It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Vestibular Neuritis - Will a chiropractor help?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #1
    Caitlinator
    (female)

Caitlinator HB User
    Vestibular Neuritis - Will a chiropractor help?

Hi all,

I was just diagnosed with vestibular neuritis yesterday after having symptoms since Monday (this is my 5th day with symptoms). I posted another post about getting diagnosed (went to ER first on Tuesday where they tentatively diagnosed BPPV which they didnít seem confident in, diagnosis wise), but now that I finally have a confident diagnosis from the ENT I feel like I am in problem solving mode and am willing to try anything.

Iím on meclizine for dizziness (this doesnít feel to be working very well) and prednisone to help with the inflammation on the nerve (this I just started yesterday so probably too early to tell a real difference).

Days 2 and 3 were horrible and I do feel like Iím seeing some mild improvement today and yesterday. Room is no longer spinning constantly, only when I move around quickly or walk too fast. But I still have a constant feeling of pressure in my head (I think others have described it as brain fog). The doctor implied this should go away within about another week (so two weeks total from start to finish), though I have to say I am worried having read some of the experiences documented here with symptoms lasting months and years!

Sorry for the long rant, but it has been a long crazy week with little relief and I feel Iíve finally found a place where others know what this is like! Basically what Iím wondering is if anyone has tried a chiropractor for vestibular neuritis and if so, if it helped at all (or if it hurt).

With the steroid and meclizine I feel Iím doing everything I can on the pharmaceutical front. I also googled some VRT exercises you can do at home that Iím starting today. And, Iíve been drinking more water than normal and trying to cut back on coffee and cigarettes (I know a terrible habit but not super easy to quit on a dime) as much as I can while recovering.

Iím just wondering if thereís anything else I could or should be doing to help speed progress? Chiropractor was one option I encountered via google but most information is posted by chiropractors not by people with VN who have actually tried it. One of my SOís good friends is a chiro so Iím tempted to try but was unsure if it would work and am personally hesitant to have my neck and spine manipulated unless it seems like it can really help me (absolutely not intended as an offense for people who use chiros, I respect the profession just personally find it scary for myself).

If anyone has advice related to chiro and VN or any other rehabilitation suggestions Iím not trying I would greatly appreciate any and all advice!

Thank you in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Vestibular Neuritis - Will a chiropractor help?

Not trolling you....lol

I see a chiro often...and have my neck adjusted plus back, etc...., ..my thoughts are it won't hurt, and give relief indirectly. It wont change the inflammation in the inner ear, but can relieve the tension there in your neck and help balance imbalance perception..
    It's definitely been a lifesaver for my pain and horrific headaches since a kid. Yep, tripped while running and fell forward causing whiplash in 1966....interestingly BPPV coincided at the same time as that with the extreme neck smasming and headaches.

q

Last edited by quincy; 10-07-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Reply Reply