It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• balance problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2004, 04:33 PM   #1
    pauline0

pauline0 HB User
    Question balance problems

i have a balance problem that came on suddenly i was ok, when i went to bed at night, and in the morning my balance was not good .my doctor says its positional vertigo but cannot see anything wrong with my ears when looking into them . medication is helping but this is lasting a long time have had this for about 6 weeks now can anyone tell me how long this will last and if it will clear up .thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2004, 07:22 PM   #2
    jcrock791

jcrock791 HB User
    Re: balance problems

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pauline0
    i have a balance problem that came on suddenly i was ok, when i went to bed at night, and in the morning my balance was not good .my doctor says its positional vertigo but cannot see anything wrong with my ears when looking into them . medication is helping but this is lasting a long time have had this for about 6 weeks now can anyone tell me how long this will last and if it will clear up .thanks
    Hi Pauline,

Sorry to hear about your balance problems. I would suggest going to see someone who specializes in inner ear disorders, since more often than not it is vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and balance problems. An ENT (Ear/Nose/Throat) doc can set you up for some tests called an ENG and other things to see whats going on instead of just looking in your eyes which often doesnt tell us much unless you have something tangible like wax or other objects in the visible ear canal.

THey also may recommend MRIs or CT scans in order to rule out other causes. Unfortunately, like many others on this board, its often as much of pain to find a doc who knows about these sorts of things as it is dealing with the problem itself! But good luck to you, and be sure to write down for symptoms and be very specific in describing them to the new doc--tell them exactly what you are feeling no matter how weird it sounds.

I found that by ruling certain things out my anxiety levels went down, and dont settle for any doctors who you have a bad feeling about or who tell you there is nothing you can do for balance problems because you'll find upon reading these posts from others its just not true.

Good luck!!

Old 05-07-2004, 03:45 AM   #3
    Emsybobs
    Inactive

Emsybobs HB User

Hi pauline, a doctor can detect middle ear problems by looking into your ears but certainly not inner ear (balance) ones. Can you describe what your dizziness feels like? Is it all the time or episodic? Is it lightheadiness or do things move? xxx

Old 05-07-2004, 06:33 AM   #4
    pauline0

pauline0 HB User

the problems are there all the time without medication but with the tablets its not there at all until they start to wear off. its like sitting on a see saw swaying
    just off balance no sickly feeling.

Last edited by pauline0; 05-07-2004 at 06:34 AM.

Old 05-09-2004, 06:33 PM   #5
    Mica09
    Veteran
    (female)

Mica09 HB User

Pauling, what medication are you taking.

Old 05-10-2004, 01:45 AM   #6
    pauline0

pauline0 HB User

i am taking sturgeon forte cinnarizine 75mg one per day

Old 05-10-2004, 01:47 AM   #7
    pauline0

pauline0 HB User
    Smile Re: balance problems

Last edited by pauline0; 05-10-2004 at 01:50 AM.

Closed Thread