It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

Dizzy in shower with eyes closed :(

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #1
Kittycat2014
(female)

Kittycat2014 HB User
Dizzy in shower with eyes closed :(

Hi! I've been dizzy for quite awhile, but pretty much just in the shower when I close my eyes. I've had tinnitus for at least 5 yrs. I have NO flu, head cold, sinus problems, etc. When my eyes are closed in the shower and I move around, I'm still dizzy. I have nausea, but not vomiting. Getting tired of this and don't want to bother GP with this unless I have to. I was dizzy in bed too, but have chronic insomnia and wasn't getting much sleep. Now when I get at least 5 hrs. sleep, I notice dizziness in bed is pretty much gone, but shower thing is driving me nuts! I have no ear pain either. Can you help? TIA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Dizzy in shower with eyes closed :(

Eyes closed as in head back?

Check out BPPV.....and you really should ask to be sent to an ENTmfor full evaluation testing.

There are maneuvers to do such as the Eplet...but that requires you to know what side is affected.

q

Old 08-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #3
Kittycat2014
(female)

Kittycat2014 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Eyes closed as in head back?

Check out BPPV.....and you really should ask to be sent to an ENTmfor full evaluation testing.

There are maneuvers to do such as the Eplet...but that requires you to know what side is affected.

q
Thanks Q, but not head back. Eyes forward, but closed. I saw ENT 2 months ago, he checked both ears and said everything was fine.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #4
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Did you have intensive vestibular testing done and suggestions for referrals from the ent for further testing and vestibular therapy?

q

Old 08-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
Kittycat2014
(female)

Kittycat2014 HB User

Quote:
Did you have intensive vestibular testing done and suggestions for referrals from the ent for further testing and vestibular therapy?

q
No, I didn't because he told me nothing was wrong. I'll be seeing my GP soon to see what she thinks. Thanks for trying to help me.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know the feeling of no diagnosis....but hopefully, the doc will go through more intensive testing, including blood-work, even MRI of your head and sinuses.
Have you had your eyes checked?

Let us know if anything is found.

q

Last edited by quincy; 08-15-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
Kittycat2014
(female)

Kittycat2014 HB User

Thanks Quincy! Yes, mri and a little white matter (lesions), but they said nothing to worry about and I just had a physical and blood work done. Some health issues, but not sure if related to the dizziness. I do have atherosclerosis so may be connected? I'm trying to eat as healthy as I can and have meatless meals with other sources of protein to keep the plaque as little as possible. Hugs!

Old 08-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #8
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi...are you on medications for cholesterol and blood pressure?
I don't believe meat is a cause for plaque in arteries...please do indepth research on that.
Was it your doctor who said to stop meat? And what do you mean by meat...all or just beef? Definitely hydrogenated foods and high salt might be contributors. Are/were you a smoker? And does it run in your family?

If your dizziness is only with eyes closed......curious if you have any neuropathy in your feet or back issues?

q

Last edited by quincy; 08-15-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
Kittycat2014
(female)

Kittycat2014 HB User

Quote:
Hi...are you on medications for cholesterol and blood pressure?
I don't believe meat is a cause for plaque in arteries...please do indepth research on that.
Was it your doctor who said to stop meat? And what do you mean by meat...all or just beef? Definitely hydrogenated foods and high salt might be contributors. Are/were you a smoker? And does it run in your family?

If your dizziness is only with eyes closed......curious if you have any neuropathy in your feet or back issues?

q
No meds for those. My BP is normal. Good cholesterol is good, my GP said. My GP told me to cut back a little on red meat and I am, but I try to have a meatless dinner once or twice a week. I eat plenty of nuts, beans, veggies, etc. I do cheat and eat ice cream, but don't overdo it. LOL I only eat the occasional Campbell's chicken w/rice soup because I have arthritis in wrists and hands and need a break from cooking. Otherwise, no fast food or crappy meals like that and eat low-sodium Tostitos once in awhile. There's heart and stroke on both sides of my family. I quit smoking 9 years ago after smoking for 40. I know. Very bad, but at least I quit. When I do eat meat, which is often, I eat lean, cut off fat or buy lean beef. Don't eat too much beef though. Thanks for your help. I'l let you know what GP says when I finally go see her. I have other health issues and a test coming up.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Kitty,

If you're only dizzy in the shower, I would mainly worry about falling and have grab bars installed. Then take notice if the dizziness goes away when you're holding on. If it does then it might be a sign of a neurological issue. Your feet are supposed to provide signals to your brain for balance. If you're not dizzy when you're holding on, then it could mean that your hand is providing the necessary signals. It might be a good idea to ask your doctor about this to see what he/she thinks.

I wouldn't worry too much about not always eating meat as long as you're getting enough protein from plants. I've been a vegan for 12 years now and doing great! I would never go back to eating animal protein. The only thing I need is a small B12 supplement because B12 comes from animal protein.

Last edited by JohnR41; 08-17-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #11
Kittycat2014
(female)

Kittycat2014 HB User

Thanks so much John! I'm going to try that. I'm also dizzy sometimes just standing or walking, but I think that's usually when I've gotten less than 5 or 6 hrs. sleep. I've had chronic insomnia for 2+ yrs., but my GP knows that. I'm going for my sleep study results tomorrow as a matter of fact so who knows what they'll say. I'll let everyone here know what they tell me.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #12
Nitabean
(female)

Nitabean HB User

If it's what I have at times, and it sounds very similar, it's called benign positional vertigo. Mine originally started from a middle ear infection, although did not go away once the infection subsided. # different doctors gave me different antibiotics to try to clear it up. Nothing worked until I saw my nurse practitioner, who immediately knew what it was and how to clear it up. I had to do specific exercises to get rid of it.

Look up Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV). It should instruct you on exactly how to clear it up since it's awful!

Old 12-21-2017, 09:04 AM   #13
Kittycat2014
(female)

Kittycat2014 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitabean View Post
If it's what I have at times, and it sounds very similar, it's called benign positional vertigo. Mine originally started from a middle ear infection, although did not go away once the infection subsided. # different doctors gave me different antibiotics to try to clear it up. Nothing worked until I saw my nurse practitioner, who immediately knew what it was and how to clear it up. I had to do specific exercises to get rid of it.

Look up Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV). It should instruct you on exactly how to clear it up since it's awful!
Thanks again! Please see my post on BPPV. Hugs!

Reply Reply