It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

Vestibular Trouble ... ?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2017, 05:53 AM   #1
bigalxyz123 HB User
Vestibular Trouble ... ?

Hello forum,

Writing from London, UK.

I've been unwell for about 11 years. All manner of problems - initial depression/anxiety/feeling "out of it" (derealisation?), inability to concentrate (getting lost, almost being hit by cars while crossing the road, etc.), latterly some episodes of sudden vertigo - can often be provoked by looking at flickering patterns (dancing shadows, choppy water, rows of trees, etc.) and sometimes by loud noises too. Generally feeling detached and groggy. Usually worst first thing in the morning. I often feel like I'm stumbling around like a zombie. Often my life consists of shuffling between my bed and my sofa for days on end.

Physical activity can be exhausting. Not because of the exertion, however, but because after a while "my head feels all wrong" - I guess it's the moving around, etc. that is the problem.

Sometimes the symptoms lift and I feel a very great deal better. Physical activity is also much easier - can climb mountains, etc. without any real trouble.

Since this all began it has been difficult to work for more than about 3 months at a stretch. Currently I'm off work (have been unable to work for about 6 months). I'm self-employed so I'm starting to have financial problems.

Also some vision problems - can see ok but reading long passages of text is hard work - feels like my eyes and brain are struggling somehow - but the problem isn't with focussing on small text, it feels like some difficulty with "processing" everything in my brain.

My doctor has struggled to make a diagnosis, but the more I read around the subject, the more I think there might be some kind of vestibular problem. The depression, etc. is real but there are so many odd physical symptoms that I don't think mental health is the whole picture.

Also - I had a very bad case of the 'flu in 2005, which left me partially deaf in one ear for about 2 months. It was shortly after that that all my other symptoms started to appear. Could these things be linked?

Have been treated extensively for depression/anxiety over the years with therapy and a number of meds but have had minimal benefit from this. Currently taking 20mg fluoxetine (Prozac) per day but I'm likely to stop soon because I feel little or no improvement.

Have also been tested for obstructive sleep apnoea 3 times over the last 10 years but all 3 tests have come back negative.

Some quite impressive short term relief to be had from alcohol, prescribed diazepam and non-prescribed cannabis (not at the same time, I hasten to add!) but obviously these aren't really good long term options, just a short-term fix.

Grateful for any comments/advice, etc.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-15-2017 at 07:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Reply Reply