It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• My BPPV is not going away

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-05-2018, 01:28 AM   #1
    ShilIndia
    (female)

ShilIndia HB User
    My BPPV is not going away

Hi, I am a 40 years old female. I had first attack of BPPV 2 months back,i have it in my right ear. Went to the ENT he did epley few times and i am asked to sleep on a wedge pillow or some arrangement, where my head is rested quite above the bed and i am not suppose to turn on my right side.

I had terrible Imbalance and been doing Vestibular rehab exercises i felt better. But whenever i mistakenly turn on my right side during the night, the spinning starts. So the BPPV is there and i get terrible imbalance the next morning. It again takes some days to get better. Some days are bad and some days are better.

I had MRI. CT scans, Ear scans everything is normal. I am diagnosed low in vitamin D and B12, i am taking their supplements from last few days. But BPPV is there its not going away. And the terrible imbalance which follows post this. ENT is says he don't know why it is happening. He has nothing more to offer as a treatment.

Is there anyone who has this and any suggestions? Pls. help !

The following user gives a hug of support to ShilIndia:
    quincy (04-06-2018)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: My BPPV is not going away

Hi...have you not done the Epley at home yourself? If not, I suggest you try it. Twice a day till you improve.

What vestibular exercises are you doing?

q

Old 04-06-2018, 03:11 AM   #3
    ShilIndia
    (female)

ShilIndia HB User

Has it helped you too? i have tried doing epley at home a few times, but the diziness it gives scares me though. I will surely try from today. Also what do you think abt brandt-daroff exercises? will it help if i try them everyday?

Old 04-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I suggest you stop the B-D exercise for now.

The Epley does help. I've had BPPV since 1966.....so, have been through a variety of treatments. What you can do for yourself will be the best in the longrun.

Yeah, the dizziness it causes can be extremely stressful. The other day I was very off when bending forward, so I decided to do the Epley. I have BPPV in both ears, but my left one is most active.
    The extreme dizzy response of the first movement was overwhelming, and I called for my husband to come and sit with me while I waited for it to fatigue. Took almost a full minute (which feels like forever) and I stayed in the left position for another minute before turning my head to the right. The rest was Ok, but you have to follow the full process and not interrupt.

I also suggest you sleep normally...I've not gained any help from elevated or guarding continually.

Explain to me exactly how you do your epley for the right side.

q

Last edited by quincy; 04-06-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:39 PM   #5
    ShilIndia
    (female)

ShilIndia HB User

First of all thanks for replying. I have followed the epley for right ear. Where you look at your right side and lie down fast, the spinning starts and then i let it stop or wait for 30 secs or a min, and then turn on your left side again wait and then roll over with 45 degree angle,again wait and then sit still looking down.It works for me too, but then only temporarily. But diziness (not spinning) and imbalance stays. So will it be forever or will it go? My whole life has changed since i had this BPPV.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-09-2018 at 02:34 AM.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sounds like you are doing it correctly.

There is also the semont maneuver.....maybe check into that and see if it's a better fit. Maybe the crystal is stuck on the cupula and not on a canal......my right ear tends to do better with that.

I think the tendency for us to have attacks periodically is a forever thing once the crystals start to move around beyond their settled state. The factors may be many....from colds, head injury, sinus infection, running, accidents like whiplash.....etc.
    I did have a stint for almost 3 years, 24/7....but I did have a bad sinus infection and it was then presenting in the left ear as well. It has my most hell time...

There can also be a sludge that sort of sloshes or maintains an imbalance regarding brain perception. That might be a possibility for you.

There is a book that I had, but have since lost it and another (probably lent to someone who may have passed it on or conveniently neglected to return them). I will find the name and let yiu know. It explained a LOT about BPPV.

Don't baby yourself during sleep. If you start to feel dizzy when laying on the right side, quickly flip to the left side.

I also use sudafed, sinus rinse and antihistamine if needed.

Do the Epley twice a day, but not before bedtime....do it if you will be up and around.

How is your walking, Any issues with driving?
    Your neck?

I'm so with you on it turning yiur life upside down.....one's functioning is totally skewed.
    q

Last edited by quincy; 04-09-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Reply Reply