It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• fluid in ear

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-01-2003, 04:55 PM   #1
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lib HB Userlib HB User
    fluid in ear

does anyone hear have a constant feeling of fluid in there ear? i have this in my right ear and also popping and crackling in both, is this common with lab? or could this be etd? does edt cause dzziness or motionsickness?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2003, 02:35 PM   #2
    Doug_T

Doug_T HB User
    Re: fluid in ear

I suffered with this for 4 yrs. The pressure, heartbeat and breathing noises, fluid crackling. Tried every pill and spray there is and nothing worked. Finally had tube put in in this sept. and this finally led to the problem. After the ear continued to drain for 4 weeks my ENT sent a sample of the fluid to the lab for a test called "Beta2 Transferrin". This test determined that the fluid is actually spinal fluid from inside my skull, and that there is a leak somewhere between there and my middle ear. I am having surgery at Jefforson Hospital in Philadelphia this thursday to put some type of patch over the leak, so I am praying and crossing my fingers that it works. This condition is apparently pretty rare, but if you cant get any other answers maybe look into this.

Old 12-02-2003, 04:59 PM   #3
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doug_T
    I suffered with this for 4 yrs. The pressure, heartbeat and breathing noises, fluid crackling. Tried every pill and spray there is and nothing worked. Finally had tube put in in this sept. and this finally led to the problem. After the ear continued to drain for 4 weeks my ENT sent a sample of the fluid to the lab for a test called "Beta2 Transferrin". This test determined that the fluid is actually spinal fluid from inside my skull, and that there is a leak somewhere between there and my middle ear. I am having surgery at Jefforson Hospital in Philadelphia this thursday to put some type of patch over the leak, so I am praying and crossing my fingers that it works. This condition is apparently pretty rare, but if you cant get any other answers maybe look into this.
    wow that is amazing, finally an answer, what other symptoms did you have if any? i hope this works out for you and i will have you in my prayers. please keep us posted! lib

Old 12-03-2003, 06:04 PM   #4
    Doug_T

Doug_T HB User

Hi lib,
    Those are the main symptoms. The worst is the constant sound of blood rushing, like a vein is going right through my eardrum. I also used to have crackling sounds every time I swallowed but that seems better since I had the tube put in. same for the pressure-now it just constantly leaks out my ear. I go in 7:45 am tomorrow so am getting nervous. Thanks for the prayers, I will post how it went when I get back (should just be overnight)

Old 12-03-2003, 06:21 PM   #5
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

Quote:
    Hi lib,
    Those are the main symptoms. The worst is the constant sound of blood rushing, like a vein is going right through my eardrum. I also used to have crackling sounds every time I swallowed but that seems better since I had the tube put in. same for the pressure-now it just constantly leaks out my ear. I go in 7:45 am tomorrow so am getting nervous. Thanks for the prayers, I will post how it went when I get back (should just be overnight)
    try not to be nervous, althought i am a worrier so i understand, look at this a a big gift, the doctor is giving you, freedom from this disorder! best of luck and prayers! lib

Old 12-04-2003, 11:46 AM   #6
    Emsybobs
    Inactive

Emsybobs HB User

Lib - yes I get this with Lab and it is common. I am to have tubes in my ears which should help. ETD is also a possibiloty but the treatment will also be tubes (grommets). let me know if you get any further with your problem xxx

Old 12-04-2003, 06:16 PM   #7
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emsybobs
    Lib - yes I get this with Lab and it is common. I am to have tubes in my ears which should help. ETD is also a possibiloty but the treatment will also be tubes (grommets). let me know if you get any further with your problem xxx
    how long have you had lab, do you have fluid in one or both ears? what were your symptoms again, cant remember if i read them before? did and ent suggest this? mine seems to think its not lab, says it does not last more than 6 weeks and does not stop and start. thanks lib

Old 12-06-2003, 10:01 AM   #8
    Emsybobs
    Inactive

Emsybobs HB User

Had lab 14mths, yes it was an ENt who suggested this but a good one...if an ENT says to you Lab lasts 6wks, I would worry a lot about how much they know as that is crap! Fluid is there on and off in both ears. Lab does not stopa nd start, he is right there, its just there in different degrees xxx

Old 12-06-2003, 11:41 AM   #9
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emsybobs
    Had lab 14mths, yes it was an ENt who suggested this but a good one...if an ENT says to you Lab lasts 6wks, I would worry a lot about how much they know as that is crap! Fluid is there on and off in both ears. Lab does not stopa nd start, he is right there, its just there in different degrees xxx
    how did you know when the lab was gone? did they give you anything to try to dry the fluid up? is the fluid trapped in the middle or inner ear? i cant stand this feeling any longer! thanks lib

Old 12-06-2003, 12:27 PM   #10
    sandoval

sandoval HB User

Quote:
    Hi, Doug. Thanks for sharing. I hope you are recovering well from your surgery. I am looking at a surgery for the repair of fistula, which is a tear in either the oval or round window between the middle and inner ear. Sounds quite similar to what you had done. Suspicion of doc is that is what is causing my vertigo episodes and other ear problems -- the vertigo is terrible -- I just don't want to make it worse. Let us know how you're progressing! My symptoms are worse during exertion/straining of any type -- did you have that as well?

Old 12-07-2003, 06:33 AM   #11
    Emsybobs
    Inactive

Emsybobs HB User

Hi, the lab has not gone! Or certainly the dizziness hasnt hence why soon to be having VRT. Never given anything for fluid but as I say, having grommets soon xxx

Old 12-11-2003, 06:19 PM   #12
    Doug_T

Doug_T HB User

Hi All,
    Got back from the hospital yesterday. 2 day procedure took almost a week. Had bad reactions from the anesthetic and the surgery was more extensive than anticipated but doc says all is well. He found what he described as a thin area of bone and a "good sized hole" in the mastoid bone over my middle ear cavity which he filled with bone cement. The headache is really killer right now, but seems like the leakage is stopped but won't really know until the incisions are healed.

lib: thanks for the prayers. Hope you can get some answers soon as well. I know the feeling like you can't take one more minuite and I thought this was going to be my life forever. My biggest mistake was to listen to the dr's that told me there was nothing wrong or nothing to be done. Keep pushing and trying different ones if you don't get any results- someone will be able to help you!

ilndlvr:I have an EMail friend who has the same as you. She also describes terrible vertigo worsened by exertion. She had the surgery and said it literally saved her life, the relief was so great, so I hope you have the same result. Since my problem was not my ear mechanism per se, I fortunately did not have the dizzyness, just unending pressure and noises. this was quite maddening enough (enough to have a nervous breakdown over anyway) You are also in my prayers and I know that you will have a new life after your surgery. Good Luck!
    DT

Old 12-11-2003, 06:27 PM   #13
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

Quote:
    Hi All,
    Got back from the hospital yesterday. 2 day procedure took almost a week. Had bad reactions from the anesthetic and the surgery was more extensive than anticipated but doc says all is well. He found what he described as a thin area of bone and a "good sized hole" in the mastoid bone over my middle ear cavity which he filled with bone cement. The headache is really killer right now, but seems like the leakage is stopped but won't really know until the incisions are healed.

lib: thanks for the prayers. Hope you can get some answers soon as well. I know the feeling like you can't take one more minuite and I thought this was going to be my life forever. My biggest mistake was to listen to the dr's that told me there was nothing wrong or nothing to be done. Keep pushing and trying different ones if you don't get any results- someone will be able to help you!

ilndlvr:I have an EMail friend who has the same as you. She also describes terrible vertigo worsened by exertion. She had the surgery and said it literally saved her life, the relief was so great, so I hope you have the same result. Since my problem was not my ear mechanism per se, I fortunately did not have the dizzyness, just unending pressure and noises. this was quite maddening enough (enough to have a nervous breakdown over anyway) You are also in my prayers and I know that you will have a new life after your surgery. Good Luck!
    DT
    horray for you! i am so happy for you! hope you are feeling 100% for christmas! i am getting a second opinion on mon hopefully. my dr says because i feel fluid and fullness i have hydrops, funny thing is i never had vertigo, just 3 dizzy spells that only lasted a few mins if that and a lot of motion sickness, and weird stuff! so happy for you! lib

Old 12-11-2003, 07:18 PM   #14
    sandoval

sandoval HB User

Hi, Doug. Glad to hear you're home and I will pray that your recovery progresses quickly. Thanks for your prayers as well. I've been wanting a "sign" from God -- I'm a little paranoid about surgery. Just don't want it to make it worse. Then again, living with vertigo attacks that can happen at anytime and trying not to bring them on by suppressing coughs, laughs, exercise, etc isn't all that much fun, either. Thanks for sharing your experience and your friend's. Gives me some hope that there is an answer. P.

Old 09-21-2004, 11:20 PM   #15
    armor

armor HB User
    Talking Re: fluid in ear

I have had popping and cracking along with pressure, hearing loss and tinitus in my ear for over a year. Medical doctors just send me home with a diagnosis of Meniers disease. I have seen a N.D. Nutritional Doctor and he says my problem is that the Amalgum fillings in my teeth have caused mercury poisioning and current flow that effects the workings of the inner ear. I have had several fillings removed with a good deal of sucess. I am still in the process of having them all removed!!!
    There are alot of people with this problem and alot of people also have amalgam fillings.
    You will have a hard time finding a dentist who will agree with this, but after a year of searching I finally found one!
    This is definately worth checking into!!
    God Bless!!!

Closed Thread