It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

BPPV and Constant Spinning?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2018, 06:07 AM   #1
Caitlinator
(female)

Caitlinator HB User
BPPV and Constant Spinning?

Hi I’m new here and these might be silly questions but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar.

Basically 2 days ago I woke up feeling a little dizzy in the morning but the dizziness seemed to slowly subside over the course of the day. Then around 2PM, I got extremely dizzy and left work. Over the course of the evening the dizziness persisted 100% of the time. It did get worse if I turned my head side to side or stood up quickly but even just sitting still I felt pretty dizzy, like room was spinning and tough to focus visually on any particular thing.

I woke up the next day (yesterday) to the same constant spinning and dizziness so I went to the ER where they confirmed I had a left nystagmus. They did a CT scan since I had constant spinning and no nausea but CT scan came back normal. ER suggested I go to an ENT but seemed unsure in the diagnosis of BPPV (mentioned BPPV does get worse with movement which I’m experiencing but usually has nausea and vomiting, which I don’t have).

I’m wondering if anyone here has BPPV with similar symptoms: constantly spinning and dizziness for days now (this is the third day with no relief so far). Does get worse with movement but never subsides completely. No nausea or vomiting.

From my research it seems like BPPV doesnt generally last for 3 straight days with no relief of symptoms and usually would result in intense nausea. I’m essentially worried I was misdiagnosed and wondering if I should go back to the ER if it continues with no improvement rather than waiting another day to see an ENT.

I am a 30 year old female.

***UPDATE EDIT*** I posted a longer reply with more info, but I wanted to add an update that ENT diagnosed me with a swollen vestibular nerve in my inner ear which is creating the BPPV like symptoms. I HUGELY appreciate the replies, advice, and support. It has been extremely helpful. I will be trying the maneuvers mentioned below just in case (couldn't hurt, right!?), and I wish you both the best. Thank you!

Last edited by Caitlinator; 10-05-2018 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Update

The following user gives a hug of support to Caitlinator:
quincy (10-04-2018)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: BPPV and Constant Spinning?

I had positional vertigo and tried a self-help maneuver that worked. If you're interested, you might give it a try. It's simple and doesn't take long. If you do some research you should be able to find videos of a self treatment maneuver for BPPV vertigo.

Also, what helped me was making sure to drink enough water to stay properly hydrated. I'm not sure if that's part of BPPV but I think it helps because dehydration can cause dizziness.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-03-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi....I've had BPPV since 1966 (age 11, although not diagnosed as such till 1975). Started in right ear and then both in 1999. My attacks are sporadic and have lasted up to 3 years (with underlying infection), and the two maneuvers successful for me are the Semont and Epley....depending on symptoms and which ear.

Regarding the info of it always causing nausea and vomiting...not true. It can last 27/7 for days till years.

You have nothing to lose by trying the Epley Maneuver for left ear involvement. Meaning....have your head to the left when starting.

Nothing you take will dissolve them or make them go away, but there are meds that can ease the symptoms such as nausea, lessen fluid in ear if there is inflammation or infection, etc. Depending on the cause of the crystals moving into the canal in the first place...running, falling, sinus or eustachian tube issues, cold, infection, allergies...etc. can be helped by avoidance or using products or meds.

Try the Epley....you might have to do it a few times for many days. Try not to overcompensate by not moving...use your eyes a lot and be very aware of how you walk (purposefully). Your brain can get used to the imbalance after the initial attack.

You should see an ENT for testing, as well as your GP for bloodwork if necessary.

Sudafed, mucinex, sinus rinses, and treatment of sinus infection all helped underlying issues during attacks.

Please keep us updated!

q

Last edited by quincy; 10-04-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:36 AM   #4
Caitlinator
(female)

Caitlinator HB User

Hi! Thank you both for your comments

I am on day 5 of symptoms, and I am definitely still dizzy constantly but it does seem to be slightly "less dizzy" than I was on, say, days 2 and 3, which I guess is an improvement (hard to tell if it's truly getting better or if, as quincy mentioned, I'm getting more used to the imbalance.

I saw an ENT yesterday afternoon and he actually diagnosed me with vestibular neuritis (unlike BPPV, which is what the ER had tentatively diagnosed me with). Apparently this is swelling in my vestibular nerve in my ear?

He said the symptoms should go away on their own in the next few days but offered to write a prescription for a steroid if I wanted to try that to speed the process along (which I agreed to, as at this point I think I'd try anything to get rid of the spinning!). So I have an 8 day prescription for prednisone and I also have the meclizine from the hospital for dizziness (which I haven't been taking so much as it seemed not to be helping).

I'm hopeful that I'll see some improvement this weekend since the doc suggested improvement over the next few days (think he said "within 5 days" specifically) and will be back to work on Monday (been out since this past Monday afternoon), but googling the issue is not helping--lots of stories of symptoms lasting for weeks to months before subsiding completely.

Thank you all again for your help, it is very comforting to know other people have had similar experiences, and simultaneously I am very sorry to hear you have had similar experiences. This has been one horrible week!

The following user gives a hug of support to Caitlinator:
quincy (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi....I'm with you on the horrible week! I cry when I get an attack.....hate them!

Good you went to the ENT and have diagnosis. I have a friend who was on 2 separate courses of steroid, and it helped immenselt.
However, she now has Meniere's.

From the research you've done, create questions for the ENT. Do take the meclezine if needed. Remember, you have improved. The steroid I think is important (short burst) to get the inflammation down asap.

Should you have any issues again, get to the ENT asap....sometimes ear stuff comes in bunches and one can trigger something else like BPPV. If so, ask for further testing.

Regarding what's online....someyimes people aren't tested or couldnt get in yo see a doc for a long while, or may have secondary issues as well. Keep track and note your symptoms, just in case.

Curious if you've started any other meds lately or change in diet?

Thanks for the update....it's appreciated.

Hope this is a one-off. Please let us know how the steroid works for you.

q

Last edited by quincy; 10-05-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
Caitlinator
(female)

Caitlinator HB User

Hi,

Thank you again for the response. These boards have been quite a comfort in a rollercoaster of a week (and being off work a week has been driving me up a wall with boredom and feelings of not being productive!).

Great advice on making notes of symptom changes, I will definitely start a log today.

I donít know that Iíve done anything unusual in the weeks leading up to this. My diet isnít great to be honest but I havenít made any conscious changes to it lately, and no medication changes (I did take one dose of levonorgestrel about 8-10 days prior to symptom onset, though have taken this same dosage a couple times before with no such reaction).

The ENT did comment that itís odd that I didnít have symptoms of some sort of virus precipitating my VN symptoms as apparently the usual cause of this sort of swelling is a virus or infection of some kind, generally sinus related. I read online that extreme stress can result in this as well though, which does make a bit more sense to me as Iíve been under a bit more stress than usual lately and have been keeping long hours, etc. So, Iím a bit inclined at this point to think it may be stress induced.

Iím trying to improve my diet while recovering (more veggies and fiber), as well as cut back on caffeine and cigarettes (an awful habit I know but tough to quit cold turkey). Iíll also avoid alcohol for a few months, though I wasnít a heavy drinker to begin with. I read that exercise might help, so going to start cycling more as well.

Basically in problem solve mode at this point I think now that I have a diagnosis to work from. Posted another post here (not yet approved) asking for other suggestions for treatment (any suggestions welcome!) to help speed this along. Want nothing more than to get back to normal and back to work as soon as I can!

Thank you again for your replies. You have no idea what a comfort this has been after such a scary week! I hope all is well with you and very much appreciate the support.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi....vestibular is very sensitive, and it connects our kenetic, eye, hearing..... every move.
When something is awry, the brain goes into hyper, control-freak mode.

I was asking about food changes because some people cut out complete food groups without understanding their importance....some can cause lightheadedness, but not saying your symptoms are simple....just that they can exacerbate ones overall symptoms even if there is one obvious.

It's possible to have viruses that hit silent and quickly and resolve quickly, but one can be left with residual inflammation of an area that is affected. The short course of pred is a good thing. Not all of us fit into the paradigm of diagnosis criteria.

Quitting smoking.....everything good about it considering the health effects one won't want to deal with later in life. I'm 63 and have lots of autoimmune plus other health issues. Every year of living is like aging 5......sucks. My mom and others I know died from lung cancer and emphysema....suffocating slowly is a scary thing, expecially when I know the feeling from having asthma.
I hear that Zyban is good (which can help with the coping) as are the patches and spray,mbut I think it depends on what askect of smoking one needs. When you make the difficult decision, there is always endless support. Financial gain is a nice bonus

Problem solve mode is good.....do get rechecked by the ENT and if it's mild and inflammation has ceased, you could consider vestibular physio asap.....
Cycling is good, except be aware of how your head is held....sometimes putting pressure on some nerves can give the feeling of imbalance.
Massage might be good.....
If you wrapnyiur hair in a towel, makemsure its a small one....i found that a bigger one tilted my head just eniugh to send me almost to the floor. I huge AHA moment. Using hand towels...thinner ones, or kitchen towels are good. I use hairdresser towels....

Please keep me updated on how you're doing.
Wishing you a speedy recovery,
q

Last edited by quincy; 10-07-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:06 AM   #8
ORKeith
(male)

ORKeith HB User

Hello, Sorry to hear about the dizziness and all. Have you had any profound changes in hearing? Im no doctor, but do suffer from vertigo that lasts from a few seconds to a couple hours. Mine is vestibular with some other symptoms. My Ct was "normal' but after an ENT visit the picture became clearer. A steroid shot through the eardrum relieved my "V" for a few months. I need another one soon. Much blessing and good wishes,
Keith

Old 11-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #9
Caitlinator
(female)

Caitlinator HB User

Hello! I did not have any hearing changes as a result of the vestibular neuritis. After initially getting diagnosed with BPPV at the ER, I went to an ENT who diagnosed me with vestibular neuritis (rather than BPPV).

While at the ENT I did several hearing and balancing tests. I failed the balance tests miserably (for the first week of symptoms I could barely stand and if I laid back and faced the ear where the swelling was, my body basically convulsed from being so completely disoriented and off balance), but passed all hearing tests with completely normal hearing in both ears.

From what the ENT explained, there are 2 nerves in the inner ear that can swell: 1 controls balance and 1 controls hearing. Based on my exam, he said it was likely only the 1 balance nerve was impacted for me which is why my hearing was unaffected.

He also gave me a steroid, which I took from day 4 of symptom onset until about day 10 or 11. My balance and symptoms improved very gradually over the next week. I had the ďbrain fogĒ feeling that so many VN posts reference for an additional 2ish weeks but within about 4 weeks from symptom onset my symptoms were pretty much resolved. So far, they have not returned at about the 7 week mark (knock on wood!).

From my research and based on the ENT visits, it sounds like steroids can work wonders for this and my ENT emphasized that generally symptoms can last up to 3 months, but that because I took the steroid so early in symptom onset he thought my symptoms should resolve within a month which was pretty accurate.

I wish you the best of luck and am sorry you are having similar symptoms. The 4 weeks of symptoms were truly some of the scariest and most debilitating weeks of my life so I know it can be an incredibly frustrating experience to have this constant feeling of dizziness and lack of balance

I hope this helps!

Reply Reply

« Is it Meniere? | - »