It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

Ear pain, pressure, vertigo

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
Jrzgrl64
(female)

Jrzgrl64 HB User
Ear pain, pressure, vertigo

It started 3 weeks ago. Rolled over in bed and woosh! First episode of vertigo. It happens when I move my head and sometimes when I don't. Went to the doctor who said both ears were infected. Took antibiotics and meclizine. Ten days later, no better. Went back to doctor. Ear drums still red. Prescribed different, stronger antibiotics and prednisone. Day 3 in new meds and no better. The high pitched noise is driving me insane. I feel so out of it. Balance is a mess, feel like I'm in a fog. Ear pain constantly. No energy. Just want to lay down all day. What is this? When will it go away?

The following user gives a hug of support to Jrzgrl64:
quincy (05-27-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Ear pain, pressure, vertigo

Hi...have you had blood testing done?
What new antibiotics, and how long is this course antibiotics and prednisone?

I feel for you! Hang tough, for it seems you have a few things going on at the same time. Will you be sent to an ENT?
q

Last edited by quincy; 05-27-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
Jrzgrl64
(female)

Jrzgrl64 HB User

First round of antibiotics was 875 mgs of amoxicillin 2x per day. Second round is Cefuroxine 500 mgs 2x a day. Prednisone 10 mgs 2x per day. Meclazine 25 mgs for vertigo. Useless.

I do feel sinus pressure along with ear pain, vertigo and tinnitus. No nasty mucous, just clear and minimal. Lack of energy.

I've never had a sinus infection that didn't respond to antibiotics. Never had one without thick mucous. Never had vertigo. I feel like I've been drinking all day. That high pitch hum is driving me insane. I do have pressure in the ears. If I try to open the tubes, it causes more pain, so I stopped that.

I wish this would go away. If no change by Wednesday I'll go back to the doctor. Tired of feeling like crap.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:38 AM   #4
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi....i feel your pain regarding the vertigo. I have BPPV since 1966, but I was symptomatic for almost 3 years (1999)...24/7.... Had laryngitis and a sinus infecton that needed a few courses of clavulin, and found out as well that both ears were affected with BPPV after the sinus infection had gone. It was a most difficult physical (felt like I was walking on a swinging bridge) and emotional time.

I suggest you see an ENT if you haven't as of yet. Request more thorough investigation for a proper diagnosis, including a culture of the bacteria or fungal infection so that appropriate medication can be given.

q

Last edited by quincy; 05-28-2017 at 08:40 AM.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #5
Wendy792
(female)

Wendy792 HB User

Sounds like Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, when you said trying to "pop" your ears made it worse. If the meds and time doesn't work, you may want to consider the tubes. This helped me in many years ago with similar symptoms.

And sadly, I feel your pain with the dizziness... it's awful. I'm back on these boards again 20 years later due to another problem that involves dizziness... unfortunately, this time the tubes didn't work. Something else going on for me... but good luck to you! Hope you feel better! And please post your progress... that's so important for those of us trying to find answers!

Reply Reply