It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

Please help diagnose!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
Katherine J

Katherine J HB User
Question Please help diagnose!

Hi All,

Please help me diagnose something that I believe is an inner ear disorder or infection. One week ago, I started to experience tinnitus, fullness, and dull pain/discomfort in my right ear. I've gone to two ENTs about it this week. I got a hearing test, and my hearing is perfect except for a slight variance in the highest pitches in that ear. No signs of infection in outer or middle ear. Jaw is a little tight.

Short background: I was really sick for two weeks around the holidays, and it ended the first week of January. It impacted my ears at the time, particularly the right ear - they felt full, slightly painful, and hearing was a bit muffled. I also used ear plugs nearly every night in December and January because my neighbors had a baby and its cries woke me up. I noticed a couple weeks ago that my ears felt kind of sticky/wet inside when I'd wake up, particularly the right. I didn't realize you're supposed to clean or replace ear plugs (I think I only replaced them three times in that whole period), so I stopped using them a week ago, right as the tinnitus, fullness, and pain/discomfort started.

The ENTs think it's TMJ, and that I've been clenching my jaw at night from the stress of this baby. I don't have a history of TMJ, and it's hard to believe it's just that given my sever cold this winter, and the ear plug misuse. My questions to you are:

-Do you think it could be an inner ear infection in the absence of a middle or outer ear infection, especially since I don't have dizziness, vertigo, or other inner ear infection symptoms?
-Do you think it could be from the cold or ear plugs?
-Have you ever had these kinds of symptoms and found out it was an inner ear infection?
-If so, how did you treat it, and how long until the symptoms went away, particularly the tinnitus? Are anti-vitals an option?

Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
Terr357
(male)

Terr357 HB User
Re: Please help diagnose!

I would strongly suggest that you do not take any antibiotics as I took an antibiotic 3 months ago that is still affecting my vision and I have serious ringing in my ears. Thats all I can suggest to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Terr357 For This Useful Post:
Katherine J (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #3
inittowin
(male)

inittowin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine J View Post
The ENTs think it's TMJ
Ridiculous! Find another doctor. This is practically an old wives tale! (Gosh can you say that these days?)

Sounds like you have ear trouble all right. Suggest you get an alternate opinion and keep going til you are satisfied.

The Following User Says Thank You to inittowin For This Useful Post:
Katherine J (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear Katherine,

I have no faith at all in ENT doctors.
Try a general MD. You are more likely to be taken seriously.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Ask for an x-ray or CT of your sinuses and ears...it will show infection. Your issue can might possibly be in the eustachian tubes.

Have you tried using sinus rinses and decongestant such as sudafed?

q

Last edited by quincy; 03-09-2018 at 10:46 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
Katherine J (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
Katherine J

Katherine J HB User

Hi Quincy,

I got an MRI and everything looked normal. I also went to an allergist, and they found no allergies that could be impacting my sinuses or eustachian tubes. I had a follow up with my ENT, and they looked at the openings of the eustachian tubes, and saw nothing wrong. I also have no fluid or pressure in the ears that are deductible with a tympanogram.

The symptoms that still remain after initial onset five weeks ago are the tinnitus and somewhat louder clicking in each ear, but particularly the right, when I swallow or yawn. I know the eustachian tube typically clicks lightly, but it's definitely louder than normal. Flonase helps a tiny bit. Any ideas about what could be causing this?

Thanks!
Katherine

The following user gives a hug of support to Katherine J:
quincy (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

You could try a mouth guard at night to see if that helps.

Do you have any issues with your neck possibly, new pillow, new products for your face?

There are definitely some viruses that can affect the ear and surrounding mechanics. Many, however, do seem to cause dizziness and balance issues.

Hard to say about out the ear plugs...have you tried antihistamines In case it's an allergy?

Have you had thorough blood workup?

q

Reply Reply

Tags
ear ache, ear fullness, inner ear disorder, inner ear infection, tinnitus