It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

New onset fluttering sensation in left ear

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
Obordiuk
(female)

Obordiuk HB User
New onset fluttering sensation in left ear

Hello. I am a 29yo female. I take no medications besides the occasional ibuprofen. For the last 2-3 weeks I have been experiencing intermittent fluttering sensations in my left ear. Like the sort of "sound" you hear when you yawn but this is happening spontaneously. I did have a period of allergies but I have not been sick recently. I have no pain. I have been experiencing dizziness, but only when I stand up and it's more of a lightheadedness than a spinning situation. I have a history of sinus problems and chronic sinus infections, but after getting a sinoplasty in 2011 I have not experienced these problems since.

Unfortunately I am traveling in South America for the next 3 weeks and do not have access to specialized medical services. I can however get whatever antibiotics might be needed. I am a nurse and would feel comfortable taking an antibiotic otc as long as it was the right one. Any thoughts? I have been thinking either a middle or inner ear infection but in both cases the symptoms don't seem to quite match.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
sweetpotato13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
Re: New onset fluttering sensation in left ear

I'm no doctor, but I have had that fluttering (without pain) and my guess for myself is that my ear is stuffed. My advice would be to try a decongestant and see if that helps any...

Old 06-12-2017, 11:37 PM   #3
dizzyear
(male)

dizzyear HB User
Re: New onset fluttering sensation in left ear

Hi Obordiuk,

I also have this fluttering sound. I believe you can find more information on this by searching for 'middle ear myoclonus'. This is often caused by a muscle spasm of one of the muscles in the middle ear. I also have this happen, sometimes triggered by a yawn and it lasts for a 1-10 seconds. There is really nothing much to do for this unless it continues for a long time. It feels/sounds weird but is probably nothing to be worried about.

Reply Reply