xylometazolini hydrochloridum, Carbocisteinum

Excipients: Benzalkonii chloridum, Alcohol benzylicus

is this a good idea? would something more anti-histamine like be more appropriate?(I was thinking of taking Dymista although I took anti-histamine PILLS back in August and they seemed to do weird stuff after too long a time, didn't cure it basically) I tried cortizone-based Nasacort spray for a while but it seemed to worsen it after a while (mercifully recovered). Would like some opinions please. This problem is highly irritating but I have some hope it will go as the tinnitus has already completely disappeared and I do think it gradually improved very slightly, but I can't tell for sure... I'm basically not in despair but I need opinions as soon as possible. want to get rid of this for good. My left ear is more blocked than my right HOWEVER my right cheekbone sometimes feels like its been strangely displaced (seems to be recovering though, better than before), it used to crack in an unpleasant, slightly painful way if i flexed it too much, as I said it's calmed down gradually and feels more flexible but just saying there is a potential element of TMJ in this, Temporomandibular Joint Disorder... Maybe the 5 htp weakened the bones around my ears (it was weakening my limbs already before the pressure eventually reached my ears and I decided to stop taking it), it never seemed to come from the Niacin, niacin seemed to up the blood pressure in my ears but the 5 htp seemed to do something weirder and more peculiar, which I recognise to this day in the current manifestation of this ear condition.

Also, drinking milk at first seemed to help the bones in the right part of my face relax a little but then they felt very inflamed and the hearing dimmed (again, mercifully recovered). Just an additional factor, might be significant. Calcium and all that.

An additional detail, which might sound a bit too much but I feel it's necessary to include - i refrain from masturbation or any form of sexual excitation as this makes the right part of my face ache with the increased pressure (also the left a bit), everytime it feels like it damages the hearing and makes the bones feel fragile and my ears congested. It seems to have recovered every time but it's worrying nonetheless.

all help is appreciated, any thoughts or opinions
    thanks

Last edited by Sean9925; 11-22-2016 at 01:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    5-htp, etd, eustachian tube dysfunction, niacin, serotonin