It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Hey Jen - neck questions!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2003, 04:38 PM   #1
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
    Hey Jen - neck questions!

Hi Jen,

Just wondering how your symptoms are going and if you've got the neck under control yet?

More than ever I *know* my neck is contributing to this nightmare now. But I'm not sure if the lab caused my neck to be worse which has in turn helped to fuel the lab?? It's a chicken and the egg story....which came first? I'm wondering too how you think your neck contributes to your symptoms? Recently I went back to the laboratory to do microsope work. Just holding my head in a static position over the microscope for a few hours turned my neck into concrete last week. With that came a big increase in chest tightness and anxiety. My sleep has gone down the drain again with this too and I wake in the morning feeling really awful (like I have been running for my life). The whole feeling of anguish just sits in my chest - terrible thing. The problem with getting my neck sorted by a physio is that it too stirs the pot in a BIG way too. I just can't win...it's Catch 22. Any insight here?

Thanks.....Scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2003, 11:51 AM   #2
    Miza03

Miza03 HB User
    Re: Hey Jen - neck questions!

Hey Scott
    I hope you don't mind me giving my two cents.
    I am convinced that I developed neck problems from labyrinthitis and ETD. I was getting better very slowly, but it seemed as the dizzies got a little better, the headaches and neck tension increased. In late October I went to an Orthopedist. He x-rayed my neck and determined that muscle spasm were causing me to lose all the curvature in my cervical spine. He sent me for 8 weeks of physical therapy. I just finished my last session last week. I am at almost 98% most of the time. My headaches are almost non-existent. I no longer carry a bottle of ibuprofen around with me. I still get dizzy spells but they come and go and usually happen when I am either sitting at my computer or driving. My physical therapist gave me stretching exercises to do a few times a day. She also told not to sit in front of the computer for more than 30 minutes without stretching my neck muscles. The same for driving long distances.
    I take a small towel and hold both ends and rotate the towel from front to back over my head. I do this a few times a day. It really helps to stretch the muscles.
    Hope this helps
    Mia

Old 12-15-2003, 02:07 PM   #3
    dizzyinmissouri
    Veteran

dizzyinmissouri HB User

Hi, Scott!
    I am having terrible neck pain and stiffness right now. I am convinced that it is from the imbalance I have been dealing with for 5 months. Today it is so sore. The muscles in my neck just really hurt. My husband will rub my neck and that feels good. It helps me relax, too, which helps. I have tried doing Yoga neck stretches but it makes my neck hurt worse! I am really not sure what to do with it. I am going to go to my balance therapist tomorrow and talk to her about it. I feel like my overall imbalance has gotten somewhat better but my neck, like Mia said, seems to be increasing.
    Let me know if you find any answers. Could use some right now, myself!!!
    Vicki

Old 12-15-2003, 09:02 PM   #4
    terrri

terrri HB User

Hi there....in short i have had labrynthitis three times in past fifteen years.... last time was last october so its over a year..... in january of last year....the horrible neck pain started......horrible.....went to chiropractor...spent hundreds on massages.....to no avail..... then my chance i met a man that practiced shiatsu.... no lie here....i had two treatments with him and the pain went from a ten to a three .....after six treatments...disappeared....coincidence. ..no way .....i still have shoulder tightness but that horrible horrible neck pain...cement feeling is GOne... the dizzys and lightheaded stuff we all have is enough to bear let alone the neck pain.... i thought i was in big trouble the pain was so bad.....so look up shiatsu.... it worked for me..... amazing let me tell you....

Old 12-16-2003, 01:40 AM   #5
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses here. I think it's clear after hearing from you all that this terrible neck pain is part and parcel of labyrinthitis. And just like some of you said, as the dizziness dies away (which mine is doing) the neck pain rises. I wonder if this is part of the journey, a sign that it's on the way out? I've always been prone to neck tension (since 1997) but this is different now - a real cement feeling at times.

Terri - thanks for the info on shiatsu. I might give that a try. Massage is just too much for me as it stirs up my illness too much and I end up feeling more viral than ever.

Another question for you guys with the bad neck and reduced dizziness. How are your energy levels (I'm at the 3.5 month mark)? This week, just walking up a staircase is like climbing Mt Everest. It feels like I have glandular fever without the fever or swollen glands....it just goes on and on with low energy, stiff neck, daily headaches and the odd hit of vertigo. The virus from h*ll this truly is!

Cheers.....Scott

Old 12-16-2003, 06:18 AM   #6
    Emsybobs
    Inactive

Emsybobs HB User

Hi Scott.

The Mount Everest feeling is typical Lab am afraid. Had that for many months. Still get very tired. Just having an inner ear prob also makes you v tired, plus the virus on top of it...

I have also had a history of tension headaches. Must say they didnt increase with the Lab, were just the same, but have finally cracked them with visits to osteopathy. Its been amazing and get about 1 headache a month now compared to 3 a week. No real link between my neck and dizziness the ENT has assured me and I agree. Inner ear and neck dizziness are different. But neck stiffness is not uncommon with Lab as your muscles are working harder to keep you balanced and having to adjust to your head being placed in an odd position cos of bad balance. xxx

Old 12-16-2003, 05:12 PM   #7
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hi Emsybobs

Thanks for that...I just wonder why my neck stirs up my symptoms? If I massage the back of my neck, particularly in the sore areas, guaranteed I'll start to feel worse - more spaced and then more anxious. If I do any activity where my neck is in a static position (reading, computer etc) I can feel the symptoms rising sometimes. This neck tension/ weakness is different from anything I've had before - all the way down the cervical spine it seems and into the scalene muscles of the shoulders. Do you think it's possible the virus just hangs around week after week causing this muscle weakness as well as creating the extra effort necessary for balancing? I know other viruses can screw up neck muscles etc (like meningitis).

Thanks.....Scott

Old 12-16-2003, 06:12 PM   #8
    terrri

terrri HB User

hi there..im not sure that the neck tension goes hand and hand with the dizzys leaving..i think its just our bodies tightening up in response to being off balace...were attempting to compensate and not fall so we tense up....thats my take on it...and all the pillows we sleep on doesnt help matters...sigh.... one day at a time...drink ton of water...try to exercise...and be positive...the body has a way of healing itself if we allow it.... ps... i know the horrors of inner ear dysfunction but am attemtping to stay postive to get though this.....im on month thirteen and so much better...but i have moments days when i feel really crappy...but only improving...my biggest fears are its return as ive been hit with this three times and each time it took several years to feel like me again .,...oh well...it could be worse....

Old 12-16-2003, 06:39 PM   #9
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thanks terri...you're probably right with the neck being worked over-time...just wonder why it triggers panic/anxiety when I'm at the PC or holding my head in a static position. Scary stuff because I can't do my work at all like this. Apart from this mad feeling that comes over me I'm otherwise feeling OK throughout the rest of my body apart from being tired a lot.

Scott

Old 12-17-2003, 03:54 AM   #10
    Emsybobs
    Inactive

Emsybobs HB User

Hi Scott, I'll tell you why massaging your neck etc makes symptoms worse - the neck is involved with balance so massaging it will increase stuff as your inner ear is not working properly. This does not necessarily mean you have a neck problem which is creating the dizziness.

Yes Terrri is spot on that the tension comes from tensing and out heads being in weird places as we compensate and try to deal with our bad balance.

Try massage (although it'll make you temporarily dizzy, it'll ease tension) or osteopathy as I say - this doe snot increase my symptoms.

The virus DOES stay a long time - it's a nasty one I think. Certainly I and other people on here were viral for a long time after the head monster hit. Don't worry - just take it easy and give your body chance to recover.

xxx

Old 12-17-2003, 04:54 AM   #11
    Miza03

Miza03 HB User

I just wanted to add that when I was feeling really dizzy if I massaged my neck behind my ear I would get really nauseous. Not sure why but the symptoms definitely got worse.
    Just past the nine month mark for me.... 98% and improving!!!
    Mia

Old 12-18-2003, 02:07 PM   #12
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thanks all for your responses. Once again you have all helped me to calm down about all of this. This has got to be the biggest test of patience anyone can endure. Turns out I was also getting hit with a chest cold that is now in full swing. It has really cranked up my symptoms again....but that's pretty normal I guess having read some previous posts about colds and lab.

Best,

Scott

Closed Thread