It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• dizziness/lightheadedness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2004, 02:09 PM   #1
    Tallman

Tallman HB User
    dizziness/lightheadedness

Hello, I first posted this in the anemia and brain disorder forums. I was given a suggestion to check this forum so hear I go.

I've been posting on this board regarding certain things and I'm still looking for some help. I've been experiencing non-stop lightheadedness for almost two months now. I feel this 24/7. I assume that lightheadedness is the best way to describe my problem. I have yet to have a feeling where it feels like the world around me is going in circles. I guess the way to descibe it is that it feels like it is something that can happen. I had a relief period in January of a few days or a little more than a week were I didn't feel anything. Now I've been having this problem for almost three weeks and it feels like it is slowly getting worse. Like I mentioned in another thread I had the anemia test done where thalassemia was found. In a visit with my Dr. I was told that I have nothing to worry about. I've also had tests done for thyroid, iron, white cells, Hemoglobin and potassium and they all came up normal. My blood pressure is fine and I don't believe I have any blood sugar problems. So now I wonder what should I make of all this? I'll be having head MRI on Wednesday. Is that good enough?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2004, 02:23 PM   #2
    jtiegs
    Veteran
    (female)

jtiegs HB User
    Re: dizziness/lightheadedness

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallman
    Hello, I first posted this in the anemia and brain disorder forums. I was given a suggestion to check this forum so hear I go.

I've been posting on this board regarding certain things and I'm still looking for some help. I've been experiencing non-stop lightheadedness for almost two months now. I feel this 24/7. I assume that lightheadedness is the best way to describe my problem. I have yet to have a feeling where it feels like the world around me is going in circles. I guess the way to descibe it is that it feels like it is something that can happen. I had a relief period in January of a few days or a little more than a week were I didn't feel anything. Now I've been having this problem for almost three weeks and it feels like it is slowly getting worse. Like I mentioned in another thread I had the anemia test done where thalassemia was found. In a visit with my Dr. I was told that I have nothing to worry about. I've also had tests done for thyroid, iron, white cells, Hemoglobin and potassium and they all came up normal. My blood pressure is fine and I don't believe I have any blood sugar problems. So now I wonder what should I make of all this? I'll be having head MRI on Wednesday. Is that good enough?
    Hi Tallman,
    Generally, "lightheadedness" refers to the feeling as if you will pass out, you go to black, and then ultimately you may, depending on the circumstances. A good example is if you stand up too fast and the blood rushes to your head, you go dark.

Is this the symptom you are referring to, or are you speaking of disconnected or spacey headedness? General disequillibrium. That is different. It seems a lot of us have this symptoms vs the lightheadedness. I can kind of equate it to having one too many drinks without the fun part. Feeling like you are on another plain. Not grounded. If you do a web search, you may want to look at some sites that describe inner ear disorders or vestibular disorders. It will give you a better sense if what you are feeling is consistent with this category of illness.

As far as tests, there are in-office exams they can do to get you started, and then hearing, ENG, ECoG and some others. But at least in my case, the blood testing and MRI were the beginning. Then my doc ordered the ENG and ECoG. And I must warn you that these tests I mentioned aren't all that definitive. So don't put too much faith in them. Several people here that have inner ear problems have normal results. They can only test a portion of the balance nerves, not all of them. I would try to see an ENT, and eventually a neuro otologist if it is suspected to be inner ear related.

Good luck, and maybe someone else will have more insight than me. Just thought I would through that out there.
    Julianne

Old 02-22-2004, 04:51 PM   #3
    Tallman

Tallman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtiegs
    Hi Tallman,
    Generally, "lightheadedness" refers to the feeling as if you will pass out, you go to black, and then ultimately you may, depending on the circumstances. A good example is if you stand up too fast and the blood rushes to your head, you go dark.

Is this the symptom you are referring to, or are you speaking of disconnected or spacey headedness? General disequillibrium. That is different. It seems a lot of us have this symptoms vs the lightheadedness. I can kind of equate it to having one too many drinks without the fun part. Feeling like you are on another plain. Not grounded. If you do a web search, you may want to look at some sites that describe inner ear disorders or vestibular disorders. It will give you a better sense if what you are feeling is consistent with this category of illness.

As far as tests, there are in-office exams they can do to get you started, and then hearing, ENG, ECoG and some others. But at least in my case, the blood testing and MRI were the beginning. Then my doc ordered the ENG and ECoG. And I must warn you that these tests I mentioned aren't all that definitive. So don't put too much faith in them. Several people here that have inner ear problems have normal results. They can only test a portion of the balance nerves, not all of them. I would try to see an ENT, and eventually a neuro otologist if it is suspected to be inner ear related.

Good luck, and maybe someone else will have more insight than me. Just thought I would through that out there.
    Julianne
    Its not so much that I feel that I will pass out. I don't have any feeling of going black. Its basically a feeling where I feel like I'm going to be dizzy. It kind of feels like someone keeps pushing my head or that my head is going to fall off. The feeling comes with head movement, especially when my head is facing downwards. I feel it from the back of my head. BTW, thanks for the reply. Hopefully you and others will respond to my posts in this thread.

Last edited by Tallman; 02-22-2004 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spelling and adding something

Old 02-22-2004, 05:01 PM   #4
    willsmommy
    Veteran

willsmommy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallman
    Its not so much that I feel that I will pass out. I don't have any feeling of going black. Its basically a feeling where I feel like I'm going to be dizzy. It kind of feels like someone keeps pushing my head or that my head is going to fall off. The feeling comes with head movement, especially when my head is facing downwards. I feel it from the back of my head. BTW, thanks for the reply. Hopefully you and others will respond to my posts in this thread.
    Hi Tallman,

This is very similar to what many of us exeperience, I have had labs (a viral infection in the inner ear) and am left feeling very much as you describe. Its like you say not a blacking out like you are about to faint or loose consiousness. But rather an odd feeling in the body it sort of feels like the body is rather light or odd and then some times that feeling is on the head. Also with the sensation that I may be dizzy.

I would go back to your GP and ask about the possibility of an inner ear disorder. In the mean time why not do a search on the net for the symptoms of dizzyness and see what you can relate to. Alternatively have a read ofd some of these and the older threads here!

Good Luck and welcome to this forum.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:37 PM   #5
    Anastasia
    Inactive
    (female)

Anastasia HB User

hi tallman

welcome!

i would definatley head backto your GP and ask for a referal to an ENT (ear nose and throat doc). your story sounds pretty familiar unfortunalty. we all feel pretty lost-in-space. an ent will run some standard tests and hopefully give you some insight as to what is going on.

take care

Closed Thread