It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• "White Marks" on MRI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2004, 12:37 PM   #1
    MadB

MadB HB User
    Question "White Marks" on MRI

Hello Board,

After being diagnosed with Labyrinthitis by three doctors I was sent for an "routine" MRI scan. The consultant was so sure that there was nothing would be found that he did not arrange another appointment.

A couple of weeks ago I got a call from the ENT doctor saying that they couldn't find anything directly related to the Labyrinthistis on the scan, but that there were "white marks" which he could not interpret and was therefore sending it to a neurologist.

I have an appointment there in two weeks, but can anyone shed any light on what this might be? I have already posted to the brain and neuro board, but no responses.

For info: I have had labyrinthitis for 8 months and am slowly starting to feel better. However, I still feel off balance and slighty dizzy most of the time, I also get tired easily, apart from that (!) my health is O.K.

Thanks

MadB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2004, 03:54 PM   #2
    willsmom

willsmom HB User
    Re: "White Marks" on MRI

Hi Madb,

Well I am absolutely no expert but I have heard and read a couple of things about these type of marks.

Sometimes they are quite simply 'nothing' at all and a quirk that you have with no special signifigence.

You have described the mri as showing small white marks and not as lesions, so I am not entirely sure what you mean. What I do know is that occasionally small lesions are an indication of MS - now don't get all scared as they have to be over a certain size and number and so forth. Another possibility is that they can indicate a possible mild tri or stroke. Since you say that you have a number of them then that seems pretty unlikely.

The neuro appointment is soon and frankly I would not get panicked as if the MRI was showing anything remotely life threatening or serious they would have wiped you in immediately for further testing.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on at the appointment!!

Last edited by willsmom; 01-06-2004 at 04:02 PM.

Old 01-06-2004, 04:56 PM   #3
    Subs30
    Inactive
    (male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
    Cool Re: "White Marks" on MRI

Hi

Notice you are located in the UK---so not sure about how they do it(MRI Process) there--but would think it would be close to the same as here(U.S.)

---here the results(films) would be read my a Diagnostic Imaging Doc and a report given to the requesting Doc(ENT in your case)

--- outlining the "technique used", "clinical reason" for the MRI, whether it was done with and with/out contrast, "medical findings" from the MRI by the Diagnostic Imaging Doc and his/her "impressions"

---this would be a written signed report--sent to your ENT---I would ask for a copy of it---here in the U.S. it is required by law that it be provided

...."but that there were "white marks" which he could not interpret "....

While it is true that Neurologists understand/read/interpret etc.. MRI's here---the MRI report by the Diagnostic Imaging Doc---would have "ID" anything that required further checking---however not sure---about UK

---Of course if such a MRI report exists and your ENT has it---you could just ask him/her what did the Doctor who read the MRI--say about the results---without the written MRI report of the "findings"---I guess you have to wait until your appointment.

Old 01-08-2004, 05:11 AM   #4
    Miza03

Miza03 HB User
    Re: "White Marks" on MRI

Hi MadB
    Not sure if this helps but my neurologist sent me for an MRI. He told me that sometimes thyroid disease shows up as white spots on the brain. I have hypothyroidism but my MRI had no white spots. Nothing else showed up either. I had labyrinthitis in March 2003 with ETD. I have recovered about 95%.
    Mia

Closed Thread