It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• constant dizziness problems along with vision/fatigue/confusion/balance problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2004, 03:02 AM   #31
    hbep
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User
    Re: constant dizziness problems along with vision/fatigue/confusion/balance problems

Hi Jonathan,

Re - both your questions. To be honest I think everyone is different with regard to how much they can do. In general it's a good idea to push yourself, but not too so hard that you just end up feeling overwhelmed and dreadfully ill, it's often a question of trial and error. The fact that there is no consistency in how well you do, some days ok, some days not, is, unfortunately all part and parcel of this disorder. The recovery is not linear, and sometimes why you are better on one day than another just makes no sense. The only definite thing I can say is, you will improve, it just won't seem like it sometimes and don't be put off going out if sometimes being active makes you feel worse, this is a BIG mistake, whatever happens, as long as you don't exhaust yourself, it's important not to get phobic about going out. Just be sensible about it, if you need to rest, then rest, if you're just too ill to do stuff one day, then keep it low key, save the bigger stuff for days you can manage it.

The glasses/contact lens problem is common with an inner ear disorder. Every time you wear something different, namely different glasses, or changing from glasses to contacts, your brain has to do a whole host of calculations to understand the change. In someone with no vestibular disorder this often takes an initial adjustment period where they might feel a bit off. In someone with a vestibular disorder it's harder, your brain is already v. busy trying to work out what's going on with your damaged balance nerve, so throw in some new visual info and your symptoms can take a bit of a dive. If you want to be able to shift between your glasses and your contacts it's a question of toughing it out, dealing with the increased symptoms until your brain has habituated to the shift. You will get there if you persevere but it takes time.

By the way - excellent news about the referral to the hosp - hope you hear from them soon.

Hope this helps,

hbep.

Last edited by hbep; 03-09-2004 at 03:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2004, 09:12 AM   #32
    jonp
    (male)

jonp HB User
    Re: constant dizziness problems along with vision/fatigue/confusion/balance problems

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hbep
    Hi Jonathan,

Re - both your questions. To be honest I think everyone is different with regard to how much they can do. In general it's a good idea to push yourself, but not too so hard that you just end up feeling overwhelmed and dreadfully ill, it's often a question of trial and error. The fact that there is no consistency in how well you do, some days ok, some days not, is, unfortunately all part and parcel of this disorder. The recovery is not linear, and sometimes why you are better on one day than another just makes no sense. The only definite thing I can say is, you will improve, it just won't seem like it sometimes and don't be put off going out if sometimes being active makes you feel worse, this is a BIG mistake, whatever happens, as long as you don't exhaust yourself, it's important not to get phobic about going out. Just be sensible about it, if you need to rest, then rest, if you're just too ill to do stuff one day, then keep it low key, save the bigger stuff for days you can manage it.

The glasses/contact lens problem is common with an inner ear disorder. Every time you wear something different, namely different glasses, or changing from glasses to contacts, your brain has to do a whole host of calculations to understand the change. In someone with no vestibular disorder this often takes an initial adjustment period where they might feel a bit off. In someone with a vestibular disorder it's harder, your brain is already v. busy trying to work out what's going on with your damaged balance nerve, so throw in some new visual info and your symptoms can take a bit of a dive. If you want to be able to shift between your glasses and your contacts it's a question of toughing it out, dealing with the increased symptoms until your brain has habituated to the shift. You will get there if you persevere but it takes time.

By the way - excellent news about the referral to the hosp - hope you hear from them soon.

Hope this helps,

hbep.

even when im better, i.e. fully recovered and i put my lenses in, will i still find it difficult to use my lenses. i.e. will my brain still need to compenstate? Or will i only get these symptoms whilst i am ill. If so ill just wait until im better to wear my lenses - and find an alternate means of exercise for the moment as the symptoms were very bad and i didnt feel comfortable at all!!!

Old 03-09-2004, 10:07 AM   #33
    Megargy

Megargy HB User

Hi, I have had symptoms for about two months now, it started the day after I returned from an international flight, the next day I felt all woozy, kind of a drunk, spaced out feeling. A few days down the road it turned into lightheadedness, and pressure in the forehead, and headaches, so I went to see a doctor about possible sinus problems, they put me on meds and said thats what it was. Well after two weeks, nothing cleared up, so the Doctor ordered an MRI of the brain and sinusis, and it came up normal, the only thing was there was a small polyp in the maxilary sinus. So I went to an ENT he tested ears and everything, nothing came up so he sent me to a neurologist. He examened me and did blood test and an eeg and nothing came up. And I am still having symptoms of lightheadedness and headaches, and pressure, a spaced out feeling, any suggestions, I"m going crazy, could it be that it will go away on its own, also one more thing when I am up walking, I feel like I can fall over to the right, but never do, help

Old 03-09-2004, 11:49 AM   #34
    Emsybobs
    Inactive

Emsybobs HB User

Where are you from Megargy? Next stop for you I feel is a Neurotologist. Probs after flight could be Eustacian tube or sinus or ear related. xxx

Old 03-27-2004, 11:47 AM   #35
    tonton

tonton HB User

try vitamin b1 (100 mg) a day. you will see that it will clear in 2 days. also use avomine instead of stetemil when you under attack.
    dr.Gunduz

Old 03-27-2004, 01:33 PM   #36
    stackzone
    (male)

stackzone HB User

Im new at this. Ive had my symptoms for 3 years and have been to every dr including three neurologists. I was a college football player and a cop so im not used to being inactive and stuck in the house 24/7. my sympotms are:
    weak mornings
    off balance feeling
    dizziness when i look up and down,
    wash a car, go into a store etc
    also my vision is messed up like sparks and images are raised, but when the neurologist gave me vison tests i passed them.
    ***** mornings
    weak hands

this seems to be mostly a ear site, so if i am barking up the wrong tree im sorry,,

very fustrated
    bh

Closed Thread